You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: SOG single coming?

metallex78 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Well it's been 4 months since hard skool...i gave them the benefit of the doubt for some reason lol

Hardskool and Absurd came out in 2021, that’s more than 4 months ago, that’s a year and 4 months ago…!

I’m talking about we were promised more new music in 2022, which eventuated to nothing but talk.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Well shit...my apologies smile

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Well shit...my apologies smile

In fairness, the last couple of years do kinda blur into one… lol

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Why is it so difficult?

Because they don't really give a shit either way.

An environment of...

Not giving a shit about new material

The hardcore base being irrelevant to them

Shit management

All add up to why things are the way they are.

Hell...they haven't even commented on the box set and that really needed some promotion! They were willing to let the best thing they've released in 30 years (Ritz video) fly under the radar buried on a box set.

That tells hardcore fans all they need to know about how they feel about releasing material.

It also tells us how the label feels about it.

Nobody but a shrinking by the day hardcore base cares about any of this.

If we're lucky....one or two songs are now out of their hands waiting to launch with the upcoming Euro tour.

If we get nothing by then.... it's over. Whatever "plan" they had got shit canned.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

In a way the toning down of expectations is probably a good thing, UYI was such an amazing follow up to AFD which of course is itself an amazing record that it blew expectations Chinese Democracy to almost absurdist levels.

I don't have to tell you guys we've all lived it for the past few decades, but I think that level of public excitement and pressure didn't sit well with the band.

If we turn every album into an event then at a certain point it takes decades to try and come up with something with the same impact, and the cruel truth is that even if you surpass yourself somehow and create your best stuff ever it's unlikely to catch on the same way because public taste is fickle, time moves on, and there's some kind of lightening in a bottle element to all this.

Know what I mean - like Axl could write a song called "Fred" and it might be the best song he's ever written. Better than SCOM, better than NR, better than Estranged....but even if it is....at this point even if Fred was a huge crossover hit and charted with the Taylor Swifts of this generation...he will still be known for NR and the 80s/90s in another 10 years anyway.

But I see this as a positive. It gives Axl room to experiment and play around. He doesn't need to write the best song ever written now - he's already done some of that lol - so they can just come up with whatever suits the mood - whatever will be fun for a few shows - and the casuals will keep paying the bills listening to NR and SCOM at shows....and the band can get it's rocks off with the little interludes where they do a Hardschool or an Absurd.

Bring on State of Grace I say...even the demo leak was cool...redone with Slash/Duff it will be very fun for us hardcores I recon.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

If we get nothing by then.... it's over. Whatever "plan" they had got shit canned.

Just curious, how many times over the past… 20 years have hardcore fans said "it's over" unless x happens?

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

Just curious, how many times over the past… 20 years have hardcore fans said "it's over" unless x happens?

And how many times have fans been right?

They haven't functioned as a creative unit in almost two decades...and in the case of Axl, Slash, and Duff, haven't functioned as a creative unit since Izzy was in the band!

The hardcore base survived on leaks.

We've now reached the point in the story where hardcore fans are sick of....

Following shows

The Scooby Doo sooper sekrit mystery act

Without new songs/album or a leak, there's nothing left to keep hardcores interested. They've dragged this out dangling a carrot for longer than the classic band was together. People are finally sick of it...and it's different than the doomsday predictions from yesteryear. No one is saying the band is over if they don't release an album by *insert date here*. They're saying their fandom is coming to an end.

Hell...I'd say most stuck around out of habit and liking the community... whether it be here, HTGTH, or mygnr.

James

James wrote:

In a way the toning down of expectations is probably a good thing, UYI was such an amazing follow up to AFD which of course is itself an amazing record that it blew expectations Chinese Democracy to almost absurdist levels.

I don't have to tell you guys we've all lived it for the past few decades, but I think that level of public excitement and pressure didn't sit well with the band.

If the excitement and pressure doesn't sit well with the band, why didn't they stop? They are the ones who talk about mind blowing and earth shattering epics....and they spend years(decades) dangling this carrot to keep the hardcore base interested while they do bait and switch with nostalgia tours.

We kept falling for it over and over... until now.

the cruel truth is that even if you surpass yourself somehow and create your best stuff ever it's unlikely to catch on the same way because public taste is fickle, time moves on, and there's some kind of lightening in a bottle element to all this.

Know what I mean - like Axl could write a song called "Fred" and it might be the best song he's ever written. Better than SCOM, better than NR, better than Estranged....but even if it is....at this point even if Fred was a huge crossover hit and charted with the Taylor Swifts of this generation...he will still be known for NR and the 80s/90s in another 10 years anyway.

The problem with this is the fact these lowered expectations/reality check don't move the needle in any direction. Everything is static....a holding pattern circling stadiums to bust out the hits Johnny and Jane to hear Jungle while posting Instagram/Twitter selfies.

Functioning bands like U2 and Metallica still release albums knowing they have no more Justice or Joshua albums in them.

The Rolling Stones... the most massive nostalgia act of all....has a new album coming!  They also have more new material in the 21st century than GNR... before taking the new album into consideration.

But I see this as a positive. It gives Axl room to experiment and play around. He doesn't need to write the best song ever written now - he's already done some of that lol - so they can just come up with whatever suits the mood

Again...this doesn't help in this situation because the needle never moves.

You're describing artists like Cornell...Bono...Vedder.....etc....not Axl.

Axl is much closer to one Hit wonders who tour but never create. Only difference is he has a lot of hits and a few iconic albums from 30+ years ago.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

It is what it is.  They don't function as a band that releases stuff and placates their (shrinking) hardcore fan base.  They are a for profit organization.  Even some of those has been 80s hair bands who had one or two hits have released new material lately.  Think about that for a minute.

What he (Axl) doesn't want to admit is that the creative well dry decades ago.  Releasing new "material" (and I'm using this term loosely and giving them the benefit of the doubt) is secondary to them, from getting more suckers (sorry, harsh here) to the concerts/shows.  I'm sure they have one or two songs mastered/finished that are new.  They just don't want to release it and it's been that way for a long time.  I'm not justifying their bullshit either.  I just have zero expectation of them releasing and/or functioning like a normal band.  This way I don't get disappointed when they inevitably when "deadlines" come and go.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I get why the band is incapable of writing and recording new material. I do find it hard to understand why they struggle to release songs that are ready to go. If they don't give a shit, then why not just let them go?

Board footer