You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

So that 96 album would have included:
This I Love
Oklahoma
Fall to Pieces
Back and Forth Again
The Rose Petalled Garden (BLS)

And maybe Hard School & Down By The Ocean? Am I forgetting anything?

To me the starting point is 5 O'clock Somewhere....

Those were the songs that Slash/Gilby wanted to put on the GNR record. What happened is one of those perspective issues. Slash's take is that Axl rejected them because he wanted to pursue an industrial sound. Axl's take is that Slash told him he had to sing them 'as is' and wasn't allowed to contribute. I suspect probably a bit of truth in both sides - Axl has said before he finds his process works best writing music around his melodies rather than being handed finished guitar tracks, so putting that with his then interest in electronic music might have been seen by Slash as rejection even if it wasn't intended as such. One can also understand Slash's perspective that he needed to get back on the road to get off drugs, the UYI recording had taken 2 years, and he just wasn't up for an extended hiatus of fucking around with them. The way its now been 15 year intervals between albums kinda makes his point. On the other hand when your singer is Axl, with Axl's talent, it's pretty stupid to tell him he doesn't get to contribute musically.

Anyways....whoever is right about it....I think it's fair to say in a more functional relationship...where Slash wasn't willing to take his riffs elsewhere, and where Axl was still hanging out with them contributing organically rather than keeping different hours and with different staff....I think....those riffs would have been the foundational rockers of the next album....and the songs you've mentioned would be the huge ballads....maybe Catcher too? I think it would have had a very UYI vibe.

With 30 years of hindsight....

They were both egomaniacs with a dose of megalomania in Axls corner getting high on their own supply.

There was zero urgency to get the GNR machine rolling again... regardless of Slash needing to be on the road. You're rich and live in a fucking mansion...boo hoo. If you can't handle sobriety in those conditions, you can't handle it on the road neither.

Neither one learned a single goddamn thing from the implosion of Pink Floyd and the near implosion of the Stones. Keith Richards even advised him(you never leave) and there was a shit ton they could've learned from Floyd...the guy who walks out doesn't get back in and the one holding the bag has to move forward alone...and neither Gilmour or Axl had the ambition to follow through.

Slash finally came back...but at what cost? Like Waters, he only has influence over the back catalog, merch, etc. 

A huge fucking mess...and it's the fans who lose the most. Entire albums will never exist thanks to their ego.

Sky Dog wrote:

True

soboro
 Rep: 1 

soboro wrote:

'94 Album

[Included in Slash's Snakepit]
Beggars & Hangers-On
Dime Store Rock ("Guns N' Roses" Pinball soundtracks)
Jizz Da Pit (Axl hates this song, calling it "Red Neck")
Be The Ball
Back And Forth Again (The Making Of Estranged)

[Songs submitted by Gilby to Axl but rejected]
Black
Tijuana Jail
Skin & Bones

[UYI outtakes]
This I Love
Ain't Goin' Down (Gilby's last recording)
Nightcrawler

'96 Album

"Jackie Chan" movie soundtrack
Oklahoma
This I Love
Fall To Pieces (earlyer sketch)
Nightcrawler (later became Speed Parade and included on Slash's Snakepit' second album)

[Songs from Duff and Izzy's session in '95]
Down By The Ocean (Axl requested this song from Izzy in '01)
Machine Gun
Toothpuller (Dizzy mentioned in an interview)
Tones At Head (West Arkeen song)

*Put You Back did not originate from this session, but was composed by Izzy during the production of Ju Ju Hounds' second album, which he later provided to Duff.
Similarly, Ridin' Home, which appears on Episode 1999 of Loaded, was also composed by Izzy and provided to Duff.

[Songs Izzy may have brought in]
Ocean (the song was later changed drastically and became Underground and Shall Walk on River)

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Then when you get to the 2000s you would get the piano +tobias formed CD songs along with contraband era rockers from slash.

Or if they'd had a mild fight for a shorter time, I think a 2005 reunion album would have included a lot of the Slash solo material like Ghost, Back From Cali etc.

The reality we live in is kinda messed up.

It hurts me sometimes to think we could have had 1990s slash on This I love and There was a time - which are probably some of Axl's best works ever, and we could have had  2006 era Axl on stuff like Wicked Stone and Anastasia.

I know Slash plays them these days, but he's playing a cover of the existing solos, I want to know what he would have composed for it. Imagine the outro to Anastasia Sydney 2010 with Axl....

As bad obsession would say, "Too bad you're fucked up" 10

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
soboro wrote:

[Songs Izzy may have brought in]
Ocean (the song was later changed drastically and became Underground and Shall Walk on River)

Burrn-1998.jpg

"There was a song that incorporated reggae in your previous work, did your tastes change?"
Izzy: "There were about two reggae-ish songs. One is called "Ocean". Even though I didn't get into it this time, I still like Bob Marley, and I'm not tired of it. When I was working on "Ocean" I changed the atmosphere and did a Black Sabbath-esque arrangement and had Slash play the guitar. But it's too dark and inconsistent. I recorded it but never finished it."

Ocean originates from the Ju Ju Hounds days but there is apparently a version with Slash on it izzy 21

Screenshot above was shared by TomokoStradlin on Twitter. They share loads of Izzy stuff from Japan (pics/interviews/etc) so worth a follow smile

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I want to hear that Back and Forth Again demo with Axl whistling.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

Then when you get to the 2000s you would get the piano +tobias formed CD songs along with contraband era rockers from slash.

