You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

James wrote:

but the fact is, you get one shot at the GN'R reunion album.

This is a great point.

It could make or break the whole thing.

It's why I wish they'd go big or go home....shock the world with a double like they should've done with CD.

I honestly think once they've done the Great Big Reunion Album, Axl will get a lot more experimental with releases. Recording new tracks in an afternoon and popping up them up individually, like Lana Del Rey does. Just going, "oh hey you guys, I did an album, here it is," like Ariana Grande does. Going, fuck it, let's do an album of Bee Gees covers for the lols, like Dave Grohl does.

Hell, he's kind of done that sort of random shit already, like making his first studio recording a couple of unannounced Sebastian Bach guest spots, or just randomly doing Scooby-Doo for the hell of it.

The trouble is, the weight of expectation on The First New Guns N' Roses Release Featuring Slash And Axl Since 1995 is smothering. Everyone will have an opinion on how to release it; Axl, the band, Axl's management, Slash's management, the record company, the record company's marketing people, etc etc.

Once they've cleared that out of the pipes, I think new material will flow much more freely.

Will Guns n’ Roses release new music in 2021?

Yes, Q1 0%
Yes, Q2 3%
Yes, Q3 20%
Yes, Q4 9%
No. I can’t do this shit anymore. 69%
Total votes: 35
Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

This is a great point.

It's why I wish they'd go big or go home....shock the world with a double like they should've done with CD.

I honestly think once they've done the Great Big Reunion Album, Axl will get a lot more experimental with releases. Recording new tracks in an afternoon and popping up them up individually, like Lana Del Rey does. Just going, "oh hey you guys, I did an album, here it is," like Ariana Grande does. Going, fuck it, let's do an album of Bee Gees covers for the lols, like Dave Grohl does.

Hell, he's kind of done that sort of random shit already, like making his first studio recording a couple of unannounced Sebastian Bach guest spots, or just randomly doing Scooby-Doo for the hell of it.

The trouble is, the weight of expectation on The First New Guns N' Roses Release Featuring Slash And Axl Since 1995 is smothering. Everyone will have an opinion on how to release it; Axl, the band, Axl's management, Slash's management, the record company, the record company's marketing people, etc etc.

Once they've cleared that out of the pipes, I think new material will flow much more freely.

See, I'm optimistic we eventually get this reunion album. I even think there's a decent chance they clear the decks with CD and get a double album released in the same way Illusions was.

There is nothing that suggests the music flows more freely from Axl after that though. Not one hint of that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

This is a great point.

I admire the optimism and sounds great for an alternate universe I'd like to live in....but IMO.....

We're getting one album....period.

It'll be a swan song to bookend the discography with the main guys back, providing closure....and it can be used to promote a couple years of more touring.

Anything after that....if anything at all....will be various deluxe editions, DVD/Blu-ray, etc.

These guys are not going to get prolific all of a sudden. It's why I want a monster release.... we're in the home stretch.

elevendayempire

I genuinely think the opposite is true. You've all become so used to GN'R's… intermittent… release schedule that you've overlooked the fact that:

1) They've built an efficient machine with the NITL incarnation of GN'R. It turns up on time, blasts out the songs, gets the job done, in a way that… well, no previous incarnation of GN'R did. They're reliable and disciplined, like the Foo Fighters or AC/DC. A world away from the shambolic tours of 2002, or the ever-diminishing returns of Axl And His Revolving Door Of Funny Friends.

2) They have a band that the suits are actually invested in promoting. Throughout every incarnation of GN'R from 1995 to 2016, Axl was battling against the headwinds of management and a record company who weren't interested in the band he was pushing on them. All they wanted was Slash back in the band so they could stop pretending that Axl's touring freakshow was GN'R and get the casual audience back on board. To that end, they would stall, they would equivocate ("Sorry, man, you've only got four workable songs on here, what if you got back together with Slash…?"), they would do anything they could to sabotage the band. That's not an atmosphere that's conducive to releasing an album. It's a minor miracle we got Chinese Democracy, and even that was basically pushed out to "get it out of Axl's system" so he'd see the light and reunite with Slash.

Things are very, very different now. I think once they've got the GN'R Reunion Album out, the world's their oyster. An endless cycle of tour-album-tour? Sure, why not. Whacking a song out for a movie? Knock yourself out. Upload a jam session to Spotify as an EP? Go to town.

