You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

ClaudeF wrote:
Axl S wrote:

I just wish the band would release something unleaked. They complain that their shit keeps getting leaked before release - they're the ones who control whether this stuff comes out or not. Each day they let pass without releasing the unleaked material is a day closer to it eventually leaking one day.

I don't feel cheated though about them releasing things I've heard officially though. That's stupid.

This is so true. The only reason the band even has fans and glimmers of media interest anymore is that every few years we get a leak that excites us and the press.

Otherwise what is there to talk about!

The leakers have done the band’s test marketing. If a particular release does not do as well as expected, a follow-up might surpass expectations. The Beatles didn’t stop working when “Magical Mystery Tour” flopped compared to the previous movies. They kept releasing new music.

GnR apparently has at least an entire album with Axl vocals on it. Allow Duff and Slash to contribute songs and they can easily get two albums ready to go.

Just release something already.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I am curious how the songs I’ve heard sound with Slash though

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

ClaudeF wrote:
Axl S wrote:

I just wish the band would release something unleaked. They complain that their shit keeps getting leaked before release - they're the ones who control whether this stuff comes out or not. Each day they let pass without releasing the unleaked material is a day closer to it eventually leaking one day.

I don't feel cheated though about them releasing things I've heard officially though. That's stupid.

This is so true. The only reason the band even has fans and glimmers of media interest anymore is that every few years we get a leak that excites us and the press.

Otherwise what is there to talk about!

The leakers have done the band’s test marketing. If a particular release does not do as well as expected, a follow-up might surpass expectations. The Beatles didn’t stop working when “Magical Mystery Tour” flopped compared to the previous movies. They kept releasing new music.

GnR apparently has at least an entire album with Axl vocals on it. Allow Duff and Slash to contribute songs and they can easily get two albums ready to go.

Just release something already.

The reason they have fans is music from AFD an UYI era and for the older fans the nostalgia of hearing them, most fans have no idea about leaks at all. We are the small percentage, most fans have no idea what The General for example is

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I was gone a few days and hoping it would've been released by the time I came back.

If it doesn't come out within a week....Slash and Duff should just keep their mouths shut when it comes to anything GNR related. There's no reason at this point to rile up what's left of the hardcore base.

Count me in with the group who doesn't care how they release it...just make it quick.

Having said that...theyre crazy if they use the Absurd/Hard School strategy. That won't move many tickets. They need to actually promote it...and telling fans from the stage that it will be on Spotify at midnight is not promotion.

The Stones... nearing 80 years old...were in NY last week recording a video for their upcoming album. If they can do it...so can you.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

These 4+ songs that Slash confirmed they worked on would be more valuable as promotion for the tour as a complete package.

Piecemeal, with no interviews or promotion won't move the needle. Surprise releases can work, but they need to come with other promotional materials.

Sky Dog wrote:

Still waiting for Slash and Duff to show any form of impact on Axl in regards to new music. It’s worse than the Chinese era. All they have done is made an alternate take to 2 way average songs to begin with. They have done nothing.

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Still waiting for Slash and Duff to show any form of impact on Axl in regards to new music. It’s worse than the Chinese era. All they have done is made an alternate take to 2 way average songs to begin with. They have done nothing.

Axl lost his muse/mojo in the 2000s and it's never coming back. Too much time has passed and he's now in his 60s...and more than likely doesn't even care about new material. We're only going to get something because ticket sales are abysmal.

GNR also has horribly inept management and that makes the situation even worse than it should've been.

These 4+ songs that Slash confirmed they worked on would be more valuable as promotion for the tour as a complete package.

Piecemeal, with no interviews or promotion won't move the needle. Surprise releases can work, but they need to come with other promotional materials.

I agree...but are they even capable of releasing a genuine EP and everything that entails?

Slash said a few years ago that GNR doesn't know how to release an album in this environment. I don't think he's lying...and I believe he was being literal.

It's a management team with literally no experience at anything but following Axl around and pushing shitty merch.

It's also a management team that told hardcore fans ten years ago that you don't deserve an album.

I think that's why it's being dripped out one song at a time.... hitting Spotify and then months on end without physical product...and by the time that product gets made...no one cares anymore and they have to bundle them for free into fan club packages.

Anything more than that would be impossible and too confusing.

It's a fucked up situation.

Hell....look how the greatest thing the band had released in 30 years....the Ritz video....was handled.

They don't know what they are doing...and it shows. Fernando even admitted it during the Hard School rollout...and I believe him.

GNR is a touring jukebox machine that would fall apart without Live Nation doing the heavy lifting.

I pray for an EP or God willing a surprise release of a full length album...but we're not getting that.

We're going to be hella lucky to get one song...and even luckier to get a song after that.

Even though I have no desire...I'm tempted to buy tickets for the Sac show if they release Perhaps and The General. If ticket sales increase after song releases, it might cause them to release a couple more.

James

James wrote:

About Slash and Duff....

What can they realistically do in the current situation?!?

The lead singer/captain of the ship clearly has no desire to create anything new...and doesn't care about his 20+ years old songs.

His only interest is in touring...and it's probably for the same reason as 99% of the crowd....you get to pretend it's 1991 for a couple hours before the nostalgic dopamine wears off.

They can either accept it and keep millions flowing into their bank account...or quit and go back to solo shows in small clubs/arenas.

Unlike 1994-96...Axl doesn't give the tiniest of shits if they do solo material in between GNR tours. Why? Because there's no reason for them to save their best material.... because there's nothing to save it for.

This isn't like the Soundgarden reunion where Kim and Ben were walking into a situation where Cornell instantly wanted to start working on new material.

Laughably I originally thought it would be like the Soundgarden reunion....but I was dead wrong.

When Axl was asked about a new album in 2009-10 and his answer was "Don't know, don't care"....it was a huge red flag that went ignored so fans could pipe dream for an Ashba-Bumblefoot edition of Chinese Democracy....even with Bumblefoot admitting they worked on nothing after 2007.

He literally didn't care....and the year 2023 proves he wasn't lying.

Sky Dog wrote:

You are not wrong. I just like to laugh about the fact that all these hardcore fans really believed that Slash and Duff would wave their magic wand and “poof” Axl would miraculously change his stance on new music. Slash and Duff are no more than employees who are on the payroll just like all the Chinese riff raff!

The only difference is they make a lot more touring so they all make a lot more$$$. If I was Slash and Duff, I would be embarrassed to release Absurd and Hard Skool under the reunited Gnr brand.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

For me, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal releasing Absurd and Hardskool. I’m not getting finicky at this point. Playing CD and VR songs is kinda lame though.

Board footer