You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Could a different track list make Chinese democracy a better album?

Sky Dog wrote:
James wrote:

Most of the greatest albums ever are cohesive and have some form of unifying sound.

Fuckin' A....

Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
Rumours

Appetite
Who’s Next
OK Computer
Highway 61 Revisted
Exile on Main Street
Joshua Tree

List goes on and on

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Short and sweet, with the other albums to follow ASAP (omitting songs we have not heard in part or completed yet: “The General,” “Oklahoma,” etc.):

Chinese Democracy
TWAT
Better
Oh My God
Catcher in the Rye

Prostitute
The Blues
If the World
IRS
Madagascar

CD2:

Atlas Shrugged
Shackler’s Revenge
Scraped
Silkworms
Going Down

Rhiad & the Bedouins
Hardskool
Perhaps
This I Love
Sorry
As It Began

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Agreed that Scraped should’ve been left with scraps on the floor. Absolutely rubbish song with shitty cut and paste vocals. If that was one of their best, I’d hate to see what their worst was…

Shacklers though, that’s a killer track. They just need to remove the stupid elephant noises intro, to tighten it up a bit.

I actually really like Scraped 16

I’d have taken off Catcher and Sorry (save em for another album) and added an instrumental and Going Down.

1. Chinese Democracy
2. TWAT
3. Better
4. The Blues
5. IRS
6. Riad
7. Prostitute
8. Shacklers
9. Scraped
10. Instrumental
11. Going Down
12. This I Love
13. Madagascar
14. If The World

That’s how I listen to it

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Scraped Shacklers Sorry…look at the credits and there is some dude named Scaturro in there as well.

Bucket...Brain...Scaturro....the Giant Robot Production.

When we got the Village leaks, fans finally got a glimpse of the so called shadow lineups concept.

When listening to songs like Sorry, Dub Suplex, Prom Violence, Devious Bastard, and crap like Dummy, Realdoll, and Shackler, you're not listening to GNR....you're listening to songs, jams, and snippets brought to the table by Giant Robot.

You can probably place Zodiac 13 in this category as well. In fact...I'd wager my left nut on it.

Yeah even if the discs were not labeled you can tell that this disk is Bucket/Brain/Scaturro and this other disk is Stinson/Fink.

The only one that sounded like it could be hard to place main songwriter wise was Rebel, I remember Axl saying they tried to write songs in the "Old style" but that they didn't really work. Well Rebel has to be one of them, can see what they were going for but it sounds way to formulaic. RTB produced that one, there's a guy who must have some stories to tell

I forgot about Rebel.

They had some interesting stuff going on there briefly....D Tune, Curly Shuffle, etc....too bad they had to keep pasting crap over the same set of songs instead of expanding on the project.

Just listened to those Giant Robot songs for the first time in ages....

It's too out there for GNR. No surprise it never went anywhere.

Bucket is lucky to have gotten the credits he did get.

Short and sweet, with the other albums to follow ASAP

I've always been intrigued by Tommy's comments in 04-05 about it being a short album.

The track list was probably tinkered with off and on for years.

guts
 Rep: 1 

guts wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Scraped Shacklers Sorry…look at the credits and there is some dude named Scaturro in there as well.

When we got the Village leaks, fans finally got a glimpse of the so called shadow lineups concept.

When listening to songs like Sorry, Dub Suplex, Prom Violence, Devious Bastard, and crap like Dummy, Realdoll, and Shackler, you're not listening to GNR....you're listening to songs, jams, and snippets brought to the table by Giant Robot.

You can probably place Zodiac 13 in this category as well. In fact...I'd wager my left nut on it.

Add Moustache to the list of Giant Robot type tracks made during the CD sessions.

After listening to the instrumental demo for Soul Monster from the locker leaks again, I would consider it a Bucket track too.

One of the members from the CD era in an interview mentioned the second album being more electronic and industrial based, wonder if it wouldve been cohevise unlike the released version of CD.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

I've always been intrigued by Tommy's comments in 04-05 about it being a short album.

It would have avoided a lot of the complaints about it being bloated and overlong. Keep it streamlined. A sprinter of a record at a time when so many acts looked to fill a CD with 80 minutes of music, sometimes with crap.

By keeping it the duration of an LP — about 40 to 44 or so — they could have put their best foot forward and offered really great follow-up of similar duration in a year’s time. At that point the “new” lineup would have been in the public eye and established.

Sounds like Tommy had a great idea.

James

James wrote:
guts wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Add Moustache to the list of Giant Robot type tracks made during the CD sessions.

After listening to the instrumental demo for Soul Monster from the locker leaks again, I would consider it a Bucket track too.

I said that when the Village leaks happened...it wasn't a popular opinion. It made me wonder if I was wrong.

People like to think of it as either a Finck track or just a straight up GNR song.

The guitar work is too 'clean' to be Finck IMO...too smooth. The song doesn't have that Finckadelic sound. Besides...the rest of the music sounds like Bucket and Co. as well.

That instrumental would fit in with Electric Tears or Population Override.

Is there a later version of it that is GNR? Of course...it became Soul Monster.

We haven't heard it though.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

There’s enough for a solid album right now. Perhaps gives me a lot of hope of how Slash can put his own style on these songs, unlike TWAT and CD etc that just doesn’t feel like Slash.

I’m still baffled why they still do Slither

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
guts wrote:
James wrote:

I said that when the Village leaks happened...it wasn't a popular opinion. It made me wonder if I was wrong.

People like to think of it as either a Finck track or just a straight up GNR song.

The guitar work is too 'clean' to be Finck IMO...too smooth. The song doesn't have that Finckadelic sound. Besides...the rest of the music sounds like Bucket and Co. as well.

That instrumental would fit in with Electric Tears or Population Override.

Is there a later version of it that is GNR? Of course...it became Soul Monster.

We haven't heard it though.

I never understood why so many said Me And My Elvis couldn't be Bucket because of the timeline. Bucket joined around Christmas 1999, when Axl gave him the Leatherface doll. Given how prolific we know Bucket to be, is it really that strange he would have an instrumental completely ready to go by the end of March 2000? Not to mention, like you said, it could be something Bucket brought to GNR already finished.

James

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

It would have avoided a lot of the complaints about it being bloated and overlong. Keep it streamlined. A sprinter of a record at a time when so many acts looked to fill a CD with 80 minutes of music, sometimes with crap.

By keeping it the duration of an LP — about 40 to 44 or so — they could have put their best foot forward and offered really great follow-up of similar duration in a year’s time. At that point the “new” lineup would have been in the public eye and established.

Sounds like Tommy had a great idea.

Yeah...the compact disc era is littered with albums that could've potentially been masterpieces with fewer tracks.

The Stones a good example.... both Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge would've been better albums with around 4-5 less songs per album.

Bridges to Babylon should've been an EP....or just the 'Anybody Seen My Baby' single with a couple B sides.

I never understood why so many said Me And My Elvis couldn't be Bucket because of the timeline. Bucket joined around Christmas 1999, when Axl gave him the Leatherface doll. Given how prolific we know Bucket to be, is it really that strange he would have an instrumental completely ready to go by the end of March 2000? Not to mention, like you said, it could be something Bucket brought to GNR already finished.

Yeah he can whip up entire albums in a week...a handful of songs would've been no problem.

The guy who can whip up masterpieces like Colma and Electric Tears had no business being the damn stunt player in the band.

Board footer