You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: New Kids on the Block to Reunite?

PaSnow wrote:

^^ Yeah, it's like when The Monkees would tour when we were young. But The Monkees had a TV show which was running reruns afterschool, and they were an actual band, so I would think a few older girls were a little interested. NKOTB is just 5 guys jumping around and singing & dancing. This doesn't bode well for either the younger or older generation. Young kids didn't want to see the Monkees because they're parents were into them, they wanted to go because of the TV show they'd see after school.  Again, I'm predicting colassal failure. I can't think of any girls in their 30's I'd know who'd think about going to this. Bon Jovi, yes. NKOTB,absolutely not.

Yeah The Monkeys are in a totally different catagory.  I used to watch the Monkeys all the time I loved that show 22  DayDream Believer big_smile   The Monkeys music could totally be supported by older fans because the music is timeless, I know if I heard Daydream Believer now or I'm A Believer, I'd be into it now just as I was when I was watching the reruns.

This is going to go down.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Unfortunately for all their Australian fans

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=8548

New Kids On The Block Tour Cancelled
by Paul Cashmere - June 17 2009

The New Kids on the Block Australian tour has been cancelled.

A statement by promoter Andrew McManus reads, “Due to circumstances beyond their control, the New Kids On The Block have been forced to cancel their upcoming Australian tour dates. The group is incredibly disappointed and very sorry they won’t be able to perform in Australia at this time. The guys are very grateful for all the love and support from their Australian fans.”

The tour was due to kick off in Perth on August 1.

Refunds available from point of purchase or your Ticketek outlet.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Australia always gets screwed.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Just like the Spice Girls, the tour couldn't get off the ground overseas. Spice Girls killed in the UK and US where they were selling out every venue due to scalpers, but in these other global markets it was canceled before one show. I'm sure Australia and other regions also have scalpers, but not on the same level as here.

On that first leg of the Spice tour, all the venues were sold out even though most were empty. It was bizarre and the perfect moment for that industry to see a crackdown, but it never happened.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I couldn't believe people actually went to see the Spice Girls on their last tour but I remember when they played in CT they covered it on the news and people were genuinely excited.  It was a hot ticket.  I just don't get it.  Don't get me wrong.  I thought the Spice Girls were hot back in the day and most, if not all of them have held up over time, but I have no interest in seeing them in concert and I can't imagine they had such a strong fanbase to support them 10 years later.  I guess I was wrong though.  Americans are suckers for reunions of any kind I guess.  Makes them feel young again maybe?

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

isn't that why people  pay upwards of 100 bucks to see the police and bruce springsteen etc.?
takes em back to when they were kids.....
plenty of people my age go to see bands like candlebox(bad example) on a nostalgia trip ... only to realize that they are only a hollow shell of what they once were...

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Australia always gets screwed.

In this case I don't believe so.  Poor ticket sales were the reason for the cancellation from what I read in an article:

New Kids on the Block announced on their website yesterday they were cancelling their Australian tour, blaming the “recession's stranglehold on the world's economies”.

and not being a NKOTB fan I have to say that is a complete blessing that they won't be coming.

Board footer