You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Re: 2023 Tour Dates

Hey what is the intro song from the Not In This Lifetime tour?, appently it's from a film. 30 seconds in after the loony toons thing

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I used to love this band.

Now I just don't give a fuck.

Maybe that is what happens at 38.

It's just a big disappointment.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Hey what is the intro song from the Not In This Lifetime tour?, appently it's from a film. 30 seconds in after the loony toons thing

[/embed]

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

He should have experimented as a solo artist or named the band something different.

He was the David Gilmour of the 90s and 2000s. Had the band handed to him on a silver platter but didn't have the drive and  ambition to follow through with it.

At least Gilmour didn't dangle a carrot for 20 years to keep fans interested.

polluxlm wrote:

l

Trying to keep the band relevant is not a bad idea in itself. Oh My God is a good example of the initial direction of the band, and I don't think that song is a deal breaker for most old fans, while also pleasing younger fans and pushing the envelope of the GN'R sound.

The problem with Oh My God was the lack of follow through.

It was a wacky song to unveil a new version of GNR as we were headed to the 21st century. Wouldn't be the end of the world though.
He does an MTV interview mentioning the song, album, and Live Era, but allows the song to be buried on a soundtrack and doesn't actually promote the new lineup.

It was also the CD saga's first bait and switch. Fans got a live Jungle video when this new material was supposedly the top priority. He also talked more about the rerecording of Appetite to Loder than he did CD.

When OMG failed to cause mass snake dancing down the street....mainly because you had to watch the movie or buy the soundtrack to hear it, he walked the hype back and claimed it was a demo.

Like I was saying to Monkey earlier....too much talk, not enough action. He sabotaged his own band/project but everyone else gets the blame.

metallex78 wrote:

While CD certainly has its moments as an album, the lows on there are pretty bad and I find it difficult to listen all the way through these days.

I find it unlistenable. The cut and paste shit is too abrasive on most of the songs. It's why those singles weren't going to gain any traction on radio.

The two singles post-reunion suffer from this as well.

If going that route.... should've hired a better producer.

I've mentioned this before....

Should've hired Hugh Padgham to see if he could salvage it.

That killer song is a  Sting demo with Summers and Copeland pasted into it years later....yet it's as smooth as a prom.queen's thighs.

Another example....

Can anyone tell the difference between the music and vocals from the Badmotorfinger sessions and 2010?

No.

Sky Dog wrote:

At this point, I would just like the big 3 to stick to the material from 87-91….forget Chinese, Contraband, Glen Campbell, etc. If you’re not going to write something new together, just play the classic Guns songs, get paid, and go home.

This is my stance now too.

Stop trying to pretend 21st century GNR actually mattered. They know it doesn't...so just focus on 87-91 if we have to live in the past.

Edit

Scabbie is right.... Metallica is killing it on this tour. Some of the new songs sound better live than they do on the album.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

[/embed]

Thanks man, I should of recognized it was Harry Gregsonn Williams due to my love of Metal Gear Solid. I wanna mash it up with The General

James

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

[/embed]

Thanks man, I should of recognized it was Harry Gregsonn Williams due to my love of Metal Gear Solid. I wanna mash it up with The General

Stewart Copeland's Equalizer score from the 80s ain't too shabby.

When I first saw that link above, that's what I thought it was. Had forgot about the movie.

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:

Did GN'R ever release the London 1991 live bonus material that was supposed to come out before the tour?

James

James wrote:
Link31 wrote:

Did GN'R ever release the London 1991 live bonus material that was supposed to come out before the tour?

If you pay 50 bucks to join the GNR fan club, you get a disc with six songs from the London show.....and your surprise free gift is the Hardschool single.

Edit

large.jpg

Guns N' Roses: London 1991 includes never-released, newly-mixed songs from the Guns N' Roses iconic show at Wembley Stadium on 8/31/91.

Tracklist

Bad Obsession
Live And Let Die
Voodoo Child (Slight Return) / Civil War / Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
You Could Be Mine
Only Women Bleed / Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
Estranged

Guns N' Roses: London 1991 is only available to members of Nightrain who joined or renewed after 2/16/23 and redeemed their premium or standard packages on their USER PROFILE

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

The problem with Oh My God was the lack of follow through.

