You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

The American worker became the enemy in the 80s, because the GOP didn't like unions. That has gotten, even as unions have waned, worse, thus proof unions were doing their job. Yes, there are some bad aspects/actors in unions, but overall good. I mean, hell, we've gotten this country to believe a $15 minimum wage is bad, even as the cost of living has vastly outpaced wages.

I don't agree with this at all. I don't know anyone who thought they American worker is the enemy. While republicans became too pro wealth, you're completely discounting why workers don't want unions, and there's more than just "bad aspects." We have unions because we can't trust corporations, unions care about the power they hold. They've dwindled because they're unsustainable. The auto unions were completely out of control.

To put this as "the mean gop is the problem" is completely ignoring reality. If you force Huntsville to adopt Seattle wages, their economy is toast. Average minimum wage in this country is $11.80. We can find a way to bring up wages without wrecking the economy.

Unions care about the power they hold the same way private business does.

You can think unions were the problem all you want. Meanwhile now corporations hold the sole power in the economy. don’t hold your breath waiting around for them to do the right thing.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

The American worker became the enemy in the 80s, because the GOP didn't like unions. That has gotten, even as unions have waned, worse, thus proof unions were doing their job. Yes, there are some bad aspects/actors in unions, but overall good. I mean, hell, we've gotten this country to believe a $15 minimum wage is bad, even as the cost of living has vastly outpaced wages.

I don't agree with this at all. I don't know anyone who thought they American worker is the enemy. While republicans became too pro wealth, you're completely discounting why workers don't want unions, and there's more than just "bad aspects." We have unions because we can't trust corporations, unions care about the power they hold. They've dwindled because they're unsustainable. The auto unions were completely out of control.

To put this as "the mean gop is the problem" is completely ignoring reality. If you force Huntsville to adopt Seattle wages, their economy is toast. Average minimum wage in this country is $11.80. We can find a way to bring up wages without wrecking the economy.

I mean, no shit, man.

You can think unions were the problem all you want. Meanwhile now corporations hold the sole power in the economy. don’t hold your breath waiting around for them to do the right thing.

When did I say they were the problem? My whole point was that it wasn't one thing or one group.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Biden team, Blinken etc seem to align more with Trump and Pompeo than Biden. A lot of hard talk from them. Will Biden back them? China told them to get fucked. They think Biden is weak

misterID

misterID wrote:

Trump could be a hard ass because he had no skin in the game with China, and he didn't give a shit about the consequences of tariffs. I can guarantee you if he had the business relationship with China that he did with Saudi Arabia (or if China supported his presidency the way Russia did) his attitude would've been been much different.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

You need a new argument. We’ve been hearing Biden can’t walk or talk for 2 straight years and he continues to walk and talk better than the last guy did for the past 4 years.

This country needs to face reality....not find a new argument.

Yes....Trump was a shit show. This country may never fully recover from the Trump era.

Now that we've got that out of the way....

That was then, this is now.

When there's something going on (good or bad) with the president, it doesn't instantly go away because his predecessor sucked.

Biden is on the decline. That is a fact. Watch video of him during the Obama years and now. It's night and day. He practically whispers when he talks, has difficulty walking like many old people do, and half the time he thinks his wife is his sister, thinks Kamala is the president, etc. Many other examples.

We're only a couple months in and I'm already tired of people blaming this on his stutter.

It's not his stutter.

A stutter does not make you forget who your wife is.

Have you noticed he is the least active modern day president? If everything is hunky dory like the media and his hardcore base wants us to believe, why is he so inactive?

This country did not vote for him...we voted against Trump. Our country's desire to rid ourselves of the Trump horror show led us to elect a near 80 year old man in a downward spiral...and a VP literally no one wanted.

As far as the job he's doing so far, he's doing ok. A definite improvement over Trump. Just passed the stimulus, they're taking the virus more seriously with the vaccine rollout, he's considering a tax increase on the mega rich, early talks of a massive infrastructure project (decades overdue), etc.

This doesn't wipe away the other issues though.

As far as the Putin debate goes....the issue isn't that he won't accept it. The issue is that Putin clearly knows something is wrong with him to say such a thing and at some point, these two will be meeting one on one at a summit.

Yeah I know....Trump sucked at summits. Not the point. Trump was a narcissistic clown at various summits. What's Biden gonna be like?

Trump had one thing going for him on the world stage....he was unpredictable and many countries fear such a type. It caused North Korea to sit up and take notice.

Biden doesn't have that angle....we put out feelers with North Korea and they ignored us. Russia and China aren't appearing to be very respectful either.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I mean, no shit, man.

When did I say they were the problem? My whole point was that it wasn't one thing or one group.

I don't know why we're even talking about this tired, old...frankly dead argument. Corporations won this decades ago.

When a member of the labor force defends this seriously and whole heartedly, there's no other evidence needed.

Arguments aren't won and lost on facts...they're won with propaganda.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

You need a new argument. We’ve been hearing Biden can’t walk or talk for 2 straight years and he continues to walk and talk better than the last guy did for the past 4 years.

Yes....Trump was a shit show. This country may never fully recover from the Trump era.

When there's something going on (good or bad) with the president, it doesn't instantly go away because his predecessor sucked.

Biden is on the decline. That is a fact. Watch video of him during the Obama years and now. It's night and day. He practically whispers when he talks, has difficulty walking like many old people do, and half the time he thinks his wife is his sister, thinks Kamala is the president, etc. Many other examples.

