You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Rough Mixes Disc 1

James wrote:

He said a lot of things that weren't true....

like Matt Sorum being the greatest drummer in the world..... backtracked a tad on that.

I'm not shitting on the Finckster. Disc 1 is great as is and Finck-Tobias delivered the goods.

The Rhodes comparison, regardless of who said it, is going a bit overboard.

James

James wrote:

To pause the Dylan-Atlas-Randy Rhodes discussion for a second...

And that was Axl’s power play. Didn’t have the stones or the vision to go the Napster route.

This was mentioned in one of the million leak threads....his Trump card against the label being a Napster leak.

It would've forced their hand.

I really don't know what he was thinking in that 2000-01 period.

Do we simply chalk it up to shitty management?

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

Bucket was Axl’s Steve Vai.

Definitely seems like CD II was ITW, Shackler’s, Sorry.

No sign of Better and Scraped so far. Which suggests 2004 sessions of interest. But there’s enough to back up the idea of two cds and an electronica one with full guitars. I also feel like there’s 5 or 6 new Estranged instrumentals.

wasted

wasted wrote:
James wrote:

To pause the Dylan-Atlas-Randy Rhodes discussion for a second...

And that was Axl’s power play. Didn’t have the stones or the vision to go the Napster route.

This was mentioned in one of the million leak threads....his Trump card against the label being a Napster leak.

It would've forced their hand.

I really don't know what he was thinking in that 2000-01 period.

Do we simply chalk it up to shitty management?

I think Tommy said that people who came in wanted to get a slice of the money. So Bob Ezrin came in and said no it’s not ready. General lack of support from rec comp for 3-4 albums. Even Merck could not set something like that up. There wasn’t that think like put out 1 album then we’ll put more out. No statement of support from Iovine like that. I mean it makes sense to play both sides. What if Slash came back, Axl has said he offered Slash that before RIR. So managers were always more interested in a reunion long term I guess. It wasn’t as simple as great music equals a series of successful albums. They seem to have done everything from Alt rock to electronica to Pink Floyd but all anyone really wanted was Slash. Now you look back and Bucket is sounding pretty sexy.

James

James wrote:

I think you forgot to download a disc, Wasted.

The instrumental titled Three Dollar Pyramid is Better.

I'm in full agreement about 2004...

3cw1w6.jpg

James

James wrote:
wasted2019-2028 wrote:

I think Tommy said that people who came in wanted to get a slice of the money. So Bob Ezrin came in and said no it’s not ready. General lack of support from rec comp for 3-4 albums. Even Merck could not set something like that up. There wasn’t that think like put out 1 album then we’ll put more out. No statement of support from Iovine like that. I mean it makes sense to play both sides. What if Slash came back, Axl has said he offered Slash that before RIR. So managers were always more interested in a reunion long term I guess. It wasn’t as simple as great music equals a series of successful albums. They seem to have done everything from Alt rock to electronica to Pink Floyd but all anyone really wanted was Slash. Now you look back and Bucket is sounding pretty sexy.

They needed a step back and a breather....which that four year hiatus should've provided.

I know...label politics killed the album...but when we entered 2004 and even great grandma's are dancing to Slither, it was a sign Slash wasn't coming back right now and the label should've set Chinese free.

If one or both sides were unable to think of CD as one album, what a collosal misjudgment. Just because you have 2-3 albums of material doesn't mean you wait and tie it all up and throw it in neutral.

Superunknown was originally supposed to be two albums. We got one album and a fuck ton of B sides instead.

Load was supposed to be two albums.

We got Load and Reload instead.

They lost the plot.

wasted

wasted wrote:
James wrote:

I think you forgot to download a disc, Wasted.

The instrumental titled Three Dollar Pyramid is Better.

I'm in full agreement about 2004...

https://i.imgflip.com/3cw1w6.jpg

Is it on the ITW Disc? My download folder is a disaster with about 8 track 1s all replacing each other.

James

James wrote:

I'm uploading both takes right now....

Gimme a sec.

It was on the disc with Prom Violence.

wasted

wasted wrote:
James wrote:
wasted2019-2028 wrote:

They needed a step back and a breather....which that four year hiatus should've provided.

I know...label politics killed the album...but when we entered 2004 and even great grandma's are dancing to Slither, it was a sign Slash wasn't coming back right now and the label should've set Chinese free.

If one or both sides were unable to think of CD as one album, what a collosal misjudgment. Just because you have 2-3 albums of material doesn't mean you wait and tie it all up and throw it in neutral.

Superunknown was originally supposed to be two albums. We got one album and a fuck ton of B sides instead.

Load was supposed to be two albums.

We got Load and Reload instead.

They lost the plot.

There is that point in 2004 that the recomp gave Axl the green light right? It was an ultimatum but Axl declined. And they put up GH. Bucket quit. So it’s that catastrophe is the context. But Axl did dodge that VR head to head. Understandable given the media climate. It’s sort like what was trying to do was so hard to do. Be GNR and take on the hostility but also does this multi faceted progressive rock album.

It really was like Coppola making Apocalypse Now but in the end the industry was redefined by technology (CGI) and hair metal (Star Wars) and much less artistic bands. Now they just do remakes and reunion nostalgia tours. Luckily Axl is Dennis Hopper and Indiana Jones. Easy Rider and The Cristal Skull.

wasted

wasted wrote:

What is strange is that Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps are the best sounding tracks on Disc 1 but they were left on the shelf. If they put out a double cd set one of these on each is going to help.

Board footer