You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: GNR soundchecks Slither

Found this video where you can actually hear what he says before the song – looks like he was having sound issues throughout the gig.

“This is our first day back. Pretty much anywhere I go on this stage I’m getting thrown out sound-wise, plus I suck. So, we’re going to try something.”

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I've never heard of such a big act having so many sound problems and not firing the sound people.  At some point you have to realize the sound issues aren't a mistake.

To me it sounds like he can't hear himself and he's fishing around for the notes of a song he doesn't know that well.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

It's not drastic but I do think Axl looks better.

elevendayempire

FlashFlood wrote:

It's not drastic but I do think Axl looks better.

He's definitely shed a few pounds, yeah. He also seems to have undergone a complete personality transplant since the 90s/early 00s – he used to be really aggressive and bolshy, now he's suddenly all meek and self-deprecating. Remember Rio '01, where he was having the same sort of sound problems? ("Okay, nevermind!") Or Download '06?

EDIT: listening to that second one, you can't help but feel a bit sorry for him. That was the big comeback festival show, the one where they pulled out all the stops to win over the casuals to the Chinese Democracy band, with guest slots from Izzy and Sebastian Bach, the one that was being broadcast... and the whole show is fucked by technical problems.

elevendayempire

buzzsaw wrote:

To me it sounds like he can't hear himself and he's fishing around for the notes of a song he doesn't know that well.

Yeah, it sounds like that to me. Plus he gets the emphasis wrong on the "That's the spot where you run to me," line (it's meant to be "That's the spot where you run to me," he sings it "That's the spot where you run to me," which throws the "me" onto the next line), 'cos he's reading the words off the teleprompter.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

At some point you have to realize the sound issues aren't a mistake.

I've come to this conclusion too.

I'm sure occasionally there's genuine issues where they can't hear themselves - which makes life hell for musicians - but in this type of professional big budget show it ought to be rare as hell.

IMO, Whenever he seems to be having a particularly weak night they hide him as low in the mix as they can get away with to cover it with the live audience, then if it's a show that's being broadcast on radio or live streamed or something where they can't completely control the output then he always seems to have been performing despite having a major cold.

I hate to be a prick like this but it's happened so many times now I can't ignore it.

Maybe he's just unlucky and falls ill whenever there's an important appearance and maybe the sound issues just legitimately haunt the band despite the budget and crew.

But it doesn't seem to happen to other acts, and when you add it to the fact that there's obviously some issue with his voice, it seems a bit fishy.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Woah. I really wanted be excited and like it. But fuck. There's nothing else much to say.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

It’s funny, for years people were always like, Axl would slay those songs on Contraband, and sing them better than Scott, but that really was just... meh

So damn disappointing

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Guys, the Slither videos were recorded worse than my flip phone in 2006... are we really gonna judge anything based on that bullshit? Yeah, Axl sounds like shit on it and so does everyone else, that's how fucking shitty the Slither videos are. At least wait and hear half decent shit before you start crying like schoolgirls.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Brett wrote:

Guys, the Slither videos were recorded worse than my flip phone in 2006... are we really gonna judge anything based on that bullshit? Yeah, Axl sounds like shit on it and so does everyone else, that's how fucking shitty the Slither videos are. At least wait and hear half decent shit before you start crying like schoolgirls.

Fernando, is that you?

Board footer