You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Rough Mixes Disc 1

bigbri wrote:

These songs are great and I love them. But they needed those Bucket solos. There’s not one memorable solo in this bunch. Hell Silkworms and Prostitute don’t even have solos and the title track has a 5-second burst of screech. The best solos aren’t even from a member of the band.

GNR songs are known for their long, kickass solos. There are none here.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Anybody noticed the different lyrics to Atlas?
Instead of "I'll be the last to say don't follow your heart" it's "Don't think I've ever said don't follow your heart"

otto

otto wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Take out Silkworms because it doesn’t remotely fit in with the other songs. Replace it with IRS and there is your 2000 album of 10 songs. I am with Jimmythegent. A bucket solo on Twat and Irs would be the icing on the cake.

This. 1000 times this.

benny
 Rep: 0 

benny wrote:
otto wrote:

Instead of "I'll be the last to say don't follow your heart" it's "Don't think I've ever said don't follow your heart"

I didn't notice that but thanks for pointing it out.  Atlas is by far my favorite track out of which songs with lyrics have surfaced in the last two months.  Atlas was ultimately cut from CD due to the runtime of the album being too long, but I wonder whom the driving force was to keep some of the other tracks on the album and to drop Atlas from it.  Axl, management or the label?

AtariLegend wrote:

I reckon the only reason Atlas wasn't on it, was because it didn't leak like the other tracks.

otto

otto wrote:
benny wrote:
otto wrote:

I didn't notice that but thanks for pointing it out.  Atlas is by far my favorite track out of which songs with lyrics have surfaced in the last two months.  Atlas was ultimately cut from CD due to the runtime of the album being too long, but I wonder whom the driving force was to keep some of the other tracks on the album and to drop Atlas from it.  Axl, management or the label?

Axl was the producer and ultimately it falls on him.
I think he chose other songs to add more diversity of styles.
Atlas resembles Catcher, and has mid tempo and pacing similar to Street of Dreams, TWAT and Prostitute. I think it's the same reason Perhaps wasn't A-Listed.
Songs like Scraped, Riad and Shackler's tried to fill the rockers gap (but failed miserably).

Also, there's the anecdote of This I Love NOT being on the tracklist up to the last minute, due to Robin and Tommy's influence. Maybe Atlas was in there and was replaced by TIL.

otto

otto wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I reckon the only reason Atlas wasn't on it, was because it didn't leak like the other tracks.

This I Love, Scraped and Sorry also didn't leak but were on the record.
I'd say Atlas is stronger than Scraped and Sorry.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If Ron was being truthful, Atlas didn't fit on the CD and would have caused it to be a double album. I think Catcher was put on the album at the last minute? Not sure if I remember it right.

benny
 Rep: 0 

benny wrote:

I think Atlas is stronger than:  Rhiad, Scraped and Shacklers.  But like you said, it does have a similar vibe to a lot of other tracks and to add some variety to the record that would make sense why it was scrapped (not to be confused with scraped) from the final track list.

AtariLegend wrote:
otto wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

This I Love, Scraped and Sorry also didn't leak but were on the record.
I'd say Atlas is stronger than Scraped and Sorry.

Well needed more than 10 tracks and of those 10 were on there.

Made sense that the numbers had to be made up. Only This I Love and Sorry I'd say were stronger tracks they used that weren't leaked. Shacker's and Scraped were hardly amongst the best they had.

Board footer