You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Taliban control of Afghanistan on the 20th Anniversary of 9/11

misterID wrote:

I really hate bringing Trump into this, but he wanted to pull out since 2016 and was talked out of it by generals and the intelligence community because of this very issue and the ramifications including Taiwan. He began negotiations with the Taliban per their advice to get out. The Taliban broke that agreement with what they were supposed to do, so that deal ended.

According to everything I've read, Biden was advised exactly how Trump was and didn't listen. Now he's saying he was hamstrung by Trump's deal, but the deal had already been broken, there was no deal to be tied to. And he'd already started breaking a bunch of Trump deals.

The way this is being spun is something else after four years of complaining Trump didn't listen to the experts or his Generals or intelligence agencies. There is no daylight between Trumpers and progressives. Biden admin were backlogged with civilians wanting out, so saying they *didn't* want out is a lie, and to blame them after swearing to them this wouldn't happen is pretty gross.

Everyone wanted out, it's how you get out. Btw, an American hasn't been killed there in 18 months. Thousands of Afghan military have been. Saying they didn't fight is also a lie.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

I really hate bringing Trump into this, but he wanted to pull out since 2016 and was talked out of it by generals and the intelligence community because of this very issue and the ramifications including Taiwan. He began negotiations with the Taliban per their advice to get out. The Taliban broke that agreement with what they were supposed to do, so that deal ended.

According to everything I've read, Biden was advised exactly how Trump was and didn't listen. Now he's saying he was hamstrung by Trump's deal, but the deal had already been broken, there was no deal to be tied to. And he'd already started breaking a bunch of Trump deals.

The way this is being spun is something else after four years of complaining Trump didn't listen to the experts or his Generals or intelligence agencies. There is no daylight between Trumpers and progressives. Biden admin were backlogged with civilians wanting out, so saying they *didn't* want out is a lie, and to blame them after swearing to them this wouldn't happen is pretty gross.

Everyone wanted out, it's how you get out. Btw, an American hasn't been killed there in 18 months. Thousands of Afghan military have been. Saying they didn't fight is also a lie.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

100%. 20 years of saying Afghanistan are partners and then sold them down the river, against all military and intelligence advice. All for optics.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

The amount of leftwing media sources trying to pin this on Trump is flabbergasting me.  Even arguing that his pullout would have been as bad or worse.  No effort to qualify any of it, just opining as if their statements are self evident.  I don't think anyone could predict the Taliban would gain ground so quickly, and the Afghani army owns its cowardice and inability to respond to insurgent ground forces. 

But knowing now that the Afghani Army was a complete joke, I don't see how the end result would have been any different.  Sure, maybe 5k troops staged in Kabul would have stopped the Taliban from entering, but it's just a waiting game at that point.  Same end result, just a matter of when the US pulls back and the Taliban enters.  Westerners have this false belief that everyone wants the same things they do.  If you mean comfort and personal safety, then yea that's human nature.  But if you mean a system of egalitarian values and meritocracy, that's a relatively new idea only created in the past few hundred years and implemented with varying degrees of success.  Biden was telling people America is worse off now than they were in the 1950s when it comes to egalitarianism.  So I don't know how you create an Afghanistan structured around a Constitutional Republic with a loyal and capable military willing to defend their government. 

I'm much more concerned about the tens of thousands of uneducated, illiterate Afghani's whose entire existence was in tribal Islam trying to be brought to the US by Biden.  I understand the heart strings, but their presence will result in rape, murder and terrorism to the American people.  It has with every other "refugee" group we've foolishly admitted because it looks good in a sound byte.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I mean, a good start would have been to listen to the people who said they did not have the capability to get our own people out. To the people who asked for more troops to secure the airport and more planes. Or, I don't know, hold off recalling intelligence and air support until we got everyone out. Or maybe wait until winter when the Taliban stopped fighting. But, you know, whatevs.

Being resettled doesn't mean they're automatically sent here. They go to Guam until it's sorted out.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

No one is turning into teenage girls...this is all in your own mind.

The only juvenile thing said in this thread is your post about balls.

I realize some of these discussions can get a tad heated...an understatement....but sometimes you need to let it go and not take it so personally.

An example...

Recently.. don't remember when...Flagg replied to you in a post. It wasn't mean, mocking,etc. The next time you replied to him, it was to get a dig in and start the bickering again.

Why not use an opening like that to hit the reset button and ease the tension?

No one is innocent in this....I'm just using this as an example.

