You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning I trailer

James wrote:

If anyone thought the whole Barbenheiner meme was a grass roots movement...think.again.

The next one is already being pushed...

#SawPatrol.... combining the coming Saw sequel with a kids movie.

Looks like this will be a huge aspect of promotion now.

James

James wrote:

Wow...MI had a 64% drop this weekend.

Not good.

I hope Cruise learned a very valuable lesson...

When you have a new movie in theaters with killer reviews, do NOT start promoting your competition, take photos of you holding tickets to see those movies, and recommend everyone go watch those movies.

He was probably hoping to piggyback on the Barbenheimer craze. ...but it was clearly a mistake.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It makes sense with the Barbie/Oppenheimer frenzy

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

Wow...MI had a 64% drop this weekend.

Not good.

I hope Cruise learned a very valuable lesson...

When you have a new movie in theaters with killer reviews, do NOT start promoting your competition, take photos of you holding tickets to see those movies, and recommend everyone go watch those movies.

He was probably hoping to piggyback on the Barbenheimer craze. ...but it was clearly a mistake.

It's got comparitively little to do with "promoting the competition," and everything to do with the fact that M:I was poorly scheduled. It was only in IMAX theatres for a week because Chris Nolan had a contractual lock on the screens:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/tom … imer-imax/

And where IMAX leads, the other main screens follow – so every cinema is riding the Barbenheimer hype wave, putting them in screens 1 and 2, and relegating Mission: Impossible to the b screens (or, in the case of smaller venues, simply not showing it).

With the wave of strikes hitting the industry, Cruise would've been much better off blinking and rescheduling Mission: Impossible for the upcoming fallow period when the cinemas don't have anything to show – except that there were massive sunk costs for marketing etc.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, the timing was bad. It all had to do with getting the jump on Oppenheimer with the IMAX screens

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, the timing was bad. It all had to do with getting the jump on Oppenheimer with the IMAX screens

Yeah – and as far as studios shifting release dates in response to the strikes goes, it looks like the big Dune sequel is going to be punted to 2024 now:

https://www.joblo.com/dune-part-two-release-delay/

James

James wrote:

I'll finally be going to see this. Not a moment too soon...looks like it will be leaving theaters in probably a week or two. My theater only has three showings now.

James

James wrote:

I saw it...and I'm pissed.

For starters...but I won't spoil who it is....a main character dies. 18 This wasn't necessary... although maybe it is with more focus being placed on new cast members.

It threw me for a loop.

The story takes awhile to properly get going...which shouldn't be the case in fast paced action films like this.

Some of the scenes/stunts are mind blowing...but it's just not enough anymore to keep me invested in the story.

I don't like the cast shakeup but on the other hand...these people are noticeably getting older. Luther just sits whenever he's onscreen.

I don't really want to spoil it since it's so new and you guys will probably watch it as soon as it hits the net.

I'll say this...I didn't like it nearly as much as the two previous films...and I might even rank Ghost Protocol ahead of it. Im gonna watch it again as soon as it leaks.

I know Cruise said he now wants to do these films until he's 80. It's time to wrap it up.

Part 2 next year better really kick some ass.

Oh yeah...the film is way too long. The train sequence went from mind blowing to ridiculous.

I still hate theaters. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting...only a handful of people at my showing....but the whole experience just isn't the same anymore. It's depressing inside the theater.  8 bucks for an Icee?!? 18 Fuck off.

I won't be going to see Oppenheimer.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Ok, I went and watched this today.

The main character that died was just kind of dumb on all fronts, logic and character wise.  I wasn't that invested in this character and it was pretty well forshadowed so it didn't bother me as much.

Good point on the story.  One of the weak points was the first 15-20 mins.  You know how most MI movies, they hit you in the face with some great opening sequence that gets you amped up for the rest of the thing?  This one nearly put me to sleep.  Honestly, maybe they should have started it off w/the airport sequence.  That was great and one of my favs of the entire film.  They finally got to the point of the story near the end, and I was wondering maybe they should have explained this earlier.

The main problem with this as you noted is the length of this thing.  You could easily trim off at least half and hour and lose nothing .  There are also waaay too many characters in this film.  Some of them are not neccesary at all.   Oh on the length, a good example here.  Did that car chase scene have to be that long?  It took them forever to get to "point B" of that thing and I swear it annoyed me.

Yeah, I noticed the age thing too, especially on Ving Rhames, Cruise, and Simon Pegg.  Funny you should mention Ghost Protocol.   I watched that in prep for this and that one flows waaay better than this one.  It has multiple storylines too but they do a way better job of just connecting them to the characters.  Since I mentioned it, Luther and Ethan still have a connection and it shows on screen in terms of understanding.  Just the one scene, where Luther is sort of psychoanalyzing him worked for me and made me glad that the character had a pretty big role in this film.

I thought the train sequence was ok in totality.  Honestly, this is another example of the damn thing going on too long and just not knowing where to end it.  They should have ended it at a certain point (to me), instead MORE STUFF happens and it just drags on past the expiration date.   That's my biggest gripe.  Damn thing needed an editor.  That scene at the bar where you have a bunch of characters talking/expositon was one of my least favorites.

I will say this about the new character.  I kind of like how they made Ethan play catch up and always be one chasing and one step behind.

Part II should be better because there are only 2-3 things that they should be focused on.  Oh, I'll add this I think the director missed out on what makes these films fun, chase scenes, evasion, improvisation, how to get yourself out of shitty situations.  They were there in this film but they were all scattered around and you had to get through all the other stuff.

Oh on the theater experience.  I never buy anything anymore, it's a grift.  To me it's basically a place where I go and lounge around (w/reclining seats) and watch a movie.  It's just so fucking sterile....and expensive.  I showed up late and still had to wait an extra 10 mins for the thing to finally start.

James

James wrote:

Should've watched Rogue Nation to prep...it really highlights the loss in this new MI. That character is amazing in that film.

I actually wouldn't mind an edited version of the film at some point. Fans may wind up doing it.

Crazy how they filmed enough train footage where they could make a 2 hour movie out of it.

Yeah it's really sad what theaters are now. The young people going have no idea what it's supposed to be like.

Board footer