You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: GNREvo's Favourite Album of the Century so far, FINAL ROUND

PaSnow wrote:

Foo fighters probably deserved an album. They're wierdly consistent tho. I think around 2005 they had a great album, or one with alot of hits. Grohl was on fire thru the 2000s, but they kinda became just montonous. Since 2010 I'm not sure they've dona alot for me.

RHCP & The Killers were missing imho. VR too, surprised it didn't make it but Contraband is good, but imho if CD  makes it VR gets cut. It is what it is big_smile

Vote off your least favourite album

Audioslave (Audioslave) 33%
Elephant (The White Stripes 67%
Total votes: 9

AtariLegend wrote:

So yeah, it's over. Audioslave wins.

So final random thoughts on the albums in a loosely ranked way:

Kid A - Big album and hugely influential. Radiohead was the closest thing to a modern day Pink Floyd moving from The Bends and OK Computer, and doing a completely different experimental album. It's for the record RS's top album of the 00's.

Third - Big favourite of critics when it came out. I'm not a huge Portishead fan, but the few albums they actually released over the decades were very strong. There was a big gap between this and their second, comparable to the gap between UYI and Chinese Democracy. The difference being that this was loved.

Elephant - Not the greatest album, but it was very good and hugely successful/influential. On various lists.

Hybrid Theory - I really liked it as a kid and it sold massively. It was a big album with several memorable tracks. I wouldn't say it was that great, but was at least justifiable on the list.

Chinese Democracy - I love the rough mixes, but what was released was flawed and talked about to death.

Songs for the Deaf - I like it. It was a cool album worth of an album of the year list at the time, but it isn't one off the best. That said I did nominate it.

American Idiot - Not my cup of tea, but was a big album and at least made the RS Top 100 of the first half of the decade.

Audioslave - As said before, outside this forum and fringes on the net... it is not that highly regarded or on any major top 10 lists I've seen. Objectively, the best album of the past 20 years? Not a chance.

Hardwired to Self Destruct - Repetitive and the winner of receny bias. It's just not that great, though the sound quality is great.

Higher Truth - Only made it due to so few nominations.

AtariLegend wrote:

btw I did consider doing a Top 10 of the 90's and then 80's (imagine Thriller going out early *yikes*). However, there just wasn't enough interest in this series, it took a month to get enough nominees for this 1, and then we had albums going out with just 6 votes. So there's not much point, unless forum activity picks up anytime soon (don't count on it).

Thank you to all who participated in this one.

AtariLegend wrote:

ps. In Rainbows (which I didn't even nominate) is probably my favourite album atm of the decade.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

btw I did consider doing a Top 10 of the 90's and then 80's (imagine Thriller going out early *yikes*). However, there just wasn't enough interest in this series, it took a month to get enough nominees for this 1, and then we had albums going out with just 6 votes. So there's not much point, unless forum activity picks up anytime soon (don't count on it).

Thank you to all who participated in this one.

I think we did that years ago but lets toy with the idea & see where it goes. Even just reading others without nominating could be insightful & cause debate.

My 90s:
Nirvana - Nevermind (Excluding from order because its the most impactful, but not the best)
U2 - Achtung Baby
Metallica - Black Album
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Pearl Jam - Alive
GnR - UYI 1/2
Dr Dre - The Chronic (1993ish album?)
The Black Crowes - Shake Your Moneymaker
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Third Eye Blind - red album

80s:
GnR - AFD
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Michael Jackson - Thriller
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Bruce Springsteen - Born In the USA
Madonna - Like A Virgin
Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Prince - Purple Rain
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required

The 80s gets a little tough cause I didn't have or necessarily live thru or get fully into them all. Some like Bruce, Madonna & Phil Collins I know were big so picked the album more or less during the height of their popularity, maybe isn't their best album to the diehards. Also probably shoulda included Run DMC or Public Enemy in there. A decent list tho. Somewhat in order.

AtariLegend wrote:

This is along the lines of what I would have picked in no particular order without overthinking it:

90's

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (1994)
Radiohead - The Bends (1995)
Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)
Metallica - Metallica (1991)
Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion (1991)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991)

(Could have included albums by Alice In Chains (Dirt), Pearl Jam (Ten), Portishead (Dummy), Soundgarden (Superunknown), Megadeth (Countdown), perhaps even Michael Jackson (Dangerous), Iron Maiden (Fear of the Dark), Marilyn Manson (Mechanical Animals/Anti Christ Superstar) and another Nine Inch Nails album (The Fragile), REM, Moby ect.)

90's is harder simply due to their being so much to choose from. I could probably spend all day thinking about it.

80's

AC/DC - Back in Black (1980)
Metallica - ...And Justice for All (1988)
Micheal Jackson - Thriller (1983)
Megadeth - Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying? (1986)
Micheal Jackson - Bad (1987)
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987)
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

(Like the 90's it could go, but I don't want to go down the rabbit hole today)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The 80s gets a little tough

A LITTLE tough?  tongue The amount of great records that decade is off the charts. Same with the 90s actually.

Decades later I'm still discovering or rediscovering killer stuff.

AtariLegend wrote:
James wrote:

The 80s gets a little tough

A LITTLE tough?  tongue The amount of great records that decade is off the charts. Same with the 90s actually.

Decades later I'm still discovering or rediscovering killer stuff.

Here's how it would play out:

Appetite would win. However Thriller should have beaten the likely nominees.

I say that as a gn'r fan.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If memory serves me correctly, we specifically excluded AFD and Lies in the 80s elimination due to how UYI dominated the 90s elimination.

I might be mixing it up with one of those Madness tournaments we used to do.

Those decades so strong that tons of classic albums didn't make the cut.

But yeah...AFD would definitely win. Even though I don't listen to it anymore, I'd still rank it number one in the 80s.

As far as the 90s go, no way in hell would I place UYI near the top. Time isn't doing those albums any favors. It might not even make the top 10. If it did, it would only be my fan bias placing it there.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Atari I had RHCP BSSM on my mind when I started, then just slipped my mind as I typed. I think I'd place it after PJ - Ten. Maybe above it. Great album.

Board footer