You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

Re: The Context of How Old Some of these Tracks Are

sp1at wrote:

I think the beginning of a change for GN'R started in 1992. Check this interview;

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi … iew-99204/

The key bit is at the end;

------------

How do you think all of this will affect your songwriting?
I really think that the next official Guns n’ Roses record, or the next thing I do, at least, will take some dramatic turns that people didn’t expect and show the growth. I don’t want to be the twenty-three-year-old misfit that I was. I don’t want to be that person.

-------------

Here we see Axl taking GN'R on his own journey if you read the wording. (The 'GN'R or I' bit)

I think GN'R became Axl's vehicle for self healing. I think the anger of 90s music took over

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm with Sp1at.

I think it'd have sold at least decently by default

It'll sell....at least right out the gates. What propels the big numbers is a series of high charting singles keeping it in the public eye.

It doesn't really have that although luck, timing, etc could cause one song to take off.

IMO it sells between 1-3 million in 99-00....with a big single maybe 5.

Edit

Platinum in the states and the rest elsewhere.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

The first Brian May Atlas Shrugged/Perhaps/Catcher in the Rye should probably turn 20 years old in just over a month (November-ish maybe).

Hi, first post in God knows how long.
I was thinking about that too, how it's going to be 20 years and how time flies... I am very glad to finally be able to hear new Gn'R music, though it is not actually new. This version of Catcher with May has always been my favourite.
I can't remember much of 1999 - 2000, was it when Limp Bizkit were, like, the band everyone was talking about?

James

James wrote:

20 discs of Robin ....

Was wondering when you would knock on the door. 5

AtariLegend wrote:
James wrote:

I'm with Sp1at.

I think it'd have sold at least decently by default

It'll sell....at least right out the gates. What propels the big numbers is a series of high charting singles keeping it in the public eye.

It doesn't really have that although luck, timing, etc could cause one song to take off.

IMO it sells between 1-3 million in 99-00....with a big single maybe 5.

Edit

Platinum in the states and the rest elsewhere.

James, it probably sells close to a million in the first week and hits that 3 mill mark pretty fast. Just based on intrigue. Albums sold alot then, even for mid tier artists. The world was very different. Again, it might not be selling 15 million copies... but it sells more in 1 month then, than CD has sold since 08.

Yamcha wrote:

Limp Bizkit were, like, the band everyone was talking about?

Unfortunately yes.

Welcome back btw!

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

The Black Parade did well for MCR in 2006. It was a good era for pomp and ceremony. Axl had tracks there for any release from 2000-2006.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:
James wrote:

20 discs of Robin ....

Lol. The door was never closed, was it? big_smile

Robin did a very good job. Never thought I would read a post that says 'Robin is God' here... though it's not coming from you, James. 14

James

James wrote:

Atari I'm aware the world was different but there are what Donald Rumsfeld would refer to as "known unknowns and unknown unknowns".

- changing musical landscape
- no Slash & Duff + virtually faceless lineup
- the lukewarm reaction to OMG

- lack of breakthrough singles
- level of promotion and who does it
- Touring? On what scale?

While I certainly believe the album deserved to be released somewhere in that 99-01 period, I can see why those involved might have been as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Yamcha wrote:

Limp Bizkit were, like, the band everyone was talking about?

Unfortunately yes.

Welcome back btw!

I can't remember any of their songs. I only remember the name because it's such a silly name.

My impressions about the late 90s/00s are that is was a happy period. Music was light, there were lots of solo artists, pop music, dance music... But I do remember there was quite an interest in Axl's solo project as it was seen back then, there was some anticipation, there were updates in rock magazines and there was still a fan base, of course, so Chinese Democracy would have sold. People would have bought the record out of curiosity. .

James

James wrote:
Yamcha wrote:
James wrote:

20 discs of Robin ....

Lol. The door was never closed, was it? big_smile

Robin did a very good job. Never thought I would read a post that says 'Robin is God' here... though it's not coming from you, James. 14

He's been getting heaps of praise lately and rightfully so. These rough demos indicate that they really had something special cooking, and that's excluding CD tracks already released.

The instrumentals are out of this world.

Board footer