You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

metallex78 wrote:

Wow, not as good as Frank? Is there a worse insult for a drummer?

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Not really. Frank ultimately is a very solid and competent session drummer, same as Fortus. On a technical level they are a lot more reliable than some ex GN'R members like Adler.

Issue is they sound a bit robotic and flat at times, whereas Steven's looseness is what gives him that style he has when playing the AFD songs. But flipside is these guys can reliably play a set of 20-25 songs on a 176 date tour and play them the exact same way with little to no mistakes every time.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axl S wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Not really. Frank ultimately is a very solid and competent session drummer, same as Fortus. On a technical level they are a lot more reliable than some ex GN'R members like Adler.

Issue is they sound a bit robotic and flat at times, whereas Steven's looseness is what gives him that style he has when playing the AFD songs. But flipside is these guys can reliably play a set of 20-25 songs on a 176 date tour and play them the exact same way with little to no mistakes every time.

Frank in his tenure with the band has gotten worse and worse over the years. There’s some footage from the last few tours where it sounds like a train wreck because his timing is so off.

I certainly don’t think he’s any better than having Adler or Sorum playing up there instead.

I’d go for Josh Freese if he was available. Now that would be a great drummer

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I do wish I could've heard the combo of Duff and Brain.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

To me it’s about seeing the band I fell in love with play one last time.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Frank in his tenure with the band has gotten worse and worse over the years.

Yeah i noticed that too, like when he first came he seemed to play in more of a hybrid of Adler/Matt's styles than he does now. He seemed a suitable fill in to play all that stuff and all the CD stuff a jack-of-all-trades kinda thing....and I guess he still does...but he never seemed to lock in well with Slash and Duff...

Like I prefer the reunion band to a 2012 band of course, but if you watch stuff like London 2012 the timing seems much better. Maybe it's something to do with the foldback or something I dunno - but they don't seem to be playing together as well.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
gavgnr wrote:

There’s so much we’ve missed out on. We all know what (or who) the underlying reason is

We missed out on a legitimate run in the 2000s.

I said it for years and I'll say it again....

The 2001-2007 run that Cornell had with Audioslave is exactly what should have happened with new GNR.

Album
Tour
Album
Tour
Album

Break up...maybe kill some time with either a solo project or simply a vacation, and wait for the perfect opportunity to kickstart the reunion. If it happens earlier in this timeline than it did(2015), it potentially becomes a viable creative band instead of being a pure nostalgia act.

The amount of material he had to work with would have allowed an early-mid 2000s run. If it kicks off properly in 2000-02, there's no incentives for band members to bail out so he likely would've had a stable lineup throughout the run.

The Bumble-Frank-Ashba years likely would not exist. Hell...it would already be over before 2009.

So much time was wasted. There's not just one huge chunk of wasted time like with some other bands....there's several.

IMO this is why we'll never get a proper documentary of the band's history. The black holes are too big and there's nothing to link them together.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Outside running his mouth in the press, the last I heard -- and I want to get this right, but I'm pretty sure Steven admitted it -- was when he joined the band live for a couple of songs a few years back, he pulled a stunt by refusing to leave the drum set until management basically made him. It embarrassed some people and pissed Axl off.

Hence why he hasn't been invited back.

Yeah and after this is when he did that interview where he shit on everyone in the GNR camp.

Unless there's some future Vegas residency with the AFD lineup or something of that magnitude, he's not coming back.

Plus, how much money do Axl, Duff, and Slash need if it means rekindling good old memories and helping out their ex-bandmates?

At what point can they simply be magnanimous toward those guys?

But why should it be so hard to get these guys for one or two shows, give them what they want in terms of money and then go back to the cash grab? From what I gathered the thing with Izzy fell through only because of the money. A couple of shows is probably all he's ready to commit to anyway.

It may be a bit similar to the Pink Floyd situation. There's just too much animosity, ego, and various things unknown to the fan base that prevents a genuine reunion from taking place.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I’d rather have Axl and Slash together with whoever, doing an extended run of shows together with dribs and drabs of old material coming out than what I feel would happen if they went with an AFD-5 reunion. I get that Team Brazil sucks but it just is what is.

Adler is Adler and I get (and think it’s obvious) why they don’t want him a permanent part. If you want to hold Izzy against Axl feel free, but he wrote with VR and never ended up playing with them. He played with Axl. I don’t know if Axl is to blame for that situation.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Izzy screws everybody over. He bailed on GNR, Ju Ju Hounds and New York Dolls. His nickname should be Mr. Unreliable.

Board footer