You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

Neemo wrote:

yeah the wii can connect wireless so i was thinking about getting myself one.

the cable company tells me to get a lynksys and so did best buy so i dunno

dlink is cheaper but people say they suck hmm

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

GTA IV has been dated for April 29th. 

heres an interesting article from MTV of all places about it.

---------------------

'Grand Theft Auto IV' Developer Announces Release Date, Says Whether There Will Be Another 'Hot Coffee'

NEW YORK '” "Grand Theft Auto IV" will be the biggest entertainment experience of the year and make its players feel like immigrants newly arrived in America, according to a developer working on the game.

After showcasing a nearly complete version of "Grand Theft Auto IV" on the Xbox 360 to MTV News for an hour and a half earlier this week, Rockstar Games Vice President of Product Development Jeronimo Barrera talked about how delays have shaped "GTA IV," how the game handles sex and violence this time around, and more.

"I don't see anything being bigger in 2008 in any entertainment," Barrera said as he sat on a black couch in Rockstar's demo room, proudly sporting a white T-shirt with a large "IV" printed on the front. "We think it's that big, and we just have to get the word out."

What Barrera and the development team that handles the game in New York and in Scotland-based Rockstar North are promising is the king of open-world games. Rockstar Games popularized the go-anywhere, do-anything open-world genre with "Grand Theft Auto III" in 2001. This new game is intended to be the next leap. "We don't want anybody else to raise the bar for a genre that we created and that everybody else ripped off," Barrera said. "So we definitely want to shock not just the players, but the industry. I'm not talking about shock value. I'm talking about just how big it is and just how many crazy, bananas things you can do in the game."

"GTA IV" was initially going to make its splash in 2007, when it was scheduled for an October release. Thursday (January 24) morning, Rockstar announced a new release date of April 29. And the delay, Barrera said, makes the game stronger. "We wanted the time, and I think we made the right choice. It was very difficult to make the choice because everybody wanted it. But we thought, you know, what with that extra bit of time, it's just going to be that much better and there will be more systems out."

"GTA" games haven't missed their announced release dates before. When the delay was announced in August, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick told investors that "the reason it is being delayed is almost strictly technological problems '” not problems, but challenges." Barrera offered a little more detail to MTV News this week: "It's really no surprise to anybody that the PS3 was definitely a contributing factor to that. Now, we're neck and neck. That's not an issue anymore. But back then that was something we were taking into account. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the PS3 version. It's awesome. They're both identical."

(PlayStation 3 owners may feel that Barrera's comments get them out of the woods, but some Xbox 360 owners have had a tech concern of their own. In a follow-up to MTV News' interview with Barrera, a Rockstar rep alleviated the concern, stating that the Xbox 360 version of the game, as occasionally had been rumored, will not require a hard drive.)

The portions of the game that Barrera and a controller-wielding Rockstar spokesperson demonstrated for MTV News earlier this week looked and appeared to play like earlier "GTA" games but with significantly refined controls and graphics. Nevertheless, Barrera said that much hasn't been shown and that the creators' goal is to hit players with "surprise after surprise."

This is a different kind of "GTA," he said. "This is the story of an immigrant, and we feel that this world is so real and has so many details that you are the immigrant. The player is the immigrant. So you're kind of coasting along with [protagonist] Niko [Belic] in sort of a way that hasn't been done before in our games. The pacing is different. We're not giving any of that away yet, but it definitely sets up the story and the mood ... in terms of the choreography and the flow of this game, I think there's something really special there that we haven't quite done with other games that I think are going to surprise a lot of people."

But for gamers who only want to cause havoc, the game will offer that and the standard amount of weapon-unlock cheat codes.

What about sex? For better or worse, the biggest surprise to many people about the most recent console installment in the series, "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," was the unfinished interactive sex scenes left deep within the code of the game discs and accessible to hackers. That's not coming back for the new game. "Are we going to have a 'Hot Coffee' situation?" Barrera asked aloud. "Absolutely not." But the game will have romance. Unlike Rockstar's recent schoolyard game, "Bully," the main male character won't be able to get involved with other guys, but straight relationships will continue. "Yeah, you can go on dates," Barrera said. "Obviously it's a mature title and there's human relations. That's a natural thing."

Violence in the game may feel a little different this time. "The way that we're telling it takes a different tone," Barrera said. "Niko's background is that he comes from a war-torn country. And he's brought over with the American dream. But it ends up being almost as violent as a war-torn country. There's a bit of message going on in there." The game will be as violent or nonviolent as the player wishes to make it, he said, though there was no indication in the demo that the game could be played without killing anyone. What Barrera did indicate, though, is that the game's developers have heard the players who complained that recent "GTA" games didn't allow the same freedom to problem-solve in different ways that the earlier installments in the series did. "The missions you saw today were pretty straightforward action missions, but there are some missions that have half-a-dozen ways to beat it."

Barrera wouldn't talk about the game's multiplayer modes, its music or the planned downloadable bonus content for the Xbox 360 version. Much of the game just isn't being shown. He did shoot down the prospect of a free trial version of the game: "We usually don't do demo." And while not offering an estimated length to the game, he said, "I find this game '” because of the detail and trying to explore every single bit '” that this is a much richer experience than anything we've done in the past." He said the new game has been designed with at least one eye on the message boards and other fan reaction. Rockstar is aiming to please and to keep its fans busy. "People are going to play this game for a long, long time," Barrera said.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/158016 … ndex.jhtml

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This game is going to be amazing. I don't play games much anymore, but I'll definitely be playing this. Doubt I'll buy it, but will probably rent it and see if I can pass it.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Yeah it really sounds like it will blow people away much like GTA 3 did back  in what 2001. It will be the best game of the next gen systems to date. I'll be buying it and maybe a ps3.

AtariLegend wrote:
Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

I might be able to get a new system this weekend. I'm having a hard time deciding weather to get Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. Grand Theft Auto IV and Resident Evil 5 will be released for both consoles and those are two game franchises I follow. I've heard that Xbox 360 has a better selection of games than PS3 and is a more affordable console while PS3 has better graphics and processing power. Can anybody help me on this?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Definitely get a 360. It has a ton of games. It;ll take you a year just to catch up on all the good games already released.

When GTA is released, the 360 is going to get exclusive bonus levels.

Mike

Mike wrote:

James, did you ever play Condemned? When I was looking at xbox 360 games, that one caught my attention, they're coming out with a sequel pretty soon.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Mike wrote:

I've heard that Xbox 360 has a better selection of games than PS3 and is a more affordable console while PS3 has better graphics and processing power.

That is it in a nutshell.  If you are looking for the best deal NOW, I would have to say it's the Xbox 360.  Great graphics and excellent library.  It's a solid system and not from Japan 16.  BUT to be fair the PS3 is more powerful and has better graphics (for the most part, but the first generation game graphics of the PS3 were about even with the XBOX 360 as many games were ports from the Xbox) and most importantly by far has much more potential.  My friend has the Xbox 360 and I have the PS3 and after seeing both played for a few months now I must say the Xbox 360 has been a huge surprise and it is a very solid machine.  In short if you want the best bet for now go with the Xbox 360, if you want (and this is totally opinionated by all means, albeit based in experience and not just bias due to owning the PS3) the system that will be the leader come a couple years down the road with the best games and the better format (Blu-Ray) then go PS3.  Bottom line is you can't possibly go wrong with either machine.

Mike

Mike wrote:

If I were to get the PS3, which GB do I get? I heard there's one where you can't play your old PS (1&2) games.

Board footer