You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

Re: AXL ROSE Negotiating For More Money Before Releasing 'Chinese Democrac

elmir wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

My guess is he is negotiating for money, I dunno why though,

because he "purposefully" lost the court case for GH....to get Uni to officially say that they were recouping their CD money off of it....so it could easily be that he is thinking that considering Uni got their "Axl investment" back...its time for a new deal...

or, it could also be that he only owes them one record...but he wants to flog 3...or even 4....at the same time....so he wishes to sell them all off at once, whereas Interscope may want only one of them, to meet their honoured clause in the contract....which again requires a whole new contract...

regardless of the situation...i think that its Axl who is again holding up the process, not the record company....the ball may be in their court....but he'll only play by his invented rules...which change every time a stronger wind comes around....meaning that if they don't....then he won't play at all....

depression...silence...hiding away.....say hello to all that...

all while CD is getting older....lets just hope that it ages as well as Appetite has....so when we get it in 10 years time....its still relevant...

Sky Dog wrote:

Pasnow, a common misconception is that Axl owes Geffen 13 million....that is not true at all. They invested that money at their own risk. The only way they can get their money back is to release the material and deduct the earnings from Axl's royalty account for these potential records. If the record company doesn't sell enough records out of all the material to cover the 13 million, they are shit out of luck. The only thing Axl really owes them are the tapes and masters if he has them. They belong to Geffen. However, even that is an issue now as Axl has paid for the recordings since 2004. What a fuckin mess.:haha:

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
elmir wrote:

or, it could also be that he only owes them one record...but he wants to flog 3...or even 4....at the same time....so he wishes to sell them all off at once, whereas Interscope may want only one of them, to meet their honoured clause in the contract....which again requires a whole new contract..

Good point.

Neither Axl or the label originally set off to make a trilogy. The label simply wanted an album, now Axl comes back after all these years to finally show off a concept that spans through three separate albums. He'd obviously like to ensure all the albums will see the light of day; in the worst case scenario, Uni would release the one contractually obligated album (provided Axl only owes them one), drops GNR from their roster and keeps all the other songs from the CD sessions in the vault. The songs were ultimately done in order to make ends meet, i.e. to deliver an album to Uni, whom therefore are the likely owners.

If Axl would go on with CD's release on a record deal that only requires one (or two) albums, his grand vision might end up falling flat on its face if the sales wouldn't soar in the current industry climate. Therefore he would obviously express his desire to release the trilogy in full.

madagas wrote:

The only thing Axl really owes them are the tapes and masters if he has them. They belong to Geffen. However, even that is an issue now as Axl has paid for the recordings since 2004. What a fuckin mess.:haha:

Interestingly, Merck & co. were rather adamant about all the substantial recordings dating between 2003-5. Therefore the tapes Axl owes include the album versions worked on with Sean Beavan and Roy Thomas Baker. The "finished" versions of the recordings might've been actually produced on his own dime completely, except for the Buckethead material.

Universal owns Bucket.

The idea that follows is that Buckethead will unquestionably be on the first album, given there is a total of three albums being prepared and that the current recording agreement requires atleast one new studio album. However, Axl has had enough time to figure out a contingency plan to extricate the Buckethead material from subsequent albums in case Uni would refuse to make a new deal in order to release them and would seize control over the '97-'03 recordings. In that case, Ron would likely replace Bucket on the following album(s), as he could do the work on Axl's money.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I don't think the record label not feeling able to market this to a mass mainstream audience in 2008 is necessarily a bad thing. I certainly don't think "Geffen can't get this on the air next to Rihanna" is indictive of the album's quality.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
elmir wrote:
dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

I have been saying along that CD is still not handed in.

bingo.

Agree here. Like I've been saying, if it's been handed in, we'd have had a leak by now.

Sky Dog wrote:

Personally, whether or not the label had the album was never my major concern. First things first, I wanted the Chinese Democracy sessions shut down. Sift through all the material, decide what you want to release, complete those tracks, mix, and master. Now, it does make sense that after all this time and money spent by both parties, if you have a lot of finished music, you don't just turn it all over to the label and say "do what you want"......any normal person would look to cut the best deal possible right now while maintaining some form of artistic control over how the music is released. So, good business sense will tell you Axl isn't going to relinquish the masters until his business issues are sorted out with the label.

Two different issues when you say "the record is done or recording is done" vs. "we gave the album to the label." Nobody in the band's camp has said we turned the album in to the label. They just said the recording is done and the album is done-"everybody knows that!"  Even if the record company listens to the proposed album or albums and says "we agree with your tracklisting and ideas 100%", it doesn't mean they will agree to release the record/s on Axl's financial terms. Make sense?:ummm:

I can believe it's not handed in, the only thing close to official is what Beta said, the album was finished by Christmas but she never said it was handed in.   

The merry go round continues.

Sky Dog wrote:

exactly.:beer: 17

and to take it further, when Mysteron said "the ball is in the label's court", that does NOT mean they necessarily have the album. That most likely means Axl made a business offer, and they are waiting on a counter offer from the label.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I have been kinda on the side that says the album is "done" but the label doesnt have it...i mean whats to negotiate if they already have the masters?

Sky Dog wrote:

true...the label has already proven they can release any masters they want without the artists permission under the current recording agreement (referring to the GH lawsuit obviously).

Board footer