You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Taliban control of Afghanistan on the 20th Anniversary of 9/11

misterID wrote:

I'll say Trump would have got people out before withdrawing. But he would say something stupid that steps on all the good he did, then he'd tweet something really stupid, and then double down every day to every reporter he could find.

Biden made a good point about helping the Afghanis who helped us, not those who didn't. Not everyone can become an American (obviously a different stance than at our boarder). If Trump were President the media would be KILLING HIM on this right now.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

I'll say Trump would have got people out before withdrawing. But he would say something stupid that steps on all the good he did, then he'd tweet something really stupid, and then double down every day to every reporter he could find.

Biden made a good point about helping the Afghanis who helped us, not those who didn't. Not everyone can become an American (obviously a different stance than at our boarder). If Trump were President the media would be KILLING HIM on this right now.

Do you think the scrutiny Trump was under had anything to do with that?  I'm inclined to agree if for no other reason than Trump's staff would be focused first and foremost of the potential optics of Americans being left behind enemy lines.  The fact that this happened tells me they didn't plan for shit, which I find absurd as the first priority in any kind of operation like this is to evacuate civilians.  That's military tactics 101 that are taught to any junior officer.

True Story:  When I was at ROTC camp to finish my evaluation before getting my commission, I drew the straw to lead the last patrol at the end of our 2 weeks in the field.  The scenario was we have civilian doctors in the region we had to secure and evacuate before launching our assault.  The person RPing the doctor was a little too averse to the extraction, and one of my junior leader simulated butt stroking him with his M16 and tying him up.  I almost lost my commission because someone else caused harm to a civilian who was our top priority.  It's that big of a deal and so ingrained into the process.  And this was in training land.  How this happened at the world stage at this level is beyond my understanding.

misterID

misterID wrote:

It's hard to say. They're saying the Biden administration nixed the Trump withdrawal plan early on, including abandoning the second airport. It could have simply been Biden higher ups thought they knew better than everyone else.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Uhoh.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

CNN had an “analysis” earlier that was titled “When did you last think of Afghanistan?”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/opinions … index.html

This organization along with many others earned their audience preaching fear and telling them that Trump would bring WW3. He ended ISIS and withdrew the bulk of American forces, leaving small contingents as we have in Iraq since 2011. He got 3 or 4 Arab nations to recognize Israel. He held talks with Kim and got the guy to quit shooting rockets over Japan. No one is talking about North Korean nukes. He negotiated a deal to stop combat operations with the Taliban, and set a time table for a full withdrawal.

The American media can’t hide what a collosal fuck up this is, but they’re bending over themselves to make excuses on how they’re not looking like fools for soft balling and singing praise of this administration. Even going so far as to tell us Afghanistan and this colossal fuck up don’t really matter, cause it’s just Afghanistan. It was already fucked, so botching a withdrawal and putting 10k Americans at the direct mercy of the Taliban, who we just learned Biden is engaged in daily negotiations with, isn’t worth much consideration, culpability, and accountability.

After the scrutiny and tone directed at the former President for his international relations, you have to be a real sycophant to not find issue with the current President and the direct danger he’s directly responsible for putting 10k+ of his citizens in.

To say this isn’t important or worth caring about…. Jesus Christ.

So what are you saying? We shouldn't have left? This should go on in perpetuity?

No, what I'm saying is what you're doing cartwheels to avoid addressing.  We should have gotten out of Afghanistan.  We could have even done it on Biden's timeline.  He just should have had a plan to secure/force citizens out of the country before pulling back.  It's not a hard problem to identify, but you're here to stir the pot and play sycophant to Biden.  Biden and Biden alone was responsible for the timeline, resources, and coordination to extract Americans and the few Afghan's who qualified for a special visa for years of work collaborating with the US.  He didn't account for any of that, and now 10-15k Americans are in direct danger of being slaughtered by the Taliban. 

I understand you can't have an intelligent discussion, and refuse to acknowledge any of your dear leader's short comings.  But 15k Americans are trapped between Taliban forces only because of a decision and plan made by Joe Biden.  No one else.

Please just leave the conversation.  You're not contributing anything, admitted you don't care, and refuse to get informed.  Find a thread you can post in.  Or better just tweet.

More histrionics....

I appreciate all the Wikipedia research you've done in the last 20 minutes....believe me, I do...

but I just disagree....

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan/Syria....it's all the same bullshit...slightly different details

Now pardon me while I go into deep research mode where I learn who the owns Osama's last robe....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Apparently our Secretary of Defense told Congress that Americans are being assaulted trying to get to the airport.

This is an outrage.

Since we aren't going to go get them, how do we even know who is doing it?

Taliban, pissed off citizens, foreigners?!? A combination?

Flagg brought up how the Taliban now have tons of checkpoints around the airport to keep a lid on this turning into Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Sounds like it may be a double edge sword. It's helping and hurting.

This is a clusterfuck of biblical proportions.

How are they justifying not going in to help Americans get to the airport while the British do everything in their power to get their people out?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

On Reddit a narrative is being crafted that the situation has dramatically improved and that's why the major media outlets have put it on the back burner.

This will get pushed so less people point out that they're not covering it as much now that the administration appears to be incompetent.

Social media is a weapon. They use specific people to push a narrative and that narrative requires a bunch of plebes and bots to spread it across the platforms. Within minutes or hours, propaganda has been swallowed hook, line, and sinker.

Then both sides battle in the Cyber trenches....

Then repeat cycle.

misterID

misterID wrote:

France is sending out their elite police to go out into the green zone and get their people too.

misterID

misterID wrote:

On Twitter progressives are saying Trump was right about the media lol

Board footer