You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Guns n roses played the general

FlashFlood wrote:

Via slash on twitter:

Now that the GNR US tour has finally reached its conclusion, I want to thank everybody across the country who made this the best US run in the last 7 years since I've been back in the picture. It was incredible experience, that will never be forgotten, cheers!

I wonder what it was about this run that made it the best in his 7 years? The new tunes? Changing the set? Or just his road experience?

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Via slash on twitter:

Now that the GNR US tour has finally reached its conclusion, I want to thank everybody across the country who made this the best US run in the last 7 years since I've been back in the picture. It was incredible experience, that will never be forgotten, cheers!

I wonder what it was about this run that made it the best in his 7 years? The new tunes? Changing the set? Or just his road experience?

probably all of that

WLMusic
 Rep: 0 

WLMusic wrote:

The whole band seemed to be having a blast the two times I saw them on this run.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
WLMusic wrote:

The whole band seemed to be having a blast the two times I saw them on this run.

that is what happens when you play new music and change up the set list

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

I'd expect maybe close to two years off unless they get a big offer for a festival. But I doubt they will as they hit many of them this year anyway.

Another option is that this is it. It's grim to think about but a lot can happen in two years. Hell they could even fall out again at some point for all we know.

We'll get the 7" and that Schenker song next year. Maybe that was a chance to just get Axl and Slash to work on something and "See how it goes". I believe they will try to do an album of new material but I doubt it will come to pass, I hope I'm wrong.

There are positive's from this year. We got a high quality level Pro shot in Glastonbury that makes the Heaven & Hell fest look like it was shot with a potato. We got Perhaps and a music video for it. A setlist that had songs nobody saw coming, leaks of The General & also Monsters and they played The General live which is not something I think anyone would have guessed at the start of the year.

It's not all bad.... However it's not all good either. Many who moaned about his voice in the CD era now yearn for it. My interest as always is in the studio material & I hope we hear more of it..

No matter how it occurs.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I think it would be a good strategy to continue to release 1-2 songs every few months whilst there is downtime. Instead of waiting until halfway through another tour

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

I'd expect maybe close to two years off unless they get a big offer for a festival. But I doubt they will as they hit many of them this year anyway.

Another option is that this is it. It's grim to think about but a lot can happen in two years. Hell they could even fall out again at some point for all we know.

We'll get the 7" and that Schenker song next year. Maybe that was a chance to just get Axl and Slash to work on something and "See how it goes". I believe they will try to do an album of new material but I doubt it will come to pass, I hope I'm wrong.

There are positive's from this year. We got a high quality level Pro shot in Glastonbury that makes the Heaven & Hell fest look like it was shot with a potato. We got Perhaps and a music video for it. A setlist that had songs nobody saw coming, leaks of The General & also Monsters and they played The General live which is not something I think anyone would have guessed at the start of the year.

It's not all bad.... However it's not all good either. Many who moaned about his voice in the CD era now yearn for it. My interest as always is in the studio material & I hope we hear more of it..

No matter how it occurs.

Yeah it is scary as a hardcore fan....

qPlUSR.gif

We're officially at the start of a hiatus...how long unknown and they won't tell us...which likely means another silent chapter.

If/when they come back in 2025 or 26, it will probably be a farewell tour which will coincide with two major events...40 year anniversary of the band and then AFD.

A farewell tour is unlikely to require new songs to help push it along.

Something about The General coming out has a different feel than the other releases. I have a feeling they are wrapping up the CD era and they gave us the two songs most hardcore fans wanted the most.

Like you said, anything is possible but all we're probably getting next year is the Schenker track. Since they love doing anniversaries a year late, maybe something with TSI although that's unlikely.

Unfortunately I don't really care about reunion era live stuff so anything released on that front won't float my boat.

I would love for that UYI Remix to get a release.

I guess we just pray for another drip of the Chinese feed or leaks.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Personally what I'd prefer more than anything is leaks or boxset release of CD material with the musicians who actually wrote those songs. However, it's very possible we never hear that.

Failing that I'd really like them to continue with releasing Slash/Duff reworked CD era songs, preferably as a bigger release and not a dripfeed. The dripfeed approach is really old and boring.

Failing that.... give us something completely new. I personally dont think what these guys write and produce in their 60s will be that interesting so if what that Mayhue guy said about there being Appetite and UYI era songs that were never finished I'd prefer those.

Failing that... just release more proshots in good quality like the 91 Ritz.

Really though. I just wish they'd ditch the secrecy and silence. It's not cool or mysterious. It's annoying. They aren't the pinnacle of pop culture like they were in the early 90s and they don't have the mystique of the early CD years. You have an older fan base with disposable income, talk to them and give them things to buy that they want.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Personally what I'd prefer more than anything is leaks or boxset release of CD material with the musicians who actually wrote those songs. However, it's very possible we never hear that.

Failing that I'd really like them to continue with releasing Slash/Duff reworked CD era songs, preferably as a bigger release and not a dripfeed. The dripfeed approach is really old and boring.

Failing that.... give us something completely new. I personally dont think what these guys write and produce in their 60s will be that interesting so if what that Mayhue guy said about there being Appetite and UYI era songs that were never finished I'd prefer those.

Really though. I just wish they'd ditch the secrecy and silence. It's not cool or mysterious. It's annoying. They aren't the pinnacle of pop culture like they were in the early 90s and they don't have the mystique of the early CD years. You have an older fan base with disposable income, talk to them and give them things to buy that they want.

We will hear it but it will be after Axl is dead and Fernando cashes in all those songs for a huge box set pay day

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

The Scooby Doo sooper sekrit mystery crap should've ended the moment the album was released and/or when Ashba joined.

There was no longer anything mysterious or interesting about them at that point.

Unfortunately it somehow got wrapped up into their "brand". The UYI wait and everything surrounding it really was exciting and mysterious.

So were the early 2000s.

I think a big reason it continued into the 2010s is the fact that a supposed aura of "mystery" was the perfect disguise for incompetent management.

Management stayed the same with the reunion. Live Nation does the heavy lifting with the touring juggernaut...and what's left is handled by GNR management. Obviously what's left after the touring isn't much. 16

We're damn lucky we're even getting a semi-annual release of singles. It could have so easily not even happened at all. Instead of the near constant touring that ran interest completely into the ground, they could've went away for 2-3 years and ticket sales never drop to the point they need something out there to get media interest.

It could've easily just been toy trucks and touring....

Board footer