James

James wrote:

The amount of time between the reunion and now is almost the same length between AFD and TSI....and next year it will be as long as The Beatles entire run.

They're all staring down the barrel of 60.

The label is so interested in releases that they forgot to release a compilation to capitalize on the reunion.

If the plan was to somehow recapture their prime and enter prolific mode like it's 1990...it already crashed.

You don't spend the first five years of the reunion... specifically the first two years which are the most important....not releasing anything. Well....we got an overpriced box set that even hardcores laughed at.

You want a prolific reunion?

Soundgarden.

Within two years we already had a compilation with a new song, a live album, a new song on a superhero movie, and a new album. The next few years saw the release of two box sets and two deluxe editions.

Death had to stop them.

If this had all happened when it should have (2005-06) I would be more likely to agree we could be entering a new exciting phase.

It didn't....and these are the cards that have been dealt.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

Death had to stop them.

Apparently with another album almost in the can. Sadly held up now in legal disputes.

James

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

Death had to stop them.

Apparently with another album almost in the can. Sadly held up now in legal disputes.

There's been a thaw in that heated situation. Hopefully it continues.

Both sides have to know that the longer they wait to release that, the less it's going to sell.

It should've been priority number one after his death.

elevendayempire

James wrote:

Soundgarden.

Oh here we go, Soundgarden again. Look, I know you have a love affair with that band, but with the best will in the world, a Soundgarden reunion album is orders of magnitude less significant than a GN'R reunion album. GN'R is one of the iconic rock bands. They defined the look of the 80s, they were consistently dominating headlines throughout their 80s and 90s heyday. The only comparable thing I can think of is a Zeppelin reunion.

Or, wait, it's like comparing a fucking Herman's Hermits reunion to John Lennon and George Harrison digging themselves out of the ground and getting the Beatles back together.

If you want evidence, well, NITL was the third highest-grossing tour ever. The takings were half a billion dollars. https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryanrolli … fect-time/

The corresponding weight of expectation around a reunion album is orders of magnitude greater. Soundgarden could Just Get On With It because, well, their reunion is a nice-to-have, not a must-have. Everyone at the record company, and their mother, will have an opinion about how to approach The GN'R Reunion Album. Because you get one shot at it. That means the beast is tearing itself apart pulling in many different directions. It's a recipe for inertia.

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

Soundgarden.

Oh here we go, Soundgarden again. Look, I know you have a love affair with that band, but with the best will in the world, a Soundgarden reunion album is orders of magnitude less significant than a GN'R reunion album. GN'R is one of the iconic rock bands. They defined the look of the 80s, they were consistently dominating headlines throughout their 80s and 90s heyday. The only comparable thing I can think of is a Zeppelin reunion.

Or, wait, it's like comparing a fucking Herman's Hermits reunion to John Lennon and George Harrison digging themselves out of the ground and getting the Beatles back together.

The corresponding weight of expectation around a reunion album is orders of magnitude greater. Soundgarden could Just Get On With It because, well, their reunion is a nice-to-have, not a must-have. Everyone at the record company, and their mother, will have an opinion about how to approach The GN'R Reunion Album. Because you get one shot at it. That means the beast is tearing itself apart pulling in many different directions. It's a recipe for inertia.

The comparison is valid regardless of who was more popular.  One band recorded shit loads of new material...some while on tour....the other?

Nada.

One was hard at work digging through the vault to come up with box sets and deluxe editions.

The other?

Notice a pattern yet?

The amount of work put into it doesn't change whether one person is interested or a billion.

It's funny to see some of the Cornell hate from GNR fans.

Remember all that talk of three albums and tours we were gonna get over a few years back in 2001?

Cornell did that exact thing with Audioslave....in the same timeframe it was supposed to happen with new GNR.

Then with time to kill before the reunion he whipped up a few more solo projects.

This is what happens with artists/bands who really are prolific and can walk the walk.

Edit

I don't need "evidence" that the GNR reunion was successful. I'm not blind or stupid.

No one has ever denied its success.

James

James wrote:

BTW....this shouldn't even be an argument....most definitely not a dick measuring contest of tour grosses.

You want a prolific reunion...I gave an example of one.

When the final chapter is written, this reunion will be more like the Fleetwood Mac or Eagles reunion....

A live album and/or one final album.

Board footer