You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: SOG single coming?

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Scabbie wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

Looks like it's Brain between Frank and Melissa in the soundcheck video. My guess is that they have kept his drum track on the studio version (obviously from a later version than the one on the Village discs, if it's Oklahoma) so he's been there to help them with the live arrangement (basically to show Frank how to play it). That is probably necessary as it's a more complex song than Absurd.

I would have thought a professional drummer should be able to pick up a gnr song. Not exactly difficult drumming

Agreed, Frank will have known these songs since he contributed parts to CD in 2007/2008 and any recording sessions since then. He's drummed professionally since 1988. Pretty sure he can learn the songs himself. Don't need Brain for that.

He may not have been allowed access to the vault. He was on a strictly need to know basis.

Hell....Fortus didn't even know basic details about certain songs in 2008 and he had been there for six years at that point.

James

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

It really says something about Frank's capabilities as a drummer if he needs his hand held to learn the song...at soundchecks!!

He should've had this nailed down long before the tour started.

Someone like Cameron, Freese, or Brain could learn that in their sleep.

On the other hand....

Criticism probably not warranted because it may be like with Bumblefoot where they don't even allow him to have the songs to learn and he has to learn them on the fly...

I think it’s silly to to go with this theory as fact. It’s a 20 second clip from far away and you can’t hear shit.

I know we're grasping at straws.... especially with the Brain thing. He may simply be there for Melissa...it could have nothing to do with the song.

I'm not even positive it's Oklahoma. It sounds like it...the outro
...with what little I can hear. It really is shit quality.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Scabbie wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

Looks like it's Brain between Frank and Melissa in the soundcheck video. My guess is that they have kept his drum track on the studio version (obviously from a later version than the one on the Village discs, if it's Oklahoma) so he's been there to help them with the live arrangement (basically to show Frank how to play it). That is probably necessary as it's a more complex song than Absurd.

I would have thought a professional drummer should be able to pick up a gnr song. Not exactly difficult drumming

Agreed, Frank will have known these songs since he contributed parts to CD in 2007/2008 and any recording sessions since then. He's drummed professionally since 1988. Pretty sure he can learn the songs himself. Don't need Brain for that.

I doubt Frank has worked on all the songs that were recorded with Brain. Actually Brain said that after he left, some more songs were "finished" with Frank. So I don't think Axl had Frank re-record all the tracks. I even doubt there were many band recording sessions after 2007. Drums and bass (and Dizzy's parts) were mostly finished before 2006, Bumblefoot recorded what he recorded in 2006/7, and then it was probably mainly Fortus recording on stuff, partially Frank, and probably Pitman adding synths etc.

It's also a bit weird that Brain would be present at soundcheck (and standing next to Frank), if he was there only for Melissa, and they're not even supposed to be dating anymore, but only working together - unless he's been there because he and Melissa have been working on something of their own.

Another - a bit far-fetched - scenario is that Frank is about to step down, maybe because of his recent marriage, so Brain is preparing to take over.

James

James wrote:

I even doubt there were many band recording sessions after 2007.

I agree.

Ron admitted that the 2009-14 lineup didn't do anything in the studio. Furthest they got was sending files back and forth to one another.

Edit

Maybe they should do things Doobie Brothers style and have both on drums. lol

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:

I even doubt there were many band recording sessions after 2007.

I agree.

Ron admitted that the 2009-14 lineup didn't do anything in the studio. Furthest they got was sending files back and forth to one another.

Edit

Maybe they should do things Doobie Brothers style and have both on drums. lol

Yeah, based on all the quotes from that period it doesn't seem that any more work was done on pre-existing material before 2014 (at least as far as band members were concerned, it's unknown what Axl was doing); after all, they were touring continuously. All they did was pass on ideas for new songs to each other without Axl getting involved.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Honestly I prefer Matt to Frank but lets not get silly...dude is able to play the drums....sure his style may not be our preference...but it's not like he had to get adler to teach him how to play jungle so he's not going to need brain to learn some other Chinese demo.

Unless there's something going on with him we don't understand like he secretly has a degenerative illness and is soldiering on or something I don't think he's being taught his instrument.

Brain has long been friends with the band, maybe he is there for some other purpose or side project they are working on on the side, maybe they're doing recording between shows and wanna use him for consistency or something? Maybe he was just in town and hanging out cos he's a muso too. Hard to know really.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

So someone on MyGNR is getting GN’R results when searching “se7en” but gets none when they search “seven”.

As far as I know that song has never been mentioned in relation to GNR with that spelling before. I also doubt if multiple users searching for it, would search it with that stylised misspelling.

James

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

So someone on MyGNR is getting GN’R results when searching “se7en” but gets none when they search “seven”.

As far as I know that song has never been mentioned in relation to GNR with that spelling before. I also doubt if multiple users searching for it, would search it with that stylised misspelling.

That's wacky.

Kinda fits with the spelling of Absurd and Hard School.

I've chalked this stuff up to the algorithm/fans uploading files but that is a quirky result.

James

James wrote:

One more thing about any potential release of Seven....

Can't wait to see if my hunch is correct that the final/polished version will include the Alan Shepard Freedom 7 clip that is on Devious Bastard.

I know it's a leap...but that would be some coincidence for  Devious to include a reference to Seven while there's also a separate song with the name.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think the last time they were in the studio during the CD era was in Las Vegas during the residency. The thing Ron always complained about was not writing new material, or everyone not getting into a room and writing new stuff (lol). There were definitely moments of inspiration for Axl and I’d say 98-99 and probably 03–04 were pretty significant. And whenever he took his trip to China to write lyrics.

Board footer