You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Slash Says Guns N’ Roses Have a ‘Couple of Epic’ Songs to Release

FlashFlood wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I realised it when I went to the show the other night and causals near me were giving each other high fives when the hits came on.

Like songs they're basically guaranteed to play like nighttrain and SCOM and PC....but they're like "oh yeah, they played my song" and losing their shit like they just won powerball or bingo or something.

Like for every me that would get excited for twat or locomotive there's 1000 dudes in the audience who thank their lucky stars if they play November Rain. 16

This is so spot on and made me lol at powerball when SCOM hits. Perfect.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think the nature of GNR is the casual following is just so big it doesn't matter what we do. They will never exhaust the casual market before they get old and die.

Yeah...the hardcore base is definitely irrelevant now.

Having said that....this is also the case with other acts besides GNR.

During the CD years, the hardcore base was needed. We were the first and last line of defense. Any time something good or bad happened, they had to monitor the forums to see the pulse of the fan base. If a leak happened, instant feedback.

In the reunion era...all that matters is the casual fan and non-fans who go to shows. If they want any feedback, they look at social media...not forums.

This is why they abandoned the forums.

A band like Metallica still focuses on their hardcore base even though they don't really need them. It's one of the big differences between the two.

I wonder how many concert goers are there for anything BUT the music. When they hit a city near me last year, I noticed a lot of people I knew were going to the show, and I would say nobody was really a fan of the band. Maybe they like a few songs, but most popular bands can say that. I think they went just so they could be part of "the event".

You've described a majority of the audience at concerts for major acts.

The audience is 99.9% casual fans and people there for the event itself. These huge bands like Metallica, Stones, GNR, Fleetwood Mac, etc are not bands anymore...they are a "brand".

People go because it's GNR...they don't give a flying fuck about all the lineups or the history. They'll buy shitty merch by the truckload not knowing or caring that it's shitty merch. It says GNR...that's all that matters.

They want to hear Jungle or another huge hit while taking a selfie and post it on Instagram, Facebook, or TikTok so their friends/followers can see they went to the GNR show in town.

People like us are in the 0.1% of the crowd...and the number probably isn't even that high.

This is what concerts are in the 21st century...and it's not going to get better. It'll get worse...and the price will go up.

This reminds me of reading a post about a recent Skid Row concert. Some people in the crowd wondered where Baz was.

Baz hasn't been in the band since 1996....yet people bought tickets not knowing that. They just wanted to hear 18 & Life and I'll Remember You and pretend it's 1989 again for 5 minutes.

Then there's people who will go to a RATT show and the only song they know is Round and Round...

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

The Reunion Tour was from 2016 to 2019.
Good.
Then, after that, they were supposed to make a record and tour for the record.
The current Tour makes little sense.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

I think the nature of GNR is the casual following is just so big it doesn't matter what we do. They will never exhaust the casual market before they get old and die.

A band like Metallica still focuses on their hardcore base even though they don't really need them. It's one of the big differences between the two.

On the one hand I kind of agree that the broad audience is where the money is for GN'R. But on the other hand, saying they completely disregard the hardcore base is obviously untrue. They might not service it to the same extent that Metallica does, but a band that's aimed exclusively at milking the casuals wouldn't be doing three-hour sets with Slither and Sorry and Coma.

They could easily show up, grind through this setlist and fuck off to their hotel after an hour and a half, and take home the same paycheck.

It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
Live and Let Die
Estranged
Rocket Queen
You Could Be Mine
Civil War
Sweet Child o' Mine
November Rain
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Nightrain
Patience
Don't Cry
Paradise City

James

James wrote:

saying they completely disregard the hardcore base is obviously untrue. They might not service it to the same extent that Metallica does, but a band that's aimed exclusively at milking the casuals wouldn't be doing three-hour sets with Slither and Sorry and Coma

Fair point....

But you could easily make the case that lengthy concerts are simply "on brand" for GNR. They have been known for 3 hour shows for decades.

Having said that.... including songs like DTJ, Coma, etc definitely makes a show better for any hardcore fans in attendance.

I've been advocating for years shortening the set. It's unnecessary at this late stage of the game. It might also help save his voice if they plan on continuing touring long term.

That setlist you posted is pretty close to perfect. Just add  1-2 new songs (if they release them), maybe a couple more and it's ready to go.

