You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

johndivney wrote:

I'm more open to the indie titles. They're the main reason why I've taken to playing games so much these days/this PlayStation gen. I've played more games this year than maybe any year before. So much more variety I missed with the PS3 generation.

After the witcher 3 my favourite game last year was Axiom Verge, a metroid throwback made by 1 guy over 5 years. I loved Her Story just as much, even tho it's not a ps4 game.
My favourite game over the past few months was Velocity 2x, an old school shoot em up from 2014. Soma wasn't far behind & another GOTY contender - something I enjoyed far more than the comparable Alien: Isolation. I played it a few weeks ago & loved it. Another one I loved from earlier in the year was Apotheon. & Rocket League came from nowhere. Both on ps+.. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.
But yea I cant speak highly enough of Axiom Verge & Her Story.

I haven't really been blown away by any other AAA this past year other than the witcher 3, Driveclub & mass effect 2. Drake was p good too, but 2 of that bunch are last gen. A few more were ok & a few really dragged/disappointed.

That's not to say there weren't a few clunkers in the indie games I played. Everybody's gone to the rapture was particularly brutal. There was another one around that time as well stunk but rapture was really bad. But seriously for every crap one there's a handful of magic ones like Thomas was alone or super meat boy.

What'd you rather play, rocket league or Star Wars battlefront?

Looking forward to no mans sky & rime as much as I am drake 4/last guardian.

Tho that's not to say the witness won't be shit. It didn't look great from the 15mins I got to play it tho..
It was revealed & meant to be a launch window game & I think the reviewers are covering themselves having maybe missed out of the developers previous game becoming a cult hit, which would maybe explain the hype.

Still going to be playing gtao later.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

For me I struggle to get time to play what I do have

I've also been let down by indy games that have gotten good reviews

I did play Flower tho ... was actually alright ... lol

And Fez is kinda fun...but neither would be my first choice if I turn on my ps4

Outlast is crap as is mercenary kings...strider sucked as did resogun, don't starve, vanishing of ethan carter and some crappy tank game I tried

Maybe I'm just playing the wrong ones lol

johndivney wrote:

Oh yea vanishing of Ethan Carter that was the other crap one I couldn't remember.

Loved fez.

Yea couldn't get into strider or resogun either.

I only really started playing again after gtav/o & as a means to escape my bad habits.
& it worked for a while but now unfortunately my bad habits are beginning to follow me into my gaming.. Been ripping the piss a bit this past week got my head up my ass.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

We're currently knee-deep in another installment in the Borderlands series (The Pre-Sequel). I'm not typically into the whole RPG-shooter genre, but I play couch co-op (split screen) with my girlfriend, and it's a blast to go through the story together. We've done the same thing in the past with the Resistance series, and two of the Army of Two games. We also played The Last of Us and the Drake's Fortune games together, but that's time-sharing the controller of course. If it weren't for the co-op stuff, I wouldn't get much opportunity to play.

I'm really on the fence about the PS4 though. I'm looking forward to buying a VR headset, and the PS4 with Playstation VR is definitely a candidate, but I think the best VR games are going to be on the PC due to the more powerful hardware and dual rendering requirements. For the first time since 2003 I'm really tempted to buy a gaming PC... 18

johndivney wrote:

EA doing a sale on EU psn. Going to grab all the dragon age dlc's for £5-6.
& prob never play them.

Just started Borderlands the pre-sequel. Seems hard enough auld grind.

PC would be the way to go if it wasn't so demanding. Oculus will be a better kit than PSVR. It depends on how good the games will be. At the min I'm still on the fence. Excited but not overly expectant - simply because I'd have to adapt my playing styles, which wouldn't be a major problem, just you're not going to be able to sit for hours on end w/a headset strapped round your eyes.

Played This War of Mine again on PS4. Mighty expensive & bug addled but I loved it.

The Witness? Part of me loves it - it has entertained me & made me laugh on a couple of occasions - but part of me thinks, all this just for a puzzle game? I get it & like it, tho begrudge the money spent on it, but it just has something about it that stops me from really falling in love with it. It's kinda like its talking down to me, condescending.
I've prob preferred it to the recent Talos Principle but both were flawed & great puzzlers.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Bought myself a ps4 the other day.

Only got Fallout 4 at the moment but loving it so far!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Anybody know much about these SSD hard drives? I'm getting one for the added speed, but not sure if I should just go with one to run my OS, or buy big and use it for my main drive as well.

AtariLegend wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Bought myself a ps4 the other day.

Only got Fallout 4 at the moment but loving it so far!

Pro-tip avoid Preston Garvey. He'll spam quests at you (time based *radiant AKA Random/repeatable quests* over and over again). Theirs unfortunately a few bugs in the PS4 version that still need to be fixed.

I've finished it on all 4 endings a few days ago tongue.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Remember getting this on my 11th birthday, Sega  Master System 2... I was so happy smile

hqdefault.jpg

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Remember Sega CD? That was ahead of its time. Same with 3DO.

I'm holding out buying the Xbox One until Quantum Break is released.

Board footer