You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Tracks on the album better than the Rough Mixes

mitchejw wrote:

How would you all feel if we just called the album Use Your Illusions III instead of Chinese Democracy?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I still think every demo of madagascar I heard was better than the album version. I still like the song...but it was better live and in the demos to me.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I kinda disagree with this. I think what makes Axl a great songwriter is how personal he is, and we know his hatred of Slash was a major obsession of his for almost two decades.  I would rather he write about what he's feeling than try to write something more substantive if he's not into it. Sorry might come off as petty but he's pouring his emotions out there.

Here's my main issue with his lyrics always revolving around Slash, other members, Steph, and fans.....

What else does he have to say? Look at how the world had changed since 1991. He didn't have anything to say artistically about the changing times?

Any relationships after Steph? He never had children...does he have anything to say about this? In the early 90s he talked about being abused in his youth.

None of these things were ever conveyed in his work...and it's a shame.

It seemed like the lyrics of Civil War were coming from someone who has a lot to say.... instead it is an anomaly.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I kinda disagree with this. I think what makes Axl a great songwriter is how personal he is, and we know his hatred of Slash was a major obsession of his for almost two decades.  I would rather he write about what he's feeling than try to write something more substantive if he's not into it. Sorry might come off as petty but he's pouring his emotions out there.

Here's my main issue with his lyrics always revolving around Slash, other members, Steph, and fans.....

What else does he have to say? Look at how the world had changed since 1991. He didn't have anything to say artistically about the changing times?

Any relationships after Steph? He never had children...does he have anything to say about this? In the early 90s he talked about being abused in his youth.

It seemed like the lyrics of Civil War were coming from someone who has a lot to say.... instead it is an anomaly.

he has a couple songs like that but not many
Cather in the rye is one example.  but you are right Axl is pretty much one or two noted for the CD era stuff.  Its all about him being fucked over either by his ex or slash and the old band or mangers.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

he has a couple songs like that but not many
Cather in the rye is one example.  but you are right Axl is pretty much one or two noted for the CD era stuff.  Its all about him being fucked over either by his ex or slash and the old band or mangers.

Well, he was very clear that Sorry isn't about Slash. Let's take a look at the tracks on CD:

Chinese Democracy – about, well Chinese Democracy. Inspired by Kundun, references the Falun Gong, etc.
Shackler's Revenge - about the Virginia Tech shooting and the fact that the killer apparently listened to a GN'R track (Mr Brownstone?).
Better - About a relationship/ex
Street of Dreams - About a relationship/ex
If the World - About a relationship
TWAT - Definitely about a relationship/ex.
Catcher in the Rye - about the murder of John Lennon, IIRC.
Scraped - general statement of defiance against the haters. Probably about Axl's struggle to keep the GN'R name alive.
Riad N' The Bedouins - About Erin Everly's brother-in-law and self-proclaimed international arms dealer.
Sorry - Emphatically not about Slash, the "you know where to put your/just shut up and sing" is pretty clearly referencing a former manager or similar. Basically Axl's "Death On Two Legs."
I.R.S. - About a relationship/ex
Madagascar - General statement of defiance ("I won't be told anymore/That I've been brought down in this storm")
This I Love - Relationship/ex
Prostitute - mix of relationship/ex and general statement of defiance ("Why would they tell me to please those/That laugh in my face")

So, that's 6-7 tracks about relationships/love, 3 "fuck the haters" ones, and a couple of random ones about oddments like international arms dealers and Chinese government repression. Given how heavily weighted music is towards songs about relationships, that's not a bad spread. I think the "Axl just sings about his exes" narrative is a bit overstated tbh, especially when those tracks also incorporate a lot of other interesting emotional textures.

Sky Dog wrote:

Nice summary 11!

James

James wrote:

Yeah that's a good post but I don't believe Sorry isn't about Slash. It's pretty obvious. If he didn't want people jumping to that conclusion or not buying his denial, maybe he shouldn't have spent years pissing and moaning about him. Hell...even Beta was obsessed with him to the point she would spend hours talking about him on the phone with MSL.

It's about Slash. It also sounds like it's aimed at fans too.

While the title track/album title may have been inspired by Kundun, lyrically it sounds like it's about fans, the forums, and the album itself.

----

It don't really matter
Gonna find out for yourself
No it don't really matter
Gonna leave this thing to
Somebody else

----

Sounds like he's referring to the album itself and his growing disinterest.

-----
If they were missionaries
Real time visionaries
Sittin' in a Chinese stew
To view my disinfatuation

----

A very creative way to describe hardcore fans on the forums at the time.

I used to think people were crazy for thinking The Blues was about Slash. I always thought it was aimed at a woman. I've come around.

It's about Slash.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

No critcisms for This I Love being cheesyball central?  That one is super embarrassing.

James

James wrote:

When I first heard TIL, I was shocked. Not what I was expecting. It was a b grade Barry Manilow ballad with a horrible Finck solo pasted in.

I warmed up to it a bit years later but it's a song I never listen to.

I would like to hear the original version someday. I don't believe that the master tape was destroyed.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I warmed up to it a bit years later but it's a song I never listen to.

I would like to hear the original version someday. I don't believe that the master tape was destroyed.

I think I tried listening to it a while ago and couldn't make it through the entire song.  I would like to hear the original and whatever demos of that song too; only because it's origins were from the Illusion era.

Board footer