You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Current Events Thread

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

And it matters because McConnell (who is not loathed by Republicans, btw) and Cruz do not put themselves in these positions.

I'd say it's more party discipiline.  Let's face it Cruz is HATED (have you heard former Speaker John Boemer talk about him?)  The difference is generally speaking Republicans are more disciplined and tend to keep their arguments in house.  Cruz toes the party line positions, even if he is a total asshat and douchebag.  They tolerate with him because he is a reliable vote on most issues for them.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm getting really sick of China running its mouth.

We're ready to defeat the US in a war!!!

In which alternate universe?

They say our military is irrelevant. Really? The US just chased you away from those islands of pelican shit a few weeks ago.

It's amazing how the big dogs in our military can show such verbal restraint when China and Russia mouth off like this.

I'd be telling it like it is.

James

James wrote:

Charles Grodin died.

I can't hardly believe he was 86.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

They say our military is irrelevant. Really? The US just chased you away from those islands of pelican shit a few weeks ago.

It's amazing how the big dogs in our military can show such verbal restraint when China and Russia mouth off like this.

Wouldn’t that just escalate things?

It’s kind of like the lowly Jets saying they can beat Tom Brady’s Bucs.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James wrote:

Charles Grodin died.

I can't hardly believe he was 86.

You know, I was never a fan of his. I think when I was a kid I heard him in an interview talking about how things in film and tv should be banned because they were obscene, he was actively trying to get Howard Stern off the air and he believed in censorship. I think that always soured me on him.

James

James wrote:

I was never a big fan neither. .

I remember in the early 90s he had a talk show on CNBC and he came across a tad awkward. It wasn't a natural fit for him.

Not as weird as the Chevy Chase show....but nearing that territory.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I was never a big fan neither. .

I remember in the early 90s he had a talk show on CNBC and he came across a tad awkward. It wasn't a natural fit for him.

I remember that show.  He came off as some cranky old guy who was out of touch.  He'll probably be remembered for his Midnight Run role and deservedly so.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I have no idea why, but Grodin reminded me how fantastic Dudley Moore was. He could play the cantankerous dudes Grodin was known for, but make them likeable. His character in 10 was pretty unlikable, but man, he really made you like him.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James wrote:

There’s not anything the US can do to China that China isn’t capable of doing. China’s winning. They’re a totalitarian state who is quite literally committing genocide against a million of its ethnic and religious minorities in its western region. And the world does nothing except buy more Chinese goods. China will control Africa in 50 years, by which any sense of a border between the US and Central America will be non-existent. They’re beating us in artificial intelligence and autonomous drones.

They require every citizen to link their ID to their cell phone and online persona. They read their citizens email. They don’t have BLM activist shutting down a major highway or fire bombing a court house on a daily basis. They don’t have right wing nut jobs posting lizard man theories that get some dipshit Q leader elected. They have one media that spoonfeeds their population one narrative (how much we’re alike!), and their people are nearly unified/pacified.

Compared to the US who has both sides of its political divide in stale mate, who openly considers the merits of abolishing police or immigration enforcement. We argue over whether a woman can abort a 9 month old fetus crowning, where until very recently in China you needed permission to have a child.  The progressives in America believe the traditional understanding of free speech is too liberal. Our entire modern society is based on the concept of intersectionality and the isolation and uniqueness of arbitrary traits to be more of an individual, while China’s entire society is focused on the collective or group. I’ve been to China. Feel free to google the division of eastern and western concepts on autonomy and agency. It’s very real.

China’s people are tough and know hunger and strife. A sign of poverty in America is morbid obesity. I loathe China and everything Mao stands for. But that is a nation that is going to dominate the 21st century and be in an unrivaled position to act unilaterally at will. Europe can’t even handle a vaccine roll out it’s so over bloated in bureaucracy and lack of vision. Germany and France sacrifice their agency and power for fucking Greece and Romania? World superpowers 80 years ago, and they voluntarily agree to be handicapped by nations that haven’t mattered in 2k years.

The United States is a paper tiger. Our military is bloated and ill equipped. Yea, we actually have professionally trained Soldiers and the technology to circumcise a mouse with a drone strike from 8k miles away. Everyone we’ve fought since Korea has been our objective inferiors in any military capacity. That was by design. We can afford to give our soldiers 12k calories a day and internet access at night to drive in a 13 ton armored vehicle impervious to damage and shoot starving villagers who were told to fight or watch their child be raped by the local holy man. We defeated Iraq in a matter of fucking days. And they were in the top 10 armies of the world. Not with our heart of nobility, but because our Air Force vaporized theirs and bombed the fuck out of their cities destroying any command and control. Their armies surrendered in mass, and then we expected their people to be grateful we fucked over an entire generation. I’m not arguing the wrongness or rightness of the war, just crassly and accurately portraying the realities of it.

China doesn’t need to go toe to toe with our Soldiers or fancy ray guns. They just need to take out our comfort, and then the military will be ordered to restrain the riotous populace who freaks without access to gas, electricity or a guaranteed abundance of food. If COVID was lab released, (I’m not saying it is), then you have to evaluate if that was intentional. Who handled Covid better? The US or China?  What did we learn about the US when panic strikes from a virus that didn’t even harm a 1/6th of a percent of the population? How easy is it now to shut down a major energy pipeline (No not the Keystone pipeline Biden ended) like Colonial’s was? If you think China couldn’t knock the US out with a 1-2 punch, I think you’re gravely mistaken.

misterID

misterID wrote:

China could be destroyed simply by the world's nations boycotting doing business with them. They wont.

Board footer