You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Current Events Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

One thing we are finding out is Russia’s military with the exception of nukes is trash and now we must must question how efficient their nuke stockpile is. Half are probably duds. What an embarrassment for pooty poo

What's surprised isn't the quality of the equipment. Some is a bit dated but it seems largely good and effective. It's the incompetence of it's deployment and use alongside their apparent disorganisation. And that's a personnel and internal culture problem for the Russian military and state, no amount of fancy kit fixes that.

Exactly. What a cluster fuck. But the dry rotted tires on the personnel movers was a bit shocking. What I hope doesn’t happen is he (Putin) doesn’t get frustrated and starts more intense bombing.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axl S wrote:

I've been shocked at the media pundit class and those in the centre (both right and left) calling for direct intervention or no fly zones and how they don't realise the risk (WW3/Nuclear war) and don't recognise that from a military point of view it's completely unnecessary.

Russia seem to be incapable of performing complex air operations and therefore are having to fly low. Meanwhile that country has been flooded with anti air weapons for weeks and months now. Their planes are flying low and getting taken out by farmers and volunteers.

Let Russia sweat as this drags. This doesn't lead to any sort of victory for them now anyways.

It's bizarre, like people have forgotten we were just in a war for 20 years.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

One thing we are finding out is Russia’s military with the exception of nukes is trash and now we must must question how efficient their nuke stockpile is. Half are probably duds. What an embarrassment for pooty poo

I agree...but then a while back I saw a thing about how even a handful of nukes (say India vs Pakistan) used quickly in urban areas could create a large enough fire that the resulting smoke would block out the sun globally for several years and apparently the world has something like 6 weeks worth of food security at a time.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I think he's handled the Russia-Ukraine crisis fairly well so far but the upcoming elections will be a complete disaster if he doesn't get control of what's happening here.

I lean left as you know, but I agree.  The Russia-Ukraine issue isn't really an election issue.  I mean we're just kinda there providing reconassance/support whatever.

The high gas prices (people can relate to this and it's EASILY understandable) and high cost of goods, the economy etc.  That will sink the Democrats.   It might not totally be their fault but voters blame the party in power here.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I think he's handled the Russia-Ukraine crisis fairly well so far but the upcoming elections will be a complete disaster if he doesn't get control of what's happening here.

I lean left as you know, but I agree.  The Russia-Ukraine issue isn't really an election issue.  I mean we're just kinda there providing reconassance/support whatever.

The high gas prices (people can relate to this and it's EASILY understandable) and high cost of goods, the economy etc.  That will sink the Democrats.   It might not totally be their fault but voters blame the party in power here.

He's refused to increase oil production. He could do so in the name of replenishing the reserves (which he should do anyway) with the strike of a pen. They can't force people into renewable energy when, 1- the technology is nowhere close to being able to replace fossil fuels in any meaningful way. 2- Cars that are available rely on expensive batteries that will create new mining cartels for things like nickel and lithium, which is horrific for the environment. 3- they are blocking all attempts to use nuclear, specifically because of the green energy corporation influence in the dem party, which is the only clean, renewable energy that can power this country. And the tech is only getting better. They can now turn nuclear waste into renewable energy.

How republicans are beholden to the coal/oil and gas companies, the dems are to green energy corporations.

James

James wrote:

The propaganda is getting bat shit crazy.

Ukraine releases a video of a mock attack on Paris as a warning to NATO.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThatsInsane/co … urce=share

James

James wrote:

James

James wrote:

"Russia has asked China for military equipment to support its invasion of Ukraine, sparking concern in the White House that Beijing may undermine western efforts to help Ukrainian forces defend their country.

US officials told the Financial Times that Russia had requested military equipment and other assistance since the start of the invasion. They declined to give details about what materiel Russia had requested.

Another person familiar with the situation said the US was preparing to warn allies about the situation amid some indications that China may be preparing to help Russia. Other US officials have also said there were signs that Russia was running out of some kinds of weaponry as the war in Ukraine approaches the start of its third week.

The White House did not comment. The Chinese embassy in Washington did not respond to a request for a comment.

The revelation comes as Jake Sullivan, US national security adviser, heads to Rome for talks on Monday with Yang Jiechi, China’s top foreign policy official. People familiar with the situation said Sullivan would sternly warn China that any efforts to help Russia prosecute the invasion or avoid western sanctions would have consequences.

Before leaving Washington on Sunday, Sullivan warned China not to try to “bail out” Russia by helping Moscow to circumvent the sanctions that the US and its allies have imposed on Putin and his regime.

“We will ensure that neither China, nor anyone else, can compensate Russia for these losses,” Sullivan told NBC television on Sunday. “In terms of the specific means of doing that, again, I’m not going to lay all of that out in public, but we will communicate that privately to China, as we have already done and will continue to do.

”The request for equipment and other kinds of unspecified military assistance comes as the Russian military struggles to make as much progress in Ukraine as western intelligence believe they expected.

It also raises fresh questions about the China-Russia relationship, which has grown increasingly strong as both countries express their opposition to the US over everything from Nato to sanctions.

China has portrayed itself as a neutral actor in the Ukraine crisis and has refused to condemn Russia for invading the country. The US has also seen no sign that Chinese president Xi Jinping is willing to put any pressure on Vladimir Putin, his Russian counterpart.

The two leaders signed a joint statement in Beijing last month describing the Beijing-Moscow partnership as having “no limits”, in another sign that the two capitals were drawing even closer together."

https://www.ft.com/content/30850470-8c8 … 497064a7b7

James

James wrote:

This development reminds me of that article I read a week ago saying on the surface it's a war between Russia and Ukraine but underneath will be a proxy war between the US and China.

Board footer