You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The NFL 2008 Offseason Thread

James wrote:

The longest-running series on cable television is coming to an end, at least in its current form. HBO has announced that it is canceling the 31-year-old show Inside The NFL, meaning tonight's episode will be the last.

"Inside the NFL has been a hallmark program for three decades on HBO," HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg said in a statement. "It has been a terrific franchise ... but the television landscape has changed quite a bit over the last 30 years and we have to recognize the realities of the business. I'm not sure we had more than one competitor when the show launched."

When Greenburg says the television landscape has changed, that mostly means that football fans who want to see highlights have already seen them on ESPN or NFL Network long before they show up in the middle of the week on HBO. As good as the content of Inside the NFL is, it's just not necessary to show highlights of Sunday's games on Wednesday night.

But the NFL tells Multichannel News that the show will return on another network next year. No details were given, but the most likely scenario is the show, which has always been heavy on NFL Films footage, turning up on NFL Network.

NFL Network would probably not be able to afford host Bob Costas, however, so the show could come back in a significantly altered form. Tonight's show will mostly focus on the Super Bowl but will also feature a short retrospective of the series' history.

--------------------------------

Pretty fucked up. I loved this show when I was a kid, but haven't watched it in a few years.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Brady and Moss are both sitting out the Pro Bowl tommorrow

James

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Brady and Moss are both sitting out the Pro Bowl tommorrow

A lot of stars always sit out the Pro Bowl. The game is meaningless. I've always hated it. The Super Bowl should always be the last game of the season.

I have always wanted the NFL to scrap this game. If not, have it in the middle of the season, or during preseason.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I agree, the Pro Bowl is really a joke and it kind of takes some luster off of the REAL game of games...the Superbowl. It's pointless.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Pro Bowl is a joke. Nothing but a popularity contest. I heard on tv last night the possiblity of in the future of just doing away with the game, but still naming certain players Pro Bowlers every year. Not sure that I would oppose this.

James

James wrote:

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. - The Atlanta Falcons released four-time Pro Bowl tight end Alge Crumpler and six other players Friday in the first step of a major rebuilding job in the post-Michael Vick era.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Falcons also cut quarterback Byron Leftwich, defensive tackle Rod Coleman, offensive tackle Wayne Gandy, cornerback Lewis Sanders, wide receiver Jamin Elliott and linebacker Marcus Wilkins.

"This is a difficult day for the entire organization," said Thomas Dimitroff, the Falcons' new general manager. "A number of these players have contributed to this organization on and off the field at a high level, and we greatly appreciate their efforts."

None contributed more than Crumpler, one of the team's most respected players and a leader in the locker room. He twice led the Falcons in receptions and had a streak of four straight Pro Bowl appearances from 2003-06.

But Crumpler was plagued by knee problems this past season and dropped off to 44 receptions. Also, he counted $5.1 million against the salary cap for 2008, money the Falcons felt could be better spent elsewhere.

"These decisions weren't easy, but we felt they were necessary to build a team in the long-term best interest of the Falcons and its fans," Dimitroff said.

The Falcons also cut Coleman, who played sparingly in 2007 after injuring himself on a personal watercraft during the last offseason. Before that, he had been one of the NFL's most dominating interior linemen, making the Pro Bowl in 2005.

"As a football coach it is never easy to cut any player, especially veteran players who have been valuable members of the organization," said new coach Mike Smith, who was hired last month.

Leftwich was another player slowed by injuries. Cut by Jacksonville late in training camp, he signed with the Falcons after missing the first two weeks of the regular season. He was soon anointed the starter by then-coach Bobby Petrino, but played in only three games because of a perennially ailing ankle and other problems.

The 37-year-old Gandy started all 16 games for the Falcons in 2006, but made it through only five weeks last season before going down with a knee injury, the first major health issue of his career.

Sanders started six games in his only season with the Falcons, but was supplanted by rookie Chris Houston. Wilkins and Elliott were used sparingly.

The Falcons are retooling their roster after going 4-12 in 2007, a tumultuous season marred by the loss of Vick. The team's most prominent player pleaded guilty to federal dogfighting charges and received a prison sentence of nearly two years.

Petrino bolted for Arkansas with three games left in his debut season, and owner Arthur Blank further shook things up by taking away the GM duties from Rich McKay, who remains as team president.

The loss of Vick had severe implications on Atlanta's salary cap, especially when a federal judge ruled this month the team couldn't recover $16.5 million in bonuses. The NFL is appealing that decision.

From all indications, the shake-up isn't done. Veterans such as Warrick Dunn and Lawyer Milloy could become victims of the cap, though they weren't included in the original round of cuts.

Dimitroff wants to provide flexibility in the free-agent market, which begins Feb. 29.

James

James wrote:

Falcons entering a major rebuilding phase which will probably last for years. Several losing seasons should be expected. It had to be done though.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

wow...still though its not really a shock...they still sucked last year even with all those players anyway...might as well dump the salaries if ya cant compete....besides the teams was totally built around Vick...the had no choice

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

The bears released Muhammid in the last day or two and are thinking of going after marty booker, again. On top of that, they expect to release Berrian as well. This is so ridiculous. Marty Booker will be our first string guy? Sure he had success up here when he was first around but Marty Booker is a possession receiver...if we had Berrian and Booker...now that might be something to get excited about.

This of course assumes that Berrian would thrive in the number one role.

James

James wrote:

Releasing Muhammad wasn't the best choice, but that offense has to have a massive overhaul. I'm a bit surprised they started with him though. They need a new WR core, a better RB, a new QB, and shore up that O line a bit. In other words, they need everything. Defense is gonna start dropping in quality as well. It pains me to say it, but the Bears window has pretty much been closed. I know its the NFC and just about anything can happen, but that division is no longer as weak as it was a couple years ago.

Historically, the Bears only thrive in that division when its at an extremely weak point. Every other team needs a losing record for the Bears to gain any success. This was true even for that amazing mid/late 80's run. When even one team starts improving and making its own run(Lions in early 90's, Packers mid 90's, Vikings late 90's), it causes the Bears to go straight to the cellar of their division.

Right now we have the Packers one game away from the SB and a Vikings team on the verge of a run.

Bears aren't gonna do shit next season.

Board footer