You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Introducing the New Freddy Krueger

misterID wrote:

Samuel Bayer is going to direct. I dig his work. He's made some pretty classic music videos.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Von wrote:

As I said, "Craven did co-pen [Dream Warriors]." Scream never really did it for me. It's just a pop retread of New Nightmare without the panache. Slashers never laid claim to any real box office or cultural significance, be it the early '80s or late '90s. It's always been a marginal subgenre at best. While the rare exception like Scream was able to generate broad appeal, those instances have been few and far between. There were Scream knockoffs that attempted the same success and failed. Once producers saw a self-effacing horror movie could play well to an MTV audience, they ran with it. I wouldn't say it defined an era.

You must've missed the 80's, when Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees became household names, and even little grannies knew who they were, despite not seeing one single film from either franchise.

I think it's culturally significant. It made them modern day cinematic icons for a generation, no different than The Wolf Man or Dracula or The Mummy back in the day.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Jackie Earle Haley, who recently played Rorschach in Watchmen, will now be wearing the razor glove and trademark red and green sweater.

The film's direct, Samuel Bayer, says of Haley, "Looking at his performance in Watchmen, here's a guy playing a character under a mask yet you feel tremendous empathy for him. And in Nightmare he is going to be under prosthetic make-up. You have to feel something for the character. The greatest villains are multi-dimensional and I think he will bring that to the character."

So, does Bayer think Hayley risks being typecast because of the role?

Bayer says, "It's what you bring to the material. He's a well-rounded actor who will not be stereotyped by this. If anything, he'll be celebrated for it."

Filming is set to begin on May 5th in Chicago.

-Perez Hilton-

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Holy fuck, are you kidding?

The punk kid from Bad News Bears is the new Freddy?

WOW

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Yeah, I'm surprised this thread isn't mobbed. At least you and I are aware of the new Freddy.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

They honestly could have done much worse.  I have no idea how he's going to turn out, but the movie most likely won't be great anyway.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, they're screwed either way. I'll go into it with an open mind, and see what happens, but Englund is iconic as Freddy Krueger.

I've had a feeling this is going to be 'Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates' all over again, whether it was Haley or anyone else. Some roles are just timelessly tied to the actors who originally played them.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I actually really like Jackie.

They need to run with Freddy being a pedophile, not some lame "Child Killer." And Jackie Earle looks the part. Fucking creepy.

After one and two Freddy became a joke. I say make him completely evil.

If you're going to make a re-make like NOES, turn the origional on its head.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I actually agree. I was never a massive NOES fan, and let's be honest, Robert Englund is GOD when it comes to doing the Freddy schtick.

Let Jackie completely reinvent the character into a totally different beast.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The pedophile angle makes sense because thats actually what he was. They just never fully explored it in the original film, obviously worried about turning off horror hounds. That film is very dark anyways, and they should have just delved in a bit deeper. Obviously not a full blown prequel as that wouldn't have worked at the time, but taking an extra 10 or 15 minutes to flesh out the Freddy character would have done wonders.

There's no way they're gonna do that with a remake. Its gonna be all safe and cozy to drag the dipshits into theaters. They're going to have dollar signs on their minds, not hard core fans or truly advancing the story.

I am willing to give it a chance either way, but when previews surface and I see even a nanosecond of stand up comedian Freddy, I am not watching the film.

Board footer