You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GNR.FM | Destruction Is Coming

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't really understand why people think This I Love is garbage but enjoy Breakdown, NR, or Estranged.

They're all piano ballads with emotional guitar.

This I Love is a beautiful song.

People claim to be GnR fans then shit on TiL are morons and arent real GnR fans. The guy is baring his soul & they take a dump on it calling it garbage. Theyre patheic. It’s brilliant. It’s not perfect but it is brilliant.
Finck was one of his worst decisions.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Finck was one of his worst decisions.

in context of "classic GNR" probably yes.
in wider context hell no.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

johndivney wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck the Chinese era. It is fucking shit. You guys act like it is Led Zeppelin IV or some shit. It is a shit album. Move on.

CD is a great album.
Bar Catcher. It is shit.
Better/The Blues/If the World/Twat is proof enough. There was method in his madness. Catcher was shite tho.

You shut your whore mouth, Catcher was great in the original demo version.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Better
Street of Dreams
There Was a Time
Catcher
Prostitute

This 5, looking at Cd now, 10 years later, are the ones that could make it onto classic GNR greatness.

Then we have generic rockers (Scraped, IRS, CD, Riad ), the try so hard to be industrial ones (Shacklers, also Oh My God, Silkworms), and megalomania ballads with no real meat to them (This I Love, Sorry and to some extent Madagascar)

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The Top 5 is spot on.

I wish CD would've come out in 1999/2000 and then CD2 would've been a prog funk/industrial jam album with Riad, Silkworms, etc.

I wonder if CD is re-released with Slash and Duff, the track listing is altered.

He needs a do-over. Either go full on Act I, Act II, Act III in a single compilation or give me a whole cloth.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wagszilla wrote:

The Top 5 is spot on.

I wish CD would've come out in 1999/2000 and then CD2 would've been a prog funk/industrial jam album with Riad, Silkworms, etc.

I wonder if CD is re-released with Slash and Duff, the track listing is altered.

He needs a do-over. Either go full on Act I, Act II, Act III in a single compilation or give me a whole cloth.

I'd add IRS to the list, it's a belter and would sound great with Slash/Duff (probably better than Prostitute, if I'm being honest).

One option would be to take the five most popular Chinese Democracy tracks and re-record them with Slash and Duff, then whack that on a bonus CD with a Best Of collection. But I suspect that ship has sailed.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Yeah, IRS is a fun song.

It adds some much needed levity to the whole thing. I like If The World for similar reasons.

In view of Axl saying he "saw CD as a double", I think smart money would be on CDII as your next album with the Slashified CD Revisited as your deluxe album bonus. Or Slash and Duff could say nice computer noises ya got there on CD II, Axl, we only like the other stuff, so let's do those.

Who knows. I'm not expecting any of it.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck the Chinese era. It is fucking shit. You guys act like it is Led Zeppelin IV or some shit. It is a shit album. Move on.

CD is a great album.
Bar Catcher. It is shit.
Better/The Blues/If the World/Twat is proof enough. There was method in his madness. Catcher was shite tho.

You shut your whore mouth, Catcher was great in the original demo version.

Totally agree...Catcher wasn't the only song where I thought that the final version was a bit of a downgrade from the demos.

I also thought it was weird how they took Brian May's solo out so bumblefoot could kind of play the exact same solo...his version of it anyway. There are times in that song that I say to myself....'my god there's just too much going on here...'

Catcher was definitely my fav coming out of the demos period.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

Bumble's solo is miles better than JM's. anyway, I don't like the song that much, but there are some more evident fillers, like Scraped - "Axl and the chipmunks show".

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
zombux wrote:

Bumble's solo is miles better than JM's. anyway

neutral

zombux wrote:

I don't like the song that much

The CD album lacked levity.

It sounded like someone with a lot on their chest and was compelling at times but on the whole came across as someone on the first date who tells you they are in love, want to move in, and get married right away. And are also insane. Very, very insane.

I never got the Catcher demo at first but after listening it provides what the rest of the album lacks. You guessed it: levity. Axl almost sounds like he doesn't give a shit singing it. It's just off the cuff. It has a certain melodic flavor that reminds me of Yesterdays. I liked the little ambient flourishes.

Bumble's bungle classic rock-ifies a good chill-wave alt pop song.

zombux wrote:

Scraped - "Axl and the chipmunks show".

It needed work. It was half done.

I really like the lyrics and Bucket's riffs/solo though.

Board footer