You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

James wrote:

this time with no pyro and Axls shot voice

I had forgot about this...it's the same old song and dance...on a budget. Unfortunately the ticket prices don't reflect this. You pay even more for less of a show.

The shine has worn off of this shindig.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I had a good time at the show but I noticed a lot of the perks were less too.

For example the VIP pit in 2017, I got a GNR satchel bag of actual reasonable quality, I forget the precise contents but it was filled with the type of fan trickets they put in the AFD box, like postcards, picks, a type of memento book with a whole lot of glossy pictures, replicas of the bands original flyers and that kind of shit.

To be honest I didn't care cos I don't really collect that kinda stuff for bands, but I'll give them in the word of GNR where a lot of things seem to be made by the lowest bidder it was quality, like I came across it around my garage again the other week and noticed now nice the bag is.

But this time in 2022 that was gone, and we got a little tin box with like 2 guitar pics and some type of silver coin or something. Like I said I don't really care either way, I'm at the show for the show, and I'm VIP when I can afford it for the front row access not the toys, so I don't mind what nick nacks they put in...but if i'm being honest you could really see the production value of it seemed less. Or even if it actually cost them more or something the presentation was less. Was kinda like last time you get served in china and this time in paper cups. Like I'm the sorta guy that drinks in paper cups so I don't give a shit...but yeah...you could see it....when you couple that with the loss in pyro and smaller set up over all...you'd be forgiven for thinking they'd hit hard times and not that the tour reaped hundreds of millions....lol.

That said, as I said in my review at the time, I actually had a really solid night at my show, and while Axl's voice isn't what it was in his prime, as a band they were still a fun night out. I really hope we get more these Absurd/Hardschool style CD-reboots this tour though. Cos the 'fresher' stuff in the set like Reckless Life (I know its old but its not like it was a staple in the CD era) and Absurd and Hardschool were a lot of fun.

Sky Dog wrote:

Ha….not a pyro fan but the rest I feel the same

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

It’s new music this year or I’m checked out.

I saw them in Detroit.

No point in getting tickets with nothing to promote.

That’s how I see it.

Robert Plant, Lana del Rey, Richard Ashcroft, and the Rolling Stones (again) are on my list.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Jimmy Page just dropped his original demo for “The Rain Song.” Brilliant, tremendous, right out of the gate:

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/led-ze … he-seasons

If he releases this officially, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

If he can share unreleased music out of simple kindness toward fans, GNR sure can.

The more they make us wait, the more I find myself more interested in other bands.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I'm seeing them because, well, they're my favourite band. And the death of Taylor Hawkins really brought it home to me; I'd held off on seeing the Foos because, "eh, they'll be around in a couple of years with another album," and now I'm never going to get to see the iconic lineup even if the band continues. Likewise I peaced out on seeing GN'R play London in 2002 because "I'm sure they'll be back with the album in a year or so!" and lo and behold, I missed the one chance to see Buckethead play on UK shores.

So, yeah, I'm seeing GN'R on this tour even if they play the same setlist as they did last time (actually, given that Axl cut short the set on that occasion due to illness it's likely I'll get to see more of 'em this time). Because who knows when or if they'll be back?

James

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

The more they make us wait, the more I find myself more interested in other bands.

This is where I'm at in my fandom. I'm more interested in potential releases from Floyd,.Mac, Soundgarden, and the Stones.

3 of those bands are dormant...yet are more likely to release something.

I've also been checking out stuff I passed on years ago...like Tragically Hip, Ween, etc.

Metallica is the big one I'm following now due to 72 Seasons.

It's interesting watching GNR peers rolling out releases at this stage and the contrast is bat shit insane.

While not a big fan...look at the Chili Peppers. Two double albums!

I can also relate to 11day's point about seeing them before it's too late. Eventually it will be too late.

Unfortunately I can't go back on my no new music= no purchasing tickets. I'm no longer going to reward the bait and switch tactics they've used this century.

If they want my ass in a seat, release music like they said they would.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

New album????

James

James wrote:
Kikkoman80 wrote:

New album????

I no longer believe we're getting an album....a few songs tops.

It all boils down to what happens this summer.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:
Kikkoman80 wrote:

New album????

I no longer believe we're getting an album....a few songs tops.

It all boils down to what happens this summer.

I think we’ve got what we’re getting. Maybe a couple more songs. An album and all the effort that goes with it doesn’t move the needle for these guys nor their tours.

Board footer