You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

Sky Dog wrote:

Well, I give a shit. It’s too funny that the two songs are both Chinese outtakes written by a whole different band and are about all things from Axl “breakups” which  were so disruptive that one of our favorite bands has only released 16 original songs in 30 years.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Well, I give a shit. It’s too funny that the two songs are both Chinese outtakes written by a whole different band and are about all things from Axl “breakups” which  were so disruptive that one of our favorite bands has only released 16 original songs in 30 years.

I suppose they could come up with brand new material, but that would be ABSURD. 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Also…so, am I the only one who thinks it’s a little strange that Axl would want a blatant song about Seymour and a blatant song about Slash to be possibly the first two songs released from a reunion album?

Of course, those are my opinions as to who he wrote the songs about.

Aren't these his only options?

He wrote about very little else.

Kinda sad actually....late 90s-mid 00s such a chaotic period and he has nothing to say about it?

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Also…so, am I the only one who thinks it’s a little strange that Axl would want a blatant song about Seymour and a blatant song about Slash to be possibly the first two songs released from a reunion album?

Kinda sad actually....late 90s-mid 00s such a chaotic period and he has nothing to say about it?

To be fair, he once said that he was going to be a hermit forever until Beta dragged him back into doing music stuff. So he could have just gone down the path of zero music. Maybe that would have been a better result for the fans, who have been tortured by the Axl saga for 20+ years.

James

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

To be fair, he once said that he was going to be a hermit forever until Beta dragged him back into doing music stuff. So he could have just gone down the path of zero music. Maybe that would have been a better result for the fans, who have been tortured by the Axl saga for 20+ years.

He should've just admitted he lost his muse... especially after the first few years of the saga when nothing creative is coming from his end.

Either way....I'm glad this is finally happening.

The 20 year old vocals aren't going to be a deal breaker. It's all we were ever going to get.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:

The 20 year old vocals aren't going to be a deal breaker. It's all we were ever going to get.

I much rather have vocals from Axl in his late 30's or early 40's instead of brand new vocals of a damn near 60 year old Axl. But we also might get those geezer Axl vocals at some point, after the Chinese Leftovers album is released and he is willing to move on to something else.

James

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:

I much rather have vocals from Axl in his late 30's or early 40's instead of brand new vocals of a damn near 60 year old Axl. But we also might get those geezer Axl vocals at some point, after the Chinese Leftovers album is released and he is willing to move on to something else.

If they had a larger vault, we'd get a combination of the two. Jagger is doing it with Stones vault releases if songs need some touching up.

If GNR ever do any sort of deluxe edition of TSI, it may happen there. The band recorded Beer N A Cigarette and Down on the Street but Axl didn't do vocals.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

With how well Absurd is doing on word of mouth alone, no radio play, commercials or anything, Hard School (or Skool) has the potential of being a really, really huge hit.

That's my thought. They are setting pretty low expectations by going with a very industrial sounding tune. Then you launch Hard School and even the haters of Absurd will likely be way happier. I really like Slash & Duff's contributions on Absurd. I think they elevate the song, even if the song was never worthy of being saved in the first place. So I'm excited to see what Slash & Duff might be able to do for Hard School. That one has a lot of potential.

Definitely makes me appreciate Slash and Duff even more. I like the song musically now, still working my way around the vocals but it’s a definite improvement from Silkworms to me. Like many have said, the rushed lyrics at the beginning seem odd, but I guess that’s what they were going for.

I actually liked pretty much all of CD and still do. I was never one to pine for leaked tracks over the album versions, it was all fine for me. But listening to the improvement of Absurd, makes me wonder how much different (better) other songs might sound with the Slash/Duff effect.

Absurd is down to #34 now after the initial curiosity. I expect that trajectory will continue, but stay the course. Don’t overreact Team Brazil.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

In a bizarre way if it comes and goes it takes the pressure off everything having to be such a big deal.

I always got the sense there was this pressure around CD as a follow up to the monster hits of UYI, which became a pressure of can Axl still produce it without the others, then after there's this vibe of given how long CD took will he take that long again, which morphed into - what will the first Slash and Axl work in 30 years sound like.

I contrast that in my head with like the vibe around bands that put out stuff all the time, like metallica, or even like slash's solo career...people get excited and some of the records hit harder than others, but there's not this sense that if something doesn't work we should give up or this pressure that everything has to be so good that it reinvents existence for us all.

Obviously I want a new GNR record to go well...but yeah it's just nice to have the band functional to me....I can deal with not every song being a new YCBM in T2.

That said, I agree with Faldor - the elevation of Silkworms into Absurd makes you wonder what all of CD and the leaks would be like in studio form with Slash...be interesting to see what happens.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I wonder if there is a rerecorded CD album with Slash and Duff on it somewhere just waiting to be released on a box set or whatever later on.

Board footer