It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
Live and Let Die
Attitude
Estranged
Rocket Queen
You Could Be Mine
Hard School
Civil War
Sweet Child o' Mine
November Rain
New song
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Nightrain
Patience
Don't Cry
Paradise City

Alternates:

Yesterdays
The Garden
Breakdown
Double Talking Jive
Coma
Move to the City
Reckless Life
Out Ta Get Me
My Michelle
You're Crazy
Raw Power
New Rose
Absurd

Enough alternates there to allow rotating set lists.

They could shorten their sets while still getting creative with it.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

The audience is 99.9% casual fans and people there for the event itself. These huge bands like Metallica, Stones, GNR, Fleetwood Mac, etc are not bands anymore...they are a "brand".

People go because it's GNR...they don't give a flying fuck about all the lineups or the history. They'll buy shitty merch by the truckload not knowing or caring that it's shitty merch. It says GNR...that's all that matters.

They want to hear Jungle or another huge hit while taking a selfie and post it on Instagram, Facebook, or TikTok so their friends/followers can see they went to the GNR show in town.

People like us are in the 0.1% of the crowd...and the number probably isn't even that high.

This is what concerts are in the 21st century...and it's not going to get better. It'll get worse...and the price will go up.

This reminds me of reading a post about a recent Skid Row concert. Some people in the crowd wondered where Baz was.

Baz hasn't been in the band since 1996....yet people bought tickets not knowing that. They just wanted to hear 18 & Life and I'll Remember You and pretend it's 1989 again for 5 minutes.

Then there's people who will go to a RATT show and the only song they know is Round and Round...

Reading this just depressed the shit out of me.  It's fucking true and I'm not surprised with the current "me generation".  But it just gives me of those, in the old days...people actually cared about the music/songs moment.

James

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Reading this just depressed the shit out of me.  It's fucking true and I'm not surprised with the current "me generation".  But it just gives me of those, in the old days...people actually cared about the music/songs moment.

I'm not sure exactly when concerts morphed into what they are now...but I noticed a change back in 2007 when I went to the Treasure Island festival to see M.I.A.

While the smartphone era hadn't kicked off yet, there was a sea of people holding their video/digital cameras during the show.

When her set ended, more than half the crowd left immediately. It was a sea of people heading to the buses. It wasn't about enjoying a festival...it was about seeing the new "IT girl" in music.

When I saw her in 2008...it was even worse. This was during the Paper Planes craze. I felt really uncomfortable there as well. I looked like a drugged up biker in a sea of hipsters. I stood out. I was actually a hardcore fan though...while 99% of the crowd only knew Paper Planes.

Back in our day, people would've been into all those songs

Our Buckethead show(2011) was similar. I guarantee all those hot young women were casual fans at best and couldn't name more than one song. Not meant to be sexist...the same was probably true of the guys.

My favorite memory of that show... other than finally getting to see him of course...is when we were standing in the long line outside the club. We had to get dosed up before the show so we got out our pill bottles and started taking a bunch of pills. When I looked up, everyone was staring at us.

Wish I had paid more attention to the crowd at the GNR show in 2017. I just zoned everyone out the best I could.

I'm just not into the concert experience anymore. The whole "let's hold our phones up for the whole show!!" thing really makes me sick and there's no escaping it anymore.

I also can't stand Live Nation/Ticketmaster anymore.

Couso
 Rep: 1 

Couso wrote:

An Insider has confirmed that one of the epic songs axl has ready to go is a reworked Elton John track dedicated to 45’s loss

Title is
“Goodbye Orange-Skinned Toad”

(I’ll get me coat)

Lelez95
 Rep: 0 

Lelez95 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Good and bad news.

If it's only a handful of songs, what happened to "the album" he was talking about earlier? Maybe they decided only those were good enough for release.

I'm not sure what to expect from "Epic". Would love for it to be Oklahoma, but maybe Slash thinks "Perhaps" is epic idk.

I can't find Oklahoma anywhere, is it around?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's curious what he might mean by "Epic" - does it mean they are long? Does it mean they are particularly good in his opinion compared to other songs? Does it mean they are grandiose ballads in nature like November Rain? Does it mean they are unusually structured for a song like Coma? Or does it just mean someone asked him about songs and he had to say something.

Board footer