You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: The Biggest Impact?

Gunslinger wrote:

We have heard about the album Chinese Democracy since the 90's, many of us anticipating this album before you could even scarecly find any info on the (then fairly new) internet about this project.  When the music from this fabled album finally started materializing there was much eager anticipation from we fans.  Different years have brought different goodies, some good, some better, some forgettable.  What music from the new band (2001 to present) made the biggest impact with you?...whether it be bad or good.

The first music I heard  from the "new GNR" was Oh My God back in 1999.  To say I was disappointed would be a huge understatement.

The next music I heard was in 2001 (the Vegas Show bootleg) with The Blues/Rhiad and Silk Worms.  This recording was only so so but The Blues was excellent and Riyadh had moments that was good, especially the guitar work.  Silk Worms left me hoping that this song was only filler from the experimental direction Axl was going earlier and would be the last of this. 

A couple of weeks later came RIR III and now we got to hear Chinese Democracy, The Blues and a song called Madagascar in soundboard quality!!  The Blues proved to be even better than I anticipated, Chinese Democracy was a good raw grungy-tainted rocker and Madagascar (while I never really got into this one) showed the effect one Mr. Buckethead could have on a song.  He was going to make the new lineup legend instead of laughable.  This wave of goodies had me more than interested. 

During 2002 it looked like the album was really gonna drop finally and the Guns were ready to cut loose!  The VMAs happened and shot the momentum.  Soon after everything went southward.

Things for the most part became stale until about a year later when a group of friends of mine claimed they had a clip of a song from the infamous Mike Trunk show.  Although the quality was not so good it proved to be true.  Some people don't like it but I.R.S. is still one of my favorite songs from the new guys.  Hope was restored, followed again by devastating silence.

Then finally 2006 came...studio-quality leaks!!  These leaks in my opinion came from Axl himself.  The way he handled the whole incident at the club (the Stereo) followed by the leaks it looked very much intentional.  Better/IRS/TWAT all in studio quality and some great songs.  Better was tied for my favorite new Guns track, along with the Blues now.  Catcher in the Rye (although partially leaked prior to this) also was exposed through some rather odd circumstances and again we had yet another great song. 
*(other versions of these same songs leaked but for post-length's sake I'll leave it at this for now).

In 2007 we finally got studio quality leaks of Chinese Democracy, The Blues and Madagascar.  Chinese Democracy was much better than my wildest dreams, The Blues was an obvious hit waiting to happen and Madagascar was still so-so to me.

The biggest impact for me would have to be 2006, although I never thought I would be more excited than in 2001/2002.  The leaks were studio quality and Better was the heavier stuff I had been hoping would come.  TWAT was brilliant although unfinished sounding and IRS was in excellent form.  Catcher was in full and thanks to a good member in the community got "remastered" and we had another great song to add to our own personal Chinese Democracy collection.  Then we were made a "promise" of 2006 being the year.  Things were looking positive.  We all know the rest of the story.

What exposure to the new music made the biggest impact for you?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I'd have to agree. The 'Better' leak in early 06. Followed by the VMA performace. The 2006 Tour also got me hyped. Everything else was just kindof repitition (other leaks, 07 tour, 02 tour kindof coattailed the VMA hype).

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

i got into gnr in 2003 if i remember correctly.(fortunately) i`m not one of the fans who have been waiting for this album for 15 years now, but 4-5 years is a pretty long time to wait for an album as well i think.

i became a fan when i listened to chinese democracy and the blues from vegas. i think they were up on mygnr for download. i also thought oh my god was a great track. seeing it from that perspective, i think those songs had the biggest impact on me....

anyways... in 2006 i went to the rock am ring show, being unsure about what to expect (a great show or a terribly bad one...), but it was fuckin amazing. madagascar and IRS were out of this world. the sound was perfect and the performace was outstanding, especially on madagascar! the dvd doesn`t do any justice to it and it doesn`t contain madagascar anyways..   madagascar at rock am ring was really one of the most beautiful moments of my life ( perhaps i should mention that i DO have a life, albeit it being a short one so far...:haha:)

the leaks are also great, but not what i`ve been waiting for all this time. the 2007 ones are badly mixed and the 2006 ones suck regarding the quality....  i remain hoping to be able to listen to the real deal one day...:thumbup:

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

OMG sucked in 99... i totally lost interest until 01 didnt care at all about gnr until...

01 RIR was amainzg to hear on a Bootleg
02 was also cool as a got to see Axl live finally

and i thought for sure the album would drop...and it didnt 17

then the tour desolved :wtf:

04 VR started and again my interest was peaked i joined my first gnr board (HTGTH)

06 axl came out of hiding and the first of the leaks then all the talk of the album and i got to see the band again but again the album didnt materialize 17 17

now i'm just addicted to the saga and its cool to talk with everyone here, i am not holding my breath for a release though i try to stay as possitive as i can

but for me i'd definately say that 2002 was the high point of this train wreck for me

the best leaks were the first 3 in 06...all others have not been nearly as exciting IMO

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

RIR, VMA's and the bootlegs of the CD, The Blues and Maddy were exciting to me no doubt but I would say the biggest impact for me was the studio leaks and when Axl and GNR returned with a vengence in 06.  Axl and GNR were mentioned in every Mag and internet article, the boards were going crazy and finally there was new information to talk about, the shows that I attended were great and Axl made his second appearance on the VMA's and I remember feeling so proud to see him walk out and do his introduction.   Even tho all fingers pointed to the albums long awaited release at that time and it didn't come to fruition, still I'd say that time of GNR impacted me the most.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I got into GN'R around 03-04, but didn't really care about the new band until '05. And then when I joined HTGTH it was mostly to bitch at people who actually believed CD would come out. I thought they were all idiots. I apologize to those I attacked in that time period. I was a noob, and an arrogant one at that.

Then the leaks hit in '06, and everything changed. ROV started up then too. Hearing Better, IRS, and TWAT for the first time was amazing. They were really, really good. At that point I began to dig back into news from 02 and found bootlegs of Maddy, CD, The Blues, Riyadh and Silk Worms. I was a little underwhelmed by that material, but The Blues sounded great and CD and Riyadh were alright.

The news of that tour, the RS report of a release date, I really bought into it and hat was my best time as a GN'R fan. Saw them in Cleveland the day after Thanksgiving and it wa the best concert I've ever been to.

Then 07 came and it all sort of faded away. The leaks were great but they didn't mean that an album was coming like they had in 06.

Now... well if it comes out that'll be great.

Sky Dog wrote:

Hands down Madagascar at Rio 2001....I thought I was gonna have a heart attack the first time I heard it. It was that good to me. At that point, it could not have described Axl's feelings and detachment over the past 6 years any better. I truly thought he was back and the album was coming soon. Personally, I don't like the way the song is played now as much as that first vesion. I hope there is a studio version similar to that with the more melodic guitar solo. Bucket just owns that tune when you actually see the video. Plus, Robin's licks are so soulful and are a perfect compliment to Bucket. Not sure what Axl and Huge are doing on guitar though....:laugh:

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

:peace:I must be one of the rare to absolutely LOVE Oh my God.

AtariLegend wrote:
the_real_jessica wrote:

:peace:I must be one of the rare to absolutely LOVE Oh my God.

You're not, I love it when that disco beat chorus kicks in....

Board footer