Or if they'd had a mild fight for a shorter time, I think a 2005 reunion album would have included a lot of the Slash solo material like Ghost, Back From Cali etc.

The reality we live in is kinda messed up.

It hurts me sometimes to think we could have had 1990s slash on This I love and There was a time - which are probably some of Axl's best works ever, and we could have had  2006 era Axl on stuff like Wicked Stone and Anastasia.

I know Slash plays them these days, but he's playing a cover of the existing solos, I want to know what he would have composed for it. Imagine the outro to Anastasia Sydney 2010 with Axl....

As bad obsession would say, "Too bad you're fucked up" 10

2005/6 would've been an incredibly awkward time for a reunion. I mean, on the one hand you'd have Axl on 2006 peak form and Slash with his post-VR technical skills. On the other there's the massive Sword of Damocles that is Chinese Democracy hanging over proceedings. The record company would've wanted it re-recorded with Slash and Duff. Axl would've wanted to honour Buckethead and Finck's contributions. The whole mess would probably have resulted in the album being delayed again.

So yeah, we can fantasise about a world where we get a Chinese Democracy album fleshed out with tracks like By The Sword and Ghost, but the reality would probably have just been a five-year delay.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I want to hear that Back and Forth Again demo with Axl whistling.

The way he whistles over that guitar in the Making of Estranged doco, it could’ve been GN’Rs next Patience type of song. Shame it never turned out like that

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

2005/6 would've been an incredibly awkward time for a reunion. I mean, on the one hand you'd have Axl on 2006 peak form and Slash with his post-VR technical skills. On the other there's the massive Sword of Damocles that is Chinese Democracy hanging over proceedings. The record company would've wanted it re-recorded with Slash and Duff. Axl would've wanted to honour Buckethead and Finck's contributions. The whole mess would probably have resulted in the album being delayed again.

I think it would be the best time.

Axl seems ok with the Slash/Duff rearrange of Better and Hardskool, and he also seems ok re-recording Absurd and Perhaps (aside from a few notes) over the originals. I know he was keen to protect finks and bucket's work later on but he seems to have moved on now the reunion angst is cleared.

I also think a Slash/Duff CD would have been a superior album. Slash composing his own parts for those songs would have been far above the way he plays variations on the bucket solos these days - especially in 2005 when he was 6 albums less burnt out in terms of unique solos and riffs. As we've seen live Slash's rocky spin on stuff like the title track suits the songs.

Not only that but the mythical CD album coming out with Slash/Axl reunited would have gone over much better with the public, and indeed with the label - so we probably wouldn't have seen the fights and whatever drama that caused Axl to go back into silent mode in 2008.

So we might have even got a proper release and tour out of it. With a proper reception for that material I would speculate Axl's whole mindset would have been different. And then the band could have moved on to the best of the slash solo and conspirators riffs for follow up albums that we might even have.

Thank god the band is finally moving on getting out those locker-leak type songs. It's crazy that Axl's whole professional life has been haunted  by these 5 unfinished tracks or whatever it amounts to.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

On the other there's the massive Sword of Damocles that is Chinese Democracy hanging over proceedings. The record company would've wanted it re-recorded with Slash and Duff. Axl would've wanted to honour Buckethead and Finck's contributions. The whole mess would probably have resulted in the album being delayed again.

Knowing now what we didn't know then....

Rebooking the 2005-07 period could just as easily go the opposite direction.

A world with Slash and Duff back changes things dramatically.

Let's start with what was a cunt hair away from happening fall 05/spring 06...and definitely happens with them back....

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE: THE VERY BEST OF GUNS N' ROSES

Disc One

Jungle
Brownstone
SCOM
Civil War
14 Years
Used To Love Her
Out To Get Me
Down on the Farm
My Michelle
Coma
Move to the City (live)
November Rain
Nightrain
Live and Let Die
Don't Cry (demo)

Disc Two

It's So Easy
You Could Be Mine
KOHD (live)
Patience
Pretty Tied Up
Shadow of Your Love
Double Talking Jive
Locomotive
Dead Horse
You're Crazy (Lies)
Yesterdays
Estranged
Rocket Queen
Paradise City
Jungle (demo)

They tour 2006-08 in support of that set...with Shadow as the single. Might even get Cornshucker as a B side considering that odd Itunes release of the song in 2007.

This is where things get dicey....

The pressure is now gone. The hardcore base is begging for the album...but it can stay in a holding pattern. The label is happy...GH 2 is selling as well as the rest of the discography.

We've also got the big AFD anniversary coming in 2007. Here comes the box set.

Without any pressure to rush the album out, all incentive to bring in proper management is out the window. In other words, Azoff probably doesn't enter the equation.

Which means...it quickly morphs into present day GNR.

A potential Lies deluxe edition in 2008. PC/Cancel culture doesn't exist yet...this gets a release.

In 2011....hello UYI!!

They potentially start drip feeding us singles 10 years earlier than they did.

I understand the viewpoint of Slash and Duff marching in and quickly finishing CD....maybe even CD II...it sounds great...but it's a horrifically run organization, has been for decades,  and I can just as easily see it get mismanaged just like 2016-23.

Board footer