You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Re: Producers

Izzyjim wrote:

I’ve always thought it could be interesting to have them in the studio with Rick Rubin.

oneway23
 Rep: 0 

oneway23 wrote:
Izzyjim wrote:

I’ve always thought it could be interesting to have them in the studio with Rick Rubin.

Definitely not Rubin.  They don't need someone coming in once every two months, laying on the couch, and telling them to "write more."
Plus, his preferred "engineer," Greg Fidelman (the one who actually ends up doing all of the work), would make the record an ear-bleeding mess.

Brendan O'Brien would make them sound too polished, plus he'd want to play guitar or keyboards on every track, while "helping" them arrange the songs for maximum radio impact.  Maybe you bring him or Andy Wallace in at the end as a "closer", of sorts, to re-mix a couple of the songs the label & band view as singles to prep them for radio.

I would maybe take a look at Nick Raskulinecz.  He's done work for Rush, Foo Fighters, Alice in Chains, Stone Sour, Korn, Evanescence, among others.  Yes, his albums have had the tendency to be dynamically compressed, his mixes can be muddy, and cymbals can sound bad.  I'd truthfully ideally hire him as the Recording Engineer, and not the Producer, because he's ultimately really good at getting the essence of what makes that particular band special, and he tries to get a band to focus on what they naturally sound like playing in a room.  I think it'd be just what they need after the overproduction of the CD-era, BUT, I don't think he'd take the professional step down at this point in his career.  For a project of this size?  Maybe...

So, yeah, I'd look at him for the producer, provided there was something in his contract that explicitly prohibited him from baking too much peak limiting and dynamic compression into the initial mixes.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

I would go with Clink, stick to what works

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Clink's resume obviously spotty but the proof is in the pudding.

Basically....

Break glass only in the event of impending GNR album.

Oneway.....now there's a name I haven't seen in a coon's age.  5

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Kevin Shirley?

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

axlgod wrote:

I’d go with Butch Walker.
Killer producer, Killer guitarist, Killer songwriter.

AtariLegend wrote:

Sean Beavan is pretty good imo. Just saying.

That said, even if they recorded an album... who to say it'd ever get released?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

That said, even if they recorded an album... who to say it'd ever get released?

If the 2016-present lineup banged out an album, no way in hell do we get a repeat of the Chinese saga.

I don't see how the conditions to cause such a nightmare could ever materialize.

The pressure is off Axl

Slash and Duff can carry the load

The label has an actual incentive to get an album in stores.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

to the OP, I actually kind of like the idea of Mark Ronson. He produced the last QOTSA album too

oneway23
 Rep: 0 

oneway23 wrote:
James wrote:

Clink's resume obviously spotty but the proof is in the pudding.

Basically....

Break glass only in the event of impending GNR album.

Oneway.....now there's a name I haven't seen in a coon's age.  5

What's up, brother?:buckethead:

Board footer