We're only a couple months in and I'm already tired of people blaming this on his stutter.

It's not his stutter.

Have you noticed he is the least active modern day president? If everything is hunky dory like the media and his hardcore base wants us to believe, why is he so inactive?

This country did not vote for him...we voted against Trump. Our country's desire to rid ourselves of the Trump horror show led us to elect a near 80 year old man in a downward spiral...and a VP literally no one wanted.

As far as the job he's doing so far, he's doing ok. A definite improvement over Trump. Just passed the stimulus, they're taking the virus more seriously with the vaccine rollout, he's considering a tax increase on the mega rich, early talks of a massive infrastructure project (decades overdue), etc.

As far as the Putin debate goes....the issue isn't that he won't accept it. The issue is that Putin clearly knows something is wrong with him to say such a thing and at some point, these two will be meeting one on one at a summit.

Yeah I know....Trump sucked at summits. Not the point. Trump was a narcissistic clown at various summits. What's Biden gonna be like?

Trump had one thing going for him on the world stage....he was unpredictable and many countries fear such a type. It caused North Korea to sit up and take notice.

Biden doesn't have that angle....we put out feelers with North Korea and they ignored us. Russia and China aren't appearing to be very respectful either.

Yea...I just...I just don't care...

Some of this stuff sounds straight out of the national inquirer. Didn't Trump walk around with toilet paper coming out of his pants? Did Trump just drop an umbrella and meander off into an airplane?

Truthfully...I don't want Russia or China's respect. I don't care...who cares about respect? What does that look like anyway? photo-ops? Loving tweets? Whispering sweet nothings into each other's ears?

Trump and Biden are a mere couple years apart in age. Trump wasn't coherent...he just screamed and postured. That didn't exude strength or control to me...it exuded desperation. Why does a man with power of 13 of the world's top militaries need to behave like that?

Fine...you wanna go the 'Trump doesn't matter anymore...' argument. Trump and his acolytes are working very hard to deeply restrict voting going forward. They'll probably win too. Voting should only be easy if your rich and don't actually work a 9-5. Also if you're in the military you can simply vote by raising your hand.

That's the shit that concerns me way more than how Biden looks on tv. A political party that hasn't won the national popular but once in 30 years will continue to fuck with the system until they get their way. A political party that holds 50 seats in the Senate and yet represents 42 millions less people than the other 50 senators. A political party that will do their best to gerrymander the shit out of the house so the Dems can never win that again either.

This shit is way more concerning to me. I don't need to see Biden on tv every day. Hell...I don't care if I see him at all.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Everything you just posted comes straight from the progressive mediasphere and not reality. Just wow... And I didn't know 2004 was over thirty years ago.

BTW, the Senate doesn't represent the people, that's congress.

James

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

It's not his stutter.

Yea...I just...I just don't care...

Some of this stuff sounds straight out of the national inquirer. Didn't Trump walk around with toilet paper coming out of his pants? Did Trump just drop an umbrella and meander off into an airplane?

Truthfully...I don't want Russia or China's respect. I don't care...who cares about respect? What does that look like anyway? photo-ops? Loving tweets? Whispering sweet nothings into each other's ears?

Trump and Biden are a mere couple years apart in age. Trump wasn't coherent...he just screamed and postured. That didn't exude strength or control to me...it exuded desperation. Why does a man with power of 13 of the world's top militaries need to behave like that?

Fine...you wanna go the 'Trump doesn't matter anymore...' argument. Trump and his acolytes are working very hard to deeply restrict voting going forward. They'll probably win too. Voting should only be easy if your rich and don't actually work a 9-5. Also if you're in the military you can simply vote by raising your hand.

That's the shit that concerns me way more than how Biden looks on tv. A political party that hasn't won the national popular but once in 30 years will continue to fuck with the system until they get their way. A political party that holds 50 seats in the Senate and yet represents 42 millions less people than the other 50 senators. A political party that will do their best to gerrymander the shit out of the house so the Dems can never win that again either.

This shit is way more concerning to me. I don't need to see Biden on tv every day. Hell...I don't care if I see him at all.

You literally spent four years whining about how Trump was being perceived on the world stage...but now you conveniently don't care.

But you do still care about the one not in a position of power.

The US president plays a vital role in our force projection.  The side you blindly cheer on never let us forget this...until now where it's apparently no longer relevant.

Every issue that was previously considered relevant has turned into this.

Do you seriously not understand diplomacy and the concept of hard and soft power?

I find that hard to believe.

It's amazing how they can get people to fall for this.  What a world.

If we have a president who is going to have difficulty in lengthy one on one summit meetings with world leaders....yes it is a problem. Burying your head in the sand doesn't make it go away.

Gerrymandering an issue? Have you ever heard of the concept of multitasking?  The Dems have the executive branch, the house, and own the tiebreaker in the Senate.

If they are unable to handle these issues that concern you, it's not Trump's fault.

Who do you blame for the kids in cages now? They're now at full capacity. Apparently all it took was to stop calling them cages and they magically disappear.

I predicted this very thing last year.... everything people criticized, they would start loving or simply pretend it no longer exists.

James

James wrote:

Looks like the war drums are beating between Russia and Ukraine.

Biden is about to be tested.

Board footer