It was a wacky song to unveil a new version of GNR as we were headed to the 21st century. Wouldn't be the end of the world though.
He does an MTV interview mentioning the song, album, and Live Era, but allows the song to be buried on a soundtrack and doesn't actually promote the new lineup.

It was also the CD saga's first bait and switch. Fans got a live Jungle video when this new material was supposedly the top priority. He also talked more about the rerecording of Appetite to Loder than he did CD.

When OMG failed to cause mass snake dancing down the street....mainly because you had to watch the movie or buy the soundtrack to hear it, he walked the hype back and claimed it was a demo.

Like I was saying to Monkey earlier....too much talk, not enough action. He sabotaged his own band/project but everyone else gets the blame.

I think he half assed it also in the back of his mind he always felt that Slash would come back and rejoin at some point in the near future.  I think it was just a phase for him music wise, the techno stuff.  I don't think he could have went fully modern/industrial etc.  Most of the CD songs sound like Illusion-ish.  I don't think there was any intention to turn them into GNR for the 21st Century.  Or if it did, that thing died fast after OMG failed.  What's weird is that you have a few of his "comtemparies" (Metallica and Motley Crue) go in totally different directions in the late 90s and they still went back to their roots afterwards.

Metallica doesn't get tired of playing their old stuff because..gasp...they actually enjoy making and releasing new music.  Also they give a shit about their fanbase. Those things seem to be foreign to GNR.

James

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I think he half assed it also in the back of his mind he always felt that Slash would come back and rejoin at some point in the near future.

I think so too.

I've joked for years that he probably tried getting the old band back together more than he tried getting the album out.....but there's probably something to it.

He tried getting Izzy back several times...one right before Rio 2001...and of course his statement back then regarding Slash getting to come in and record 3 songs if he'd just apologize.

I think it was just a phase for him music wise, the techno stuff

Yep...dropped within two years...OMG never to be performed again while Silkworms went on a 20 year hiatus.

I don't think he could have went fully modern/industrial etc

While some artists are capable of reinventing themselves...Axl is not one of them... especially when it comes to diving into various genres to that extent.

Had he actually tried, I think he could've went solo and become Gen X's Rod Stewart in the 2000s...but I'm not even sure about this anymore.

He wasn't willing to put in the work and lay a proper foundation to get it going....whether that be as a solo artist, 21st century GNR, or trying to become the next Prodigy/NIN.

Funny when it comes to NIN...Finck left the band TWICE to run back to NIN!!

It's no wonder that Trent liked poking fun at  GNR/CD.

I don't think there was any intention to turn them into GNR for the 21st Century

I would've argued against this years ago...but fully agree now.

If we're moving everything forward and you've got this new band and sound, why in the fuck are you playing this?!?

Also take into account that the new "techno" stuff like OMG and Silkworms has been removed from their set for songs like this in their place.

They actually do a good job on it...but that's beside the point.

There's one point in the timeline where it might have happened....the spark to potentially ignite it anyways....

He really wanted the album out at this point in the timeline. It's finished...and the Village Sessions back this up.

The label should've just let him release the goddamn thing. It wouldn't have hurt anything. Its release would've opened up two possibilities....

1. It's a success...couple decent hits...decent album sales...and new GNR gets a run similar to Audioslave as we enter the 2000s. As we get closer to the end of the decade, he gets new GNR out of his system and is ready to move on(reunion).

2. Chinese Democracy is a huge bomb... briefly becomes a joke. People listen, laugh, and then move on. Axl moves on as well... opening the door to the obviously inevitable reunion.

The label benefits from either option.

Having said all that....if he truly wanted the record out in 2001.....why not go get an A list manager to negotiate its release?!?

What's weird is that you have a few of his "comtemparies" (Metallica and Motley Crue) go in totally different directions in the late 90s and they still went back to their roots afterwards.

You can look at their peers such as Metallica and U2 and see how GNR could've played out in an alternate timeline if everything doesn't go to shit in 95-96...

The quirky, industrial, techno album in 1997-98 that would get compared to what happened with U2-Pop and Metallica-Load...and then the recovery in the 2000s with their own 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'.

Metallica doesn't get tired of playing their old stuff because..gasp...they actually enjoy making and releasing new music

While I was not blown away by the new album, it definitely has some good stuff on it.

They're on fire here...

Board footer