You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The NFL 2008 Offseason Thread

PaSnow wrote:

I agree, in 5 seasons he's done very little to prove himself as a starter. Basically a 3rd stringer, but you can get them anywhere, even the 7th Rd. That way, draft 2 QB's & double their odds. I think Wash did this in 93 with Heath Shuler & Gus Frerotte & the Giants did it in 91. I forget their names but in both cases the 7th rounder ended up being the starter. Also, I know people think he'll be a bust, but if he's still there in the 3rd or 4th rd, Bears should look at Colt Brennan. Although, they may end up using a 1st or 2nd rd pick on a QB.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

HUGE mistake. They should have dumped him now while they had the perfect chance. They would be better off taking a chance on an undrafted rookie than keeping Grossman another year.

Sorry, I have to disagree James. I think a one-year deal is perfect. It provides incentive for him to actually play smart football. Especially when you consider the fact that...they have no other option. What difference does it make if the they draft someone in the 3rd or 7th round and throw him in vs starting Grossman.

The bears will never have a good offense. It's not where they spend they money. They spend their money on defense and try to make the offense just good enough to win. A quarterback will not thrive in any system where the model is just to patch it all together. It's a run first offense, and if they doesn't succeed, then how the hell are you supposed to pass for success?

The Bear's offense has been a joke forever. Even during the superbowl era, their passing offense was below average.

I don't understand why you wouldn't pick up Briggs' contract unless you expect him to not play well once he gets his huge money. Rosenhaus, you piece of shit!!!

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Nah keeping Grossman on a one year deal is not bad at all. If they land another QB in the draft or free agency, they can dump Grossman at the end of training camp/preseason, and it not hurt them one bit. Once they start trimming rosters before opening day, they can let him go. What this says to me is that Grossman and his camp didnt feel that there would be much of a market for him. The Bears had all the leverage.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

Well fellas, free agency has now begun! There is a lot of money out there, and not very many quality players available. There will be some ridiculus contracts given out to mediocre players. It may be best to take the Giants' route of last year, and sit the initial wave out, and see what becomes available on down the line.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

It may be best to take the Giants' route of last year, and sit the initial wave out, and see what becomes available on down the line.

That's actually the Eagles approach also, only it doesn't work out  as well for them. We just end up with a bunch of mediocre bums nobody else wants.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Eagles might be making a go at Asante Samuel. Man I hope he isn't just using the Birds to get a good deal with NE.

Samuel Visiting Eagles on Friday

ComcastSportsNet.com

It appears the Eagles are planning once again to deviate from their model and sign a high-profile free agent.

A league source has told Comcast SportsNet's Derrick Gunn that the Eagles have a deal in place with Patriots free-agent cornerback Asante Samuel.

Now, it's just a matter of finalizing it - which the Eagles failed to do two years ago when they lost center LeCharles Bentley to Cleveland.

Samuel, 27, is visiting the Eagles' practice facility on Friday.

Donovan McNabb has made a cry for more playmakers - and Samuel is one, albeit on the other side of the ball. The 5-foot-10, 185-pound five-year veteran had 22 career interceptions, three of which he returned for touchdowns.

The Eagles were not only last in the league last season with 19 takeaways but also the only team not to reach 20. They were also tied for last in the league with 11 interceptions.

Samuel would give the Eagles a secondary with three starter-quality cornerbacks - but whether all three can happily co-exist is another matter. Because the Eagles often play three cornerbacks, it would behoove them to keep all three.

If the Eagles had to move one - Sheldon Brown or Lito Sheppard - it would likely be Sheppard, given his purported dissatisfaction with his contract and his fragility.

A prolific playmaker when healthy, Sheppard was limited to only 10 games last season because of a sprained knee suffered in the season opener that hindered his play throughout the season. He has failed to play a full season since 2003.

Moving the hard-hitting Brown to safety is another option.

Samuel would be the first high-profile free agent to sign with the Eagles since defensive end Jevon Kearse in 2004. The Eagles signed Kearse to an eight-year, $62 million deal, which at the time made him the highest paid defensive end in league history.

Kearse was cut on Thursday.

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.co … p?ID=62946

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

Yeah it seems that Samuel is going to sign with Philly. But I dont really get why Philly would want him. He is more of a zone corner and that is what he has thrived in. Philly's defense plays an aggressive man defense. He might fit in okay, but it seems like a big risk for all that money.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Fuck it, we haven't signed a good Free agent since 2004 with TO & Javon Kearse. Neither played very long here at a high level. Freak had maybe 1 good year, then injuries & bad play. Stallworth was good, but only played 1 year & missed 4-5 games.

He will be getting a TON of money though, so it is a risk in that regard. They need to sign a playmaker though, and aside from Moss or trading for 85 or Larry Fitzgerald, there really isn't many other players to get. Might as well sign him. I still don't believe it until it's officially announced.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

that would suck for NE if they lost him...they back feild is pretty sparse aside from him

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

Yeah its being reported as being official. I dont have a link, but I believe Samuel to the Eagles is official. I understand wanting to make a splash but in the inflated market, you have to spend wisely. Asante will get a monster contract, and I dont think he fits the Jim Johnson defense. But who knows.

Giants have lost two linebackers already, Kawika Mitchell and Reggie Torbor. Mitchell signed with the Bills and Torbor with the Dolphins. Mitchell is a helluva player.

Board footer