You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

James wrote:

Wacky.

Another notorious fake was My Favorite Pillow. Does anyone still have that? Dave, you still lurking around?

About half the fan base was convinced that was real.

Anyone remember that Dance the Night Away(VH cover) that supposedly came from an Axl rehearsal with Van Halen? That was semi-convincing.

One of my favorite fakes was that wacky clip that was supposed to be the intro to a GNR song. Rex figured out it was a clip from Sonic the Hedgehog. 16

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

I think i remember My Favorite Pillow yeah.
One I do remember is Free spirit rising that was by a band called Mama Mountin or something.
Hearts always get killed, Cock a roach soup, Today tommorow forever. Kerrang is to blame for a lot of them, they put those names in there mag in 1999 and of course in those days where else was there to get info from? You couldn't disproove it. Dont even think I was online until 2001

James

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Being a much better player he should be dominating.

In defense of bucket ....

He wasn't allowed to dominate. Due to the 3 guitarist thing happening due to Finck worming his way back in, Axls reluctance to fire someone, and the focus only being the same set of songs year after year, he was reduced to being a stunt player in a band he should've been THE  lead guitarist in.

Also take into consideration he essentially begged Axl to move forward and focus only on the CD era... which he clearly refused to do.

It's not surprising he bailed. He had no desire to be a traveling nostalgic jukebox.

I'd love to see the alternate timeline where Finck isn't allowed back after he bailed the first time and from 2000 forward....only guitarists are Bucket and Tobias.

This timeline would only be interesting if we got the albums 2001-03.

James

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

I think i remember My Favorite Pillow yeah.
One I do remember is Free spirit rising that was by a band called Mama Mountin or something.
Hearts always get killed, Cock a roach soup, Today tommorow forever. Kerrang is to blame for a lot of them, they put those names in there mag in 1999 and of course in those days where else was there to get info from? You couldn't disproove it. Dont even think I was online until 2001

That list reminded me of another one....

Zip It!

There were like 10 fakes of that on Limewire and Kazaa in the early 2000s.

Another song listed as GNR-Chinese Democracy was this song....

Quality wise....thats probably the best fake ever posted. Its a decent song.

Anxious Disease used to also get listed as being from Chinese Democracy. it probably fooled a fuck ton of casual fans back in the day because Axl is clearly on it.

That's a great song.

Edit

Great point on how the internet of 1990s-2000s allowed this stuff to flourish.

On the other hand...I preferred the internet back then before social media, smartphones, and corporations allowed it to become the monster it currently is.

Sky Dog wrote:

Bucket should have been Axl’s Randy Rhoads. A new guitar hero who could stand toe to toe with Slash but in a different way. Same shit with Iommi and Rhoads. Axl fucked up and paid for it.

Shacklermyrye

Limewire was not just riddled with fakes but also always had Every Rose Has It's Thorn & Cats In The Cradle listed as GN'R lol

Anxious Disease is a class tune but I prefer Walk On By. In 2001/2 I stumbled on a zip file of stuff that claimed to be GN'R & I later found out was Tobias demos, wish I still had it would be interesting to listen to. They were like unfinished Mank Rage songs I think

Shacklermyrye

Sky Dog wrote:

Bucket should have been Axl’s Randy Rhoads. A new guitar hero who could stand toe to toe with Slash but in a different way. Same shit with Iommi and Rhoads. Axl fucked up and paid for it.

Yeah that could of been great if he was. I get the comments about him not getting to shine, but the thing is with so many people involved I'm not sure any of them really got to. I mean there are songs on that album with 2 drummers on ffs.

Brain spoke about the plan being to have two drummers at some point in an interview around 4 years ago. If you remember the GMatter site video's from about 10 years ago, there was an animated stage design video on there which showed two drum kits on stage at the same time lol. I love the absurdity of the idea but fucking hell that would have been mad.

James

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Limewire was not just riddled with fakes but also always had Every Rose Has It's Thorn & Cats In The Cradle listed as GN'R lol

Anxious Disease is a class tune but I prefer Walk On By. In 2001/2 I stumbled on a zip file of stuff that claimed to be GN'R & I later found out was Tobias demos, wish I still had it would be interesting to listen to. They were like unfinished Mank Rage songs I think

I used to have those songs as well. Wasn't it a batch of 4-6 songs? I used to talk to the guy running the briefly active Mank Rage Myspace page in 2006 before they deleted it. I forgot his name.

I'm pretty sure this is when I found out Tobias was still involved in some capacity with GNR even though he had technically been gone for years. It helped fuel the so called "shadow lineups" concept.

I used to tease people who wrote down internet shit in notebooks....now I wish I had done the same.

James

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Yeah that could of been great if he was. I get the comments about him not getting to shine, but the thing is with so many people involved I'm not sure any of them really got to. I mean there are songs on that album with 2 drummers on ffs.

Brain spoke about the plan being to have two drummers at some point in an interview around 4 years ago. If you remember the GMatter site video's from about 10 years ago, there was an animated stage design video on there which showed two drum kits on stage at the same time lol. I love the absurdity of the idea but fucking hell that would have been mad.

Would've been wacky for sure....bur not unprecedented. Doobie Brothers had two drummers, at least for awhile.

Maybe he liked their set up and considered it for GNR?

The problem with GNR.... especially 21st century GNR... always boils down to this....

No matter how unconventional,  ambitious, etc an idea or concept is, it can and will never come to fruition because of the reluctance to ever work on something that's not from those original CD sessions 20-25 years ago.

Hell...even Tommy mentioned this in one of his interviews post-CD release.....how no matter what happened or who came onboard, it was always the same set of songs.

That doesn't inspire creativity or ambition...it stifles it.

Look at some of the solo material Bucket was working on 2000-04....some of that(especially Electric Tears) just begs to be brought to the GNR table. If it had, the instrumentals would currently be rotting in a vault.

Shacklermyrye

Yeah I think it was 5 or 6 tracks, I believe more finished mixed versions are on youtube now, I dont think Makes No Sense To Me was on there. there was at least one that sounded like a one guitar take with vocals from someone. Hell for all i know some of it could have been idea's for GN'R. You remember that Se7en fake with Bucket pike solo's all over it? Also a Zodiac fake with "Zodiac took me, Zodiac took you! over it? Right I gotta sleep

Right I gotta sleep, someone wake me up if The General or Dragon, or bloody Zip It! leaks

Board footer