You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Will GNR release new music in 2021?

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I was listening to the instrumental to Sorry and I can't help but think Axl didn't deserve that band. They were too good to be subjected to the shit they had to endure.

He didn't deserve them.

They deserved someone like Chris Cornell or Lindsey Buckingham who not only sees the potential....but acts on it. Someone like that could've went on a 4-5 year run with the 2000-01 lineup....two or three albums.

That wasn't GNR ....it was a supergroup that essentially sat idle until it started falling apart piece by piece. It should've been treated like one and marketed as one.

By the time 2006-07 rolls around, it's just a shell of what it was.

I said it years ago.....

By the time 2002 rolled around and nothing was happening, they all should've bailed out and started their own project.

They were on fire those first few years.

Will Guns n’ Roses release new music in 2021?

Yes, Q1 0%
Yes, Q2 3%
Yes, Q3 20%
Yes, Q4 9%
No. I can’t do this shit anymore. 69%
Total votes: 35
slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

*if* Axl is still reading the forums, I'm sure he'll take this as another "he doesn't care about the fans" stuff. We're all well beyond that shit, it's really just sadness at all this time and wasted opportunities. He could always respond more in-depthly than he has, and not through 'certain' posters, but we know...

Would it be so time consuming for him to just post a simple sentence or two of what's going on in the band?  I mean every musician does this.  The mystery/silence shit gets old fast.  No ones is asking for long epic type updates or a gazillion tweets.  But just a nice progress update.

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I was listening to the instrumental to Sorry and I can't help but think Axl didn't deserve that band. They were too good to be subjected to the shit they had to endure.

He didn't deserve them.

They deserved someone like Chris Cornell or Lindsey Buckingham who not only sees the potential....but acts on it. Someone like that could've went on a 4-5 year run with the 2000-01 lineup....two or three albums.

That wasn't GNR ....it was a supergroup that essentially sat idle until it started falling apart piece by piece. It should've been treated like one and marketed as one.

By the time 2006-07 rolls around, it's just a shell of what it was.

I said it years ago.....

By the time 2002 rolled around and nothing was happening, they all should've bailed out and started their own project.

They were on fire those first few years.

His problem was that despite what he said, he was still hung up on the old band.  The supergroup he assembled became the minor project at some point.  If he wanted to shed the image/history of the 87-93 era, he should have fully embraced these guys.  I mean look at Slash.  He does VR, his solo stuff and devotes his full time and energy to these projects.  I know Axl had issues with the label and shit but most of the setlists from the aborted/disaster tours of the early 2000s were still majority AFD/Illusion/Lies setlists.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

misterID wrote:

There's no doubt in my mind there will be new music, I even think it'll be this year, perhaps Axl finally got the perfect Cookie Monster vocal for the chorus in Perhaps. Despite all the theories and pessimism, this is unfortunately just how Axl operates.

I think we'd have had new music from Axl a good few years ago were it not for the reunion. As soon as the record company suits got wind of the fact that there was even a possibility of it happening, it killed any chance of the 2010-era band releasing anything. And then came the NITL cycle; no point releasing new material when the very fact of the reunion will keep the money printer chugging away. And then there's all the time it takes for Axl to take essentially-completed songs and rework them with Slash and Duff, hash out which ones are to their taste, maybe even write new material 'cos they don't want to be exclusively dealing with Chinese leftovers…

Aaaaand then the pandemic hit. And yes, you can argue that bands like AC/DC released new material during lockdown, but GN'R is primarily a touring band, any new record would exist to promote the tour first and foremost, and if they can't tour, well…

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

We know Axl had been funding recording (or re-recording) up to before the Coachella rumblings, and had been in the studio. At this point, what he was saying publicly was that they were "negotiating" with the label to release "the second half of Chinese", and there's a good chance the label didn't want to. Once the reunion happened, Axl had all the leverage and a shit load of money. He could act like it was 1997 all over again. They officially released an AFD box set, not another GH. Pretty clear the label was going along with whatever the band wanted to do now. They played out the reunion far as they could take it, and were going to keep it going had it not been for covid. There were solid rumors Slash and Duff have been in the studio (re)recording for a new album -- Hard School was on a set list, and they're rehearsing it with a brand new intro. No way this was a coincidence. Hard School would have been a new single, imo.

To me, it's really clear they were preparing to release a new album in 2020, and that's completely ignoring Fernando confirming this.

Sky Dog wrote:

Best bet is all we get this year is a UYI 30 year anniversary Deluxe Edition and Super Deluxe edition. axl92

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Best bet is all we get this year is a UYI 30 year anniversary Deluxe Edition and Super Deluxe edition. axl92

We'll be lucky to get that.

I know everyone seems to shit on it but I want to hear that rough mix of the albums before we're all dead.

I also want that YCBM demo we've heard about for eons.  If it's high quality, we'll get a taste of what those certain UYI songs like YCBM, NR, and DC would've sounded like had they made the AFD tracklist.

This shit should've come out years ago.

Like I said in the 'What are you listening to?' thread, it's unfortunate that these bands like GNR, Metallica, Stones, REM, etc. weren't unloading all these goodies back in the day.

On REM's Automatic for the People deluxe edition, it has some songs in a similar state as GNR's Village Sessions.... instrumentals with scratch vocals.

I love hearing how certain songs progress....or getting alternate takes.

Tortilla_Man
 Rep: 1 

Tortilla_Man wrote:
James wrote:

I said it years ago.....

By the time 2002 rolled around and nothing was happening, they all should've bailed out and started their own project

A couple of them already did by then.

A Perfect Circle.

Sky Dog wrote:

Main one being Josh and Robin.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Tortilla_Man wrote:
James wrote:

I said it years ago.....

By the time 2002 rolled around and nothing was happening, they all should've bailed out and started their own project

A couple of them already did by then.

A Perfect Circle.

and that’s how all those Dan Monti-Buckethead projects came to be. That’s where they met.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

That's not due till late 2022 maybe 2023.

You can't expect the band to do something for the 30th year DURING the 30th year can you? 16

Box set includes a post card of the CD cover, a reproduction of a squiggle drawn by slash on an aeroplane napkin, a key ring with frank and melissa and a photocopy of a photocopy of the 1991 CD single cover of Civil War.

The expanded edition featuring an essay from Axl with a forward from DJ ashba on the appropriate use of the confederate flag and the bondage tit girl in 2022 was dropped after the label expressed concern that blaming the entire history of the band on slash could interfere with sales of Myles album.

Following an extended negotiation, we eventually get the purple box set version which doesn't end up using the cool artwork for an collectors edition that leaked in 2022, and in which all songs that were co-created by Izzy are withdrawn from the collection due to a dispute between Spotify, Izzy and Fernando. At the last minute Axl decided to swap out most of the Slash solos for the demo versions - Allegedly peformed in 1990 but clearly played through Slash's modern amp rig. Meanwhile Steven is pretty sure he didn't play those drums and matt was unavailable for comment but i'm sure it will be cleared up when Richard releaes his tell all book about the UYI recording process.

I preordered for $5000 but I'm confident the price will drop to $1800 or so before release date. Only real question is do i pay in USD or dodegcoin...

Board footer