You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

monkeychow wrote:

How many legs of this tour planned this year?

Sometimes they've done a leg, then made some small token setlist change to the subsequent legs (like a new cover or varying duffs song etc) - from memory didn't that happen with Absurd? Like we were doing our normal bitch that nothing had changed on year 5 of the reunion or whatever it was then Axl randomly was like "hey at midnight this will be on itunes" or whatever.

I grant...they may do nothing for the rest of our lives, but they're also a little tricky, I wouldn't be surprised if they do 5 shows to warm up then suddenly drop a single or something random.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Sometimes they've done a leg, then made some small token setlist change to the subsequent legs (like a new cover or varying duffs song etc) - from memory didn't that happen with Absurd? Like we were doing our normal bitch that nothing had changed on year 5 of the reunion or whatever it was then Axl randomly was like "hey at midnight this will be on itunes" or whatever.

I grant...they may do nothing for the rest of our lives, but they're also a little tricky, I wouldn't be surprised if they do 5 shows to warm up then suddenly drop a single or something random.

They don't have real management.

When it comes time to do something other than the guys playing Jungle onstage for the millionth time...the machine starts breaking down due to incompetence.

Anniversary projects 1-2 years late, merchandise that appears to be designed by 10 year olds, and releasing songs without physical products in stores.

So yeah....we could get a new song tossed willy nilly on Spotify a week from now....or we could wait another year for that same song.

Either option just as likely....which in a nutshell shows what is wrong in this dynamic.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I hear ya, the amount of lost opportunities is countless.

But I was happy to get Absurd and Hardschool streamed, agree it could have been done better for their own benifit and for the hardcores, but if they just keep doing the same thing every year or so I will take that over waiting another 15 years for a new song lol.

But yeah their haphazard nature makes it unpredictable. Like will they drop it at a logical point in the tour, or during a break from all touring, or some other illogical spot. Will they do a ton of promotion or none at all. I always lean towards less cos as you said they kinda roll like a hobby operation. But hey - it's Axl and Slash on the same song...they can serve it up to me however they want....I just wanna hear it these days before the band retires!

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I agree with everything but the physical release aspect. It would be ideal if they had those ducks in a row, but physical purchases of music these days are a niche. Who knows though, maybe they think that matters and that's why they delay. I don't see why every single released needs a physical version, especially in 2022 - even if there are delays in producing physical media it shouldn't block a digital release.

I can easily see the situation being Slash was told that was the plan for Summer and then for whatever reason (Cold feet, some delay with the process, stalling due to fighting with the label, some other typical CD era bullshit) it's changed and he now looks like a liar. I can't see why he would lie so when he said all that in January and February he must have thought he was telling the truth.

Who knows, maybe they release something and it then appears on the alts or maybe they release something but don't perform it. Doubt it.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

This tour doesn't even have a name. NITL is over and now they're just.... existing

James

James wrote:

I agree with everything but the physical release aspect. It would be ideal if they had those ducks in a row, but physical purchases of music these days are a niche. Who knows though, maybe they think that matters and that's why they delay. I don't see why every single released needs a physical version, especially in 2022 - even if there are delays in producing physical media it shouldn't block a digital release.

It isn't that you have to... it's that you should.

When releasing something.... whether it's a single, album, or box set....it should be available on all formats. Period.

In most cases with other bands/artists...it is. That's because other artists have legitimate management.

This is why GNR will never release something on Record Store Day. It requires planning. You gotta have that stock of vinyl available on a specific day.

I don't even think they could release something on an MP3 day. Like I mentioned above, the obvious cracks start showing anytime a competent decision needs to be made.

It's not a coincidence that the only time the past 20+ years they released an album was the small window in 2008 when they had a competent management team....and nothing but two songs and a badly timed and expensive box set released in the 14 years after that management team fired.

James

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

This tour doesn't even have a name. NITL is over and now they're just.... existing

This reinforces my point.

They initially floated promoting new legs with all new shows, set lists, whatever...but this was quickly dropped because they don't have a clue what they're doing.

So now it's just "Go to the show!"

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in the room with Slash and Duff at various times throughout the reunion.

They completely mishandled the 'Not In This Lifetime" slogan/concept.

This just begged to be the Hell Freezes Over of the 21st century. Instead of a huge release...they just ran it into the ground with diminishing returns until dropping it.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

This just begged to be the Hell Freezes Over of the 21st century. Instead of a huge release...they just ran it into the ground with diminishing returns until dropping it.

Yup, sooner or later they'll need to give this thing a jolt to keep going. Only so many times people will pay top dollar to see the same show. Either that or they will need start actually taking long gaps between touring to make people hungry to see them again.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Let’s be honest, the lack of a single would not matter, if Axl (that’s who we are talking about) didn’t fuck up those 500 other times .  Or if they didn’t treat the fanbase with contempt.

They aren’t even that well run for a “nostalgia tour” band.  Bands who have had major players die communicate and treat their bands with more respect with GNR.

The sad part is that Axl seems to not know or care (hard to say which) how bad “management “ is screwing this thing up.  All in the name of loyalty.  And yeah, I too wonder what Slash and Duff thought about management .  They probably fucked up countless times since 2016.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

He's fired all other legit management the band has had, so I don't think TB is the problem.

Board footer