You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

Sky Dog wrote:

What year is it? Gnr fans live in dog years!

Sky Dog wrote:

So, how does it feel to realize that this version of the band is really no different than the band in 2010….no new music…just a touring band that has a real deal lead guitarist. Sorry, the bass player is a wash. Tommy and Duff are cut out of the same cloth. Slash is the only difference outside of the obvious…money.

vipicius
 Rep: 6 

vipicius wrote:

I wanted to say ''unbelievable'', but the word has lost its meaning.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

So, how does it feel to realize that this version of the band is really no different than the band in 2010….no new music…just a touring band that has a real deal lead guitarist. Sorry, the bass player is a wash. Tommy and Duff are cut out of the same cloth. Slash is the only difference outside of the obvious…money.

Yeah, without Slash they are still playing half empty arenas in Oklahoma City. Slash back made them a stadium band. He wants new GNR more than anyone, only one person in the way

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

In a way I like them getting the older stuff finished and out there.

Like 99-2009 Axl has a more dynamic voice in terms of the tones and range he can get than what we'd get now I think.

But fun to hear now as well mind you, but it's silly to just bin hundreds of almost finished song concepts some with really good parts for no real reason.

My only gripes:  if they're taking old CD tracks and rebuilding everything but the drums and vocals - the first is that in some of the songs (Atlas) the whole song could use some extra parts so you might be forced to add drums - like that song needs and estranged style riff imo) - and the second is that I worry they rushed the recording sessions. Like what Slash/Richard play on the studio version of Absurd doesn't really capture how cool their solos were live...it feels like they just put something down one afternoon.

Anyways I can see why the revelation that they don't have a secret new album written last week ready to drop is depressing, but at the same time, there's still quite a lot of older material that can be given the slash/duff workover. So we can still look forward to something happening at least.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Merck said it in 2006. Axl had to find his muse in order to write music. Maybe she's filed a restraining order.

This whole thing is just running on inertia and cash. If we get "new" music it will be whatever Axl managed to record 15+ years ago.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Did Slash imply that nothing was done with GN’R? He implied that nothing new has been written, but that recording the old stuff is it’s own thing. Like as in, that will come out first before writing new songs. That isn’t necessarily bad, it just means that Axl wants that out first.

And maybe re-recording of the CD2 stuff is done?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah i think it does mean that.

I think it means for the foreseeable future releases will consist of older demos reworked by Slash and Duff, like hardskool and absurd are.

Given there's still some good melodies left that we've heard - perhaps, state of grace etc. I don't think it's really all that bad. Especially if you consider there might be others that didn't happen to leak.

In some ways I prefer it. Like 1999 Axl had a fire too him. He was emotional about the breakups and various other goings on that would lead to powerful peformances ala "There Was A Time". We've seen how Slash can revitalise some of this stuff.

Not that I would reject a current album either, but there's an argument to say maybe 2000 era problematic Axl had more to say artistically than the guys do now as multi-millionares with the world conquered.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

So he has confirmed once and for all what we all suspected - we are getting Chinese leftovers. The way he words it implies it's finished and there is a substantial amount that is it's own thing. We can hope for all new material one day but I think that is unlikely. CD2 with perhaps a few covers has always been the most likely and achievable route to a new album. I actually see this as quite positive - it all but confirms an album is in the chamber...

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Did Slash imply that nothing was done with GN’R? He implied that nothing new has been written, but that recording the old stuff is it’s own thing. Like as in, that will come out first before writing new songs. That isn’t necessarily bad, it just means that Axl wants that out first.

And maybe re-recording of the CD2 stuff is done?

Bingo. This is as about as close to confirmation of an album as we have had to date.

Board footer