You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Current Events Thread

bigbri wrote:

This is his thing. Bridging the divide. Could go a long way to starting some healing.

I’m probably what some would call a dreaded moderate. The Bernie crowd wouldn’t like me on most issues. I like this move.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Kasich should've been our president in 2016... maybe earlier.

Definitely a good sign to include him. Would've been even better to pick him as VP but the country is too partisan for such an unconventional move.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Anyone see that teacher in france that got decapitated?

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I elected science deniers?  I've never voted for Trump (though I plan to in 3 weeks).  Who is voting for the people who think men can become women, that men can have periods and that a woman can have a penis and testicles?

It's funny how nobody ANYWHERE wants to answer this.

I mean... they can. There's decades of writing and academic study on gender, how it isn't binary and isn't fixed after being assigned at conception birth - even hundreds of years ago there are examples of gender fluid ideas in Native American tribes. If you are referring to biological sex of a person then fine sure, that's just describing someone's physiology though.

Flagg, you say that trans peoples "deserve to be loved and find happiness" and that they should be treated with "dignity and respect"... but also write

It's been 3 weeks since SGT Barnes got her medication to keep her fabricated vagina from closing shut.

Hardly a respectful tone that treats trans people with any dignity. Frankly, at best I doubt you actually give a shit about them at all and at worst I actually see a bit of hatred in the way that you write about them.

Anyway in political news... any of you see the polling about Texas these past few days?! I expect Trump still takes it but why the fuck is that state polling so tightly. Surely a bad sign for the Trump campaign generally.... right? Also... why is Arizona in play?!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Texas is a massive surprise. I agree trump all but takes it, but in 2016 & prior it was never a thought. Then in 2018, not saying he was a great candidate, but I think Beto Orourke had that surprise Senate run. Kinda shook the state up a little bit. Now this. It has to be concerning to Republicans as a whole for long term strategy. Going from a never lose to light red.

Arizona sorta makes sense to me, McCain had to be an icon there, Californians moving there. Immigration probably goes both ways but people there probably are closer to the rhetoric trump arose out of it. It's usually been a swing state I think, I'm surprise its in play for trump.

What shocks me is the southern states of NC, SC & GA.  I think trump loses minimum of one of them.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I wanna see this 60 minutes interview. It's gotta be a classic.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Texas is a massive surprise. I agree trump all but takes it, but in 2016 & prior it was never a thought. Then in 2018, not saying he was a great candidate, but I think Beto Orourke had that surprise Senate run. Kinda shook the state up a little bit. Now this. It has to be concerning to Republicans as a whole for long term strategy. Going from a never lose to light red.

Arizona sorta makes sense to me, McCain had to be an icon there, Californians moving there. Immigration probably goes both ways but people there probably are closer to the rhetoric trump arose out of it. It's usually been a swing state I think, I'm surprise its in play for trump.

What shocks me is the southern states of NC, SC & GA.  I think trump loses minimum of one of them.

One thing that probably deserves looking at in this election and future ones is demographic shifts - some stalwart red states may be up for grabs in the near future. It's been talked about for years growing that BAME communities and populations are growing and eventually if trends continue to the point where that M will be redundant as they won't be a minority.

It doesn't take for the balance to get to say 60/40 BAME to traditional white folk for that to have effects in elections. Something closer 40/60 (maybe less, maybe more) could be enough to flip some races, when the EC works on a winner takes all basis where all you need is 50.0001% to take all the votes - especially when one side deploys so much race-baiting rhetoric.

You toss in these demographic shifts along with Trump presidency gaffes, COVID mishandling etc. and you perhaps have a recipe for a Republican disaster. :shrug: will be interesting to see what happens in a couple weeks time.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I elected science deniers?  I've never voted for Trump (though I plan to in 3 weeks).  Who is voting for the people who think men can become women, that men can have periods and that a woman can have a penis and testicles?

It's funny how nobody ANYWHERE wants to answer this.

I mean... they can. There's decades of writing and academic study on gender, how it isn't binary and isn't fixed after being assigned at conception birth - even hundreds of years ago there are examples of gender fluid ideas in Native American tribes. If you are referring to biological sex of a person then fine sure, that's just describing someone's physiology though.

Flagg, you say that trans peoples "deserve to be loved and find happiness" and that they should be treated with "dignity and respect"... but also write

It's been 3 weeks since SGT Barnes got her medication to keep her fabricated vagina from closing shut.

Hardly a respectful tone that treats trans people with any dignity. Frankly, at best I doubt you actually give a shit about them at all and at worst I actually see a bit of hatred in the way that you write about them.

Anyway in political news... any of you see the polling about Texas these past few days?! I expect Trump still takes it but why the fuck is that state polling so tightly. Surely a bad sign for the Trump campaign generally.... right? Also... why is Arizona in play?!

There isn't much here dude.  Native Americans concept of gender have no basis in modern day science, nor do I accept you're unsubstantiated claim.   I'm unaware of females leading Native American tribes, so try again Englishman.  I'll ask again, please define gender and provide a list of female and male gender traits.  You can't do this, because the woke crowd believes gender is fluid and indefinable.  If it can't be quantified or defined, it has no basis in an intellectual discussion.  It's make believe.

Whether or not you're aware that Catelyn Jenner will be on medication the rest of her life to prevent her artificial vagina from closing like a wound doesn't negate its truth.  Soldiers in a combat zone don't have access to this type of medication, nor should they. 

There aren't decades of studies saying gender can be changed or isn't defined.  All research on gender is based on the presence of the X or Y chromosome.  It's based on sex, not what woke teenagers think is a new classification of people.  How about we just acknowledge that people are male or female and have a very large amount of personality traits and sexual fetishes within those confines. 

You're not going to win this one, so please don't start with the woke bullshit.  If you however can define gender and provide a comprehensive list of gender traits unique to the two that actually exist, or even the constantly increasing amount of genders non STEM bases academics are pushing, go for it.  But this information doesn't exist because it's at direct odds with the notion of what they want gender to be.

Please don't impugn my motives because you're completely ignorant on the subject.  Until you can provide a compelling answer otherwise, I'll continue to use the historical oxford definition of "gender".

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Texas isn't going blue. I would be more concerned about losing more and more Hispanic and black voters, especially to a candidate like Trump. What happens when there's a good candidate? Losing just a small percentage of them won't be made up by a bunch of awful progressives moving to red states.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I just saw something funny and literally laughed out loud. 

I stepped outside for a quick breath of fresh air, and saw a guy drive by wearing a mask while holding his dog in one hand (who's looking out the window) and driving with the other.  So yeah, way to play it safe and not catch coronavirus in your car by yourself while carrying your dog and driving one handed.

(Normally I wouldn't mock people who drive wearing a mask as they could be uber/lyft drivers, but obviously holding a dog he wasn't)

Board footer