You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mcconnell-sa … 02299.html

You don’t negotiate with people who publicly say the plan will get no Republican votes.

The only incentive to negotiate is to make it appear as bipartisan as possible.

There’s no version of this the Republicans will ever support so i say Dems should just do what they want while still keeping all 50 votes needed.

Even if they do the $600 billion version i guarantee no Republican will vote for it.

They said there are no votes for the 4 Trillion dollar plan, not that they’re against any plan. Did you read what was in the 4 trillion dollar bill?  Why do you support those inclusions that fall out of the traditional definition of “infrastructure”. There’s a real chance here to get a 1.5 trillion bill dedicated to bridges, roads and other “infrastructure”. A bipartisan group of Senators is working on it. That’s a good thing.

I disagree, I believe something over 1 trillion if tied to actual infrastructure would get broad Republican support. There are a bunch of good ideas moderates could rally behind and improve the lives of the every day American if they cut out the excess to appease their base.

I just feel like we've done this before...it's the Dems that always have to tuck their tail between their legs and compromise.

I just don't believe that when push comes to shove any Republican will vote for anything in the Biden era. They'll get the privilege of voting against it, benefiting from it anyway and going home to their rabid, misinformed bases and scream about election fraud and how the 2020 election was stolen. That's the plan until 2022 mid-terms.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They have all the leverage, if they can't stop themselves from going full tea party and get stuff done, they deserve what they get. Just like the tea party.

Chauvin may not get out of prison, but he's going to get a new trial, and may just get a good plea deal. WTF is wrong with these jurors?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/de … ?ocid=AMZN

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

They have all the leverage, if they can't stop themselves from going full tea party and get stuff done, they deserve what they get. Just like the tea party.

Chauvin may not get out of prison, but he's going to get a new trial, and may just get a good plea deal. WTF is wrong with these jurors?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/de … ?ocid=AMZN

I read that earlier. Juror was literally at the BLM rally in DC wearing a shirt that said  “ Get your knee off our necks”. And lied about it on his juror form. It would be a gross abuse of justice if he didn’t get a new trial after the judge’s refusal to sequester from the start, the comments of all those who opined in official capacity, to the attention on the topic as a nation we had, to clear bias by a member of the jury. Chauvin will never be found not guilty, nor should he be. But just as him facing trial for Floyd was very important to our rule of law, so is Chauvin’s right to an impartial jury. I’d like to hear how those who disagree, and don’t believe the impartiality of the jury was affected come to that conclusion with this latest evidence.

I wasn’t a member of the jury, so my knowledge is dick, but having watched every second of video, I didn’t understand how the murder 2 charge stuck. Any judge will recognize the burden of proof to overcome a reasonable doubt of the murder 2 charge and contrast that with the clear bias of the jury.

I was on a jury 2 years ago, and I got us all dismissed because the juror next to me commented “I can tell if a person is guilty by the look in their eyes” during pretrial arrangements. I immediately told the judge, and he dismissed the entire jury pool because of it. Knowing that standard, and knowing a member of the jury openly protested against Chauvin before the trial, I don’t see how it ends any other way.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again...why anyone thinks it’s a violation of their free speech when they’re shown to be lying repeatedly is a real head scratcher to me.

Trump should never again be allowed to use social media.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Exactly what i thought

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mitch-mcconn … 59153.html

Play nice and speak of bipartisanship...

Behind closed doors it was never intended...it was....buy time and see how long we can string them along....

McConnell is who he is...and the rest fall in line...

At some point Biden has to learn from the Obama mistakes...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Uh...how is this any different than what dems did to Trump? There was a whole "resist" movement that demanded they not give any victories to Trump. And if you missed it, the Senate has worked with Biden -- passing 15 bills already and no filibusters.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I don't understand all the doom and gloom.  Of course I don't agree with everything the Biden admin is doing, but it's largely business as usual.  He doesn't have the votes to implement the wacky shit the progressives want, and members of his own party have stood firm in opposing a massive power grab.  Kudos to Manchin, Sinema and Kelly. 

No court packing, no removing the filibuster, and no using reconciliation to bypass rules that have been implemented for over a century.  Maybe they can work together on the much needed infrastructure plan.  Maybe they can work on immigration.  It's all but assured the GOP will reclaim Congress in 20 months with historical precedent and the political landscape.  I'd much rather the hyper partisanship nonsense end, and the moderates in both party's working together to find middle ground solutions to our problems.  We saw both sides be completes asses and hypocrites during Obama and Trump.  Maybe it's time for our legislature to do their damn jobs and ignore the mouth breathers on twitter and network media.

Are you totally sure about them reclaiming Congress in 2022?  There are a fair amount of retirements in the GOP.  That being said,  I agree with you.  I really wish both sides would stop fucking around and just pass the bill.  I mean there is no real reason for this thing to be drawn out/kabuki'd.  This is a infrastructure bill and not a Supreme Court justice nomination.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Caitlynn Jenner supports building the walk and would eliminate all sanctuary cities...

So she’s basically transgender Trump.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

slashsfro wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I don't understand all the doom and gloom.  Of course I don't agree with everything the Biden admin is doing, but it's largely business as usual.  He doesn't have the votes to implement the wacky shit the progressives want, and members of his own party have stood firm in opposing a massive power grab.  Kudos to Manchin, Sinema and Kelly. 

No court packing, no removing the filibuster, and no using reconciliation to bypass rules that have been implemented for over a century.  Maybe they can work together on the much needed infrastructure plan.  Maybe they can work on immigration.  It's all but assured the GOP will reclaim Congress in 20 months with historical precedent and the political landscape.  I'd much rather the hyper partisanship nonsense end, and the moderates in both party's working together to find middle ground solutions to our problems.  We saw both sides be completes asses and hypocrites during Obama and Trump.  Maybe it's time for our legislature to do their damn jobs and ignore the mouth breathers on twitter and network media.

Are you totally sure about them reclaiming Congress in 2022?  There are a fair amount of retirements in the GOP.  That being said,  I agree with you.  I really wish both sides would stop fucking around and just pass the bill.  I mean there is no real reason for this thing to be drawn out/kabuki'd.  This is a infrastructure bill and not a Supreme Court justice nomination.

Totally sure? Of course not.  I can't predict the future, but the president's party almost always loses seats in a midterm, the only exception to this in the past 20 years was 2002, and we had just been attacked in 9/11.  2006, Democrats took Congress.  2010, the GOP took the house and kept it until 2018, when Democrats won it in the midterm.  In 2014, the GOP took the Senate and kept it until 2020 (and a 50/50 split isn't exactly a loss).  I'm opining, but it's an educated one based on historical precedent, and you can find articles from the NY Times to Washington Post making the same argument.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Caitlynn Jenner supports building the walk and would eliminate all sanctuary cities...

So she’s basically transgender Trump.

I support both of those yet I can't stand Trump or Jenner.

I've said it for years....the right is crazy for writing off Cali as a loss. They could take the governor's seat and if they were willing to pound the pavement til their knuckles bleed, could pull off an upset and win the state's electoral votes in the presidential election.

Trump was an idiot for not doing heavy campaigning here on immigration.

Everyone talks about the imminent death of the Republicans thanks to Trumpism.

Imagine a scenario where they pull California out of the hat.

Board footer