You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Tortilla_Man
 Rep: 1 

Re: The Last Rock Stars script

Tortilla_Man wrote:

Found this on Bad Apples Forum.
I see a lot of conspiracