You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: How'd Axl get clean versions of the "Madagascar" soundbytes?

ClaudeF wrote:

It's interesting to compare the "Casualties of War" speech as it appears in the movie vs. how it appears in "Madagascar."

In the film, music plays behind Michael J. Fox as he speaks:

However, in "Madagascar," all we hear is his voice.

Did Axl reach out to the movie producers for the original recording? Is it just a bit of studio wizardry through which he extracted the dialogue?

I was always impressed by the detail in this post from 2006, outlining exactly where the quotes come from, two years before the album came out: http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/69170-m … nt-1247883

I first got to hear this song live in 2002 and it never grows old!

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The dialog-only track is one of many parts of a movie's deliverables.

After getting the rights clearance, it'd be a simple matter of calling up whichever company and getting it sent over.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wagszilla wrote:

The dialog-only track is one of many parts of a movie's deliverables.

After getting the rights clearance, it'd be a simple matter of calling up whichever company and getting it sent over.

Yup – it's often used to create new surround sound mixes for DVD, for example.

ClaudeF

ClaudeF wrote:

Very interesting. I tried to isolate the voices using the audio program Audacity, but that only removed the dialogue and left the music!

elevendayempire

ClaudeF wrote:

Very interesting. I tried to isolate the voices using the audio program Audacity, but that only removed the dialogue and left the music!

Sometimes you can pull isolated dialogue tracks from the surround sound mixes on DVD (there might be some effects mixed into that track, 'cause DVDs usually place dialogue in the centre channel):

https://www.derek-lieu.com/blog/2016/12 … ideo-games

Often thought it'd be handy for bands to have a clean version of the Madagascar dialogue samples, so they can do live covers.

ClaudeF

ClaudeF wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Sometimes you can pull isolated dialogue tracks from the surround sound mixes on DVD (there might be some effects mixed into that track, 'cause DVDs usually place dialogue in the centre channel):

Often thought it'd be handy for bands to have a clean version of the Madagascar dialogue samples, so they can do live covers.

That is a really interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

The article mentions extracting individual audio tracks by using Final Cut Pro X ($299 from the Mac App store), Final Cut Pro 7 (which is apparently incompatible with the current Apple operating system), or Adobe Premiere Pro ($20.99 per month - you have to lease it, apparently).

Does anyone know of another audio extractor that retains all channels in a Surround Sound mix? My gut tells me that while the programs listed above are fully-functional video editing platforms, there's probably something out there that *just* does audio ripping and costs less, or is free. I'll continue to search around and share what I find.

The good thing is that this sort of thing *can* be done. The key is doing it affordably! smile

elevendayempire

ClaudeF wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

That is a really interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

The article mentions extracting individual audio tracks by using Final Cut Pro X ($299 from the Mac App store), Final Cut Pro 7 (which is apparently incompatible with the current Apple operating system), or Adobe Premiere Pro ($20.99 per month - you have to lease it, apparently).

Does anyone know of another audio extractor that retains all channels in a Surround Sound mix? My gut tells me that while the programs listed above are fully-functional video editing platforms, there's probably something out there that *just* does audio ripping and costs less, or is free. I'll continue to search around and share what I find.

The good thing is that this sort of thing *can* be done. The key is doing it affordably! smile

Here you go!
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/r … vd.483177/

ClaudeF

ClaudeF wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Awesome! I'll check that out and let you know what happens!

Oh, how I hope the UYI songs end up on Rockband and we get individual instruments again. smile

Board footer