You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Current Events Thread

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

All I know is there is no more respect for others anymore. We don’t have many gentlemen and ladies serving anymore or being leaders. People destroy shit until they get what they want. They behave like little children. This current culture in the US is not sustainable.

The West is collapsing. It has amused itself to death.  It's no surprise that everyone is being divided and turning on one another.

Everyone is kept in a state of outrage and whining about non-issues.

The class war that should be on front street has been disguised as a race and gender war with miscellaneous outrages in between.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Btw, Newsom will be recalled, and if he doesn't get 50% of the runoff he's out as governor.

In the latest news hot off the presses.....

You are a white supremacist if you're for the recall against Newsom.

This is exactly what I have been talking about. Anyone who dares to vote against this clown will be painted as an extremist....and in retaliation, anyone who votes for him will be painted as a communist.

He knew exactly what he was doing when he said that.

We don't get to have normal elections anymore. Both sides have to be riled up to the point that they don't even know what they're truly for or against. The actual issues don't matter.  This is all by design.

In the good old days, he would've been forced to resign over such a statement.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

All I know is there is no more respect for others anymore. We don’t have many gentlemen and ladies serving anymore or being leaders. People destroy shit until they get what they want. They behave like little children. This current culture in the US is not sustainable.

I refuse to hear this from a real life Trump supporter....4 years of respecting nobody...

you don't get to lecture me now...

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I think I’m in favor of accelerating the process of creating an inclusive society especially economically. Even if we can’t predict all of the initial ramifications.

That's the danger though.

There's a danger in the status quo too isn't there?

The problem we are in I think is that the current system has some serious inequalities and flaws, but yet, it's also the most successful system we have ever had, in that the cultural and technological developments our society has overseen have increased the lifespan and the standard of living of everyone, including the poor and disaffected, quite dramatically.

Who is we? When you say this is the best system we've ever had?

Meanwhile a lot of the alternatives to the western systems that have been tested out have been pretty disastrous - far right policies in germany, far left in russia - lets just say they didn't go well.

There is a theory within political study that refers to something about the extremes of each side. It basically states that on the far fringes of each side you basically end up with this same. In other words the farthest left and right bring up to the same conclusions...the only difference is how we talk about or describe them.

So I think the problem is - while we all agree there's things that suck about the status quo - it's very hard to figure out the best way to improve on it without some really dangerous risks.

I agree with what I think was your point that we're seeing various organisations tailoring content (or some would say pandering lol) to the female component of their audience. I think some do it politically cos it fits their feminist world view, I think others are just cashing in oen a trend in society at the moment, and I think some are just trying to expend their marketshare. If you can get women into traditionally male hobbies or men into traditionally female hobbies enmasse you could theoretically double your audience - I think that plays a factor.

Well I mean...exactly...you just said it better than I did. But it then begs the question...if the private sector is doing this, then they're just making 'business decisions' and any so called social engineering isn't so sinister.

I'm not sure if it's the end times or not. TBH it often seems to feel like it these days - but then history would suggest it's most likely not. I do think we're at the end of a turning point in our culture though. Imagine flipping through a history book written hundreds of years from now about all the different eras. I suspect that people of our approximate age might be living such that our youths are featured in one chapter of the book, and the second half of our lives in an entirely new chapter with a new heading. It sure seems like that - even in relation to just before and after the net - or before and after 911 in terms of world affairs, or before and after ther pandemic, or maybe a much wider distinction yet to revel itself.

I agree...when I said that James' comment about fearing the next couple decades because we won't recognize the world we live in anymore...I think he made a valid point. The end of times has relative meaning. The year 2020 may get some mention...but our generation and the one that preceded us will be nothing worth writing in history books about.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I refuse to hear this from a real life Trump supporter....4 years of respecting nobody...

Trump could be a dick, but he also wouldn’t burn your house down like Biden voters would.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I love watching a room full of fully vaccinated people wear masks and sit 10’ from each other. Lol

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The problem we are in I think is that the current system has some serious inequalities and flaws, but yet, it's also the most successful system we have ever had, in that the cultural and technological developments our society has overseen have increased the lifespan and the standard of living of everyone, including the poor and disaffected, quite dramatically.

Who is we? When you say this is the best system we've ever had?

Humans overall.

Which isn't to say that life isn't shit for a lot of people but apparently it's actually getting less shit overall each year, and there
s less suffering now than at any other point in history - even though there's still a ton of suffering going on now.

For example according to world vision website the number of kids dying from preventable causes before age 5 is less than half what it was in 1990. Likewise in 1990 36% of the world was existing on $1.90 a day or less, now that number is 9%.

Mind you they go on to talk about the risks of the pandemic reversing that progress - so I'm not saying there's no issues.

But yeah I guess my point is that capitalism is horrible in some ways in that a lot of people lose the game so to speak - but the overall trend of quality of living for everyone does seem to SLOWLY improve...so it seems to work even though it's a horrid system at times.

Then we have the various experiments into other systems like communism and so on that seemed to collapse and/or result in significant numbers of deaths.

So I guess I'm just saying while there's room for improvement, we'd want to be careful cos at least things kinda work at the moment. To some degree anyway.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Trump could be a dick, but he also wouldn’t burn your house down like Biden voters would.

Trump voters literally attacked our seat of government, tried to disrupt the most secure and fair election we've ever conducted, and would have killed lawmakers if they actually found them.

So, yeah, your guys did way worse.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Trump voters literally attacked our seat of government, tried to disrupt the most secure and fair election we've ever conducted, and would have killed lawmakers if they actually found them.

So, yeah, your guys did way worse.

Anyone who participated in that day should never be allowed to vote again.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'm glad I don't have a side, they're all equally terrible. Whether storming the capital, or the white house, or state houses, they're all swine who feed from the same trough.

Board footer