Just because people disagree and have a lengthy history arguing doesn't mean it always has to be like this.

I mean...we can't have a discussion about Afghanistan without being labeled teenage girls?

Really?

Just be consistent in your analysis here James'...if you think my post was out of line, ok I accept that and I'll tone it down. BUT...you had one poster in this thread call Kamala a pussy and another calling Biden a coward. I'm not the only one who escalates.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

I realize some of these discussions can get a tad heated...an understatement....but sometimes you need to let it go and not take it so personally.

An example...

Recently.. don't remember when...Flagg replied to you in a post. It wasn't mean, mocking,etc. The next time you replied to him, it was to get a dig in and start the bickering again.

Just because people disagree and have a lengthy history arguing doesn't mean it always has to be like this.

I mean...we can't have a discussion about Afghanistan without being labeled teenage girls?

Really?

Just be consistent in your analysis here James'...if you think my post was out of line, ok I accept that and I'll tone it down. BUT...you had one poster in this thread call Kamala a pussy and another calling Biden a coward. I'm not the only one who escalates.

And you took that personally? How many times have you insulted Trump? I think everyone here insults politicians.

I know you don't always escalate...how about trying to deescalate for a change?

Also....

Not everything is an insult. This is a quirky cast of characters who've known one another a third of our lives. Like ID's post about Biden's statement being a Mitch response. Instead of steaming your bean, you should've laughed.

Sometimes if something is a dig, take it in stride. It might just be a witty comeback.

Like when Flagg and I would go a few rounds from time to time and he'd say something like "even those whose grandpas served in WWII".

Obviously that's directed at me...subtle yet direct. Half the time I would laugh...he usually had perfect timing with it and he usually was making a good point before or after the dig.

If I got pissed every time something like that was said, we'd be shitting up all these discussions going back and forth over it.

Like Michael says on that episode of Newhart....

Forget about it....Let it go....Try smiling!

lol

I've had a few blowups with people here and in some cases, went a little too far. You get over it and move past it.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James wrote:

Like when Flagg and I would go a few rounds from time to time and he'd say something like "even those whose grandpas served in WWII".

Obviously that's directed at me...subtle yet direct. Half the time I would laugh...he usually had perfect timing with it and he usually was making a good point before or after the dig.

Ha, I don't have any recollection of this.  Too much weed.  But I can only assume it was directed in the context of people arguing they inherit something because of their ancestors.  Whether that be wartime heroics or systemic injustice, my answer is still your experiences are your own.

Edit:  Found one post from 10 years ago:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/search.php? … 1126885438

Damn I'm a sage big_smile

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

An example...

Really?

And you took that personally? How many times have you insulted Trump? I think everyone here insults politicians.

I know you don't always escalate...how about trying to deescalate for a change?

Also....

Not everything is an insult. This is a quirky cast of characters who've known one another a third of our lives. Like ID's post about Biden's statement being a Mitch response. Instead of steaming your bean, you should've laughed.

Sometimes if something is a dig, take it in stride. It might just be a witty comeback.

If I got pissed every time something like that was said, we'd be shitting up all these discussions going back and forth over it.

Like Michael says on that episode of Newhart....

Forget about it....Let it go....Try smiling!

lol

I've had a few blowups with people here and in some cases, went a little too far. You get over it and move past it.

I didn't necessarily take it personally, I'm just saying there were some childish responses other than mine. However, point taken. If I'm being honest, it does seem like people are really taking shots at me. Maybe I'm interpreting this all wrong.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Mitch, I'm not taking shots at you, you've taken posts I've made that were never directed at you and made a really hostile response. It's hard to respond to that warmly.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
James wrote:

Ha, I don't have any recollection of this.  Too much weed.  But I can only assume it was directed in the context of people arguing they inherit something because of their ancestors.  Whether that be wartime heroics or systemic injustice, my answer is still your experiences are your own.

Edit:  Found one post from 10 years ago:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/search.php? … 1126885438

Damn I'm a sage big_smile

One post? I assume some of our old debates got lost in one of those crashes the forum had back then...the biggest one that time like 6-8 weeks of posts were sucked into the void.

Speaking of not remembering...

When I came back in 2016 I was browsing through some old GNR discussions and there was huge debates I have zero memory of...yet I'm smack dab in the middle of them writing 10-15 paragraph posts.

Crazy.

Some of my old rants would make a great "Say No to drugs" ad. lol

Board footer