You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Current Events Thread

bigbri wrote:

The American worker became the enemy in the 80s, because the GOP didn't like unions. That has gotten, even as unions have waned, worse, thus proof unions were doing their job. Yes, there are some bad aspects/actors in unions, but overall good. I mean, hell, we've gotten this country to believe a $15 minimum wage is bad, even as the cost of living has vastly outpaced wages.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

The American worker became the enemy in the 80s, because the GOP didn't like unions. That has gotten, even as unions have waned, worse, thus proof unions were doing their job. Yes, there are some bad aspects/actors in unions, but overall good. I mean, hell, we've gotten this country to believe a $15 minimum wage is bad, even as the cost of living has vastly outpaced wages.

Excellent post..

Here’s the thing...labor’s best weapon to compete and  leverage the economy like everyone else does has always been unions.

Unions are virtually dead in 2021.

As we know, republicans are experts at pushing wedges between people. Many laborers were anxious and excited to gave up their economic leverage over petty, stupid ass shit.

The war is over nationally. Republicans have wonand most people that work for a living are grateful for the crumbs they receive. Furthermore, they’ve made these same laborers resentful of immigrants who do these jobs for cheap.

The irony of the whole Trump movement is that labor has fully accepted their complete lack of leverage or representation in the economic system.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Yeah the GOP definitely switched gears from the 70s in the 80s.

Roger And Me was an ok documentary. Not a Moore fan.

Eventually something will give. This trajectory of huge wealth gaps can’t be sustainable.

I can see China ?? rising as a superpower, and the US with its identity politics, and ever increasing wealth gap becoming a shadow of its former self.

I hope I’m wrong. Because the 21st century should be America’s. Just like after WW2 was America’s.

Empires do fall. Hopefully Rome puts out it’s fire before it’s too late.

As a world with China(not the people) as the sole super power is scary.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

Yeah the GOP definitely switched gears from the 70s in the 80s.

Roger And Me was an ok documentary. Not a Moore fan.

Eventually something will give. This trajectory of huge wealth gaps can’t be sustainable.

I can see China ?? rising as a superpower, and the US with its identity politics, and ever increasing wealth gap becoming a shadow of its former self.

I hope I’m wrong. Because the 21st century should be America’s. Just like after WW2 was America’s.

Empires do fall. Hopefully Rome puts out it’s fire before it’s too late.

As a world with China(not the people) as the sole super power is scary.

If this country is going to continue to treat people who work for a living like shit....it’s over. Bc China already does this and is still beating us.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

A Biden double whammy....

Putin wants to debate him live....which obviously won't happen.

As #chickenbiden is trending on Twitter, Biden almost falls down the stairs on Air Force One.

He's not finishing this term. They'll have to deep fake him to make it happen.

Just keep him indoors. He's too frail to do anything resembling normal presidential duties.  Let him meet with advisers several times a day between naps.

When going out in public, dope him up good and keep it short and sweet.

He needs a really basic script. He also needs to stop referring to Kamala as President Harris. His deteriorating state combined with these slips of the tongue don't exactly create an aura of confidence in his abilities.

Gotta love Reddit. Tons of people on the politics sub saying that they fall down the stairs ALL the time!!  16

I realize he's not the first president to do that but holy shit....look at him. You could knock him over with a feather.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

You need a new argument. We’ve been hearing Biden can’t walk or talk for 2 straight years and he continues to walk and talk better than the last guy did for the past 4 years.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

Why is Putin challenging Biden to a debate make Biden look bad? When is the last time two world leading adversaries sat down across from each other and had a televised debate? Trump stroking Putin during a press conference doesn’t apply.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I don't agree with this at all. I don't know anyone who thought the American worker was the enemy. While republicans became too pro wealth, you're completely discounting why workers don't want unions, and there's more than just "bad aspects." We have unions because we can't trust corporations, unions care about the power they hold. They've dwindled because they're unsustainable. The auto unions were completely out of control.

To put this as "the mean gop is the problem" is completely ignoring reality. If you force Huntsville to adopt Seattle wages, their economy is toast. Average minimum wage in this country is $11.80. We can find a way to bring up wages without wrecking the economy.

misterID

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

You need a new argument. We’ve been hearing Biden can’t walk or talk for 2 straight years and he continues to walk and talk better than the last guy did for the past 4 years.

I think you guys need a better argument than "Yeah, but Trump..." when justifying anything Biden does. I'm not going to dunk on him for his awful gafs, but he doesn't look/sound good. Exactly why he won't take questions from anyone but people like Stephanopoulos.

I do think Kamala takes over at some point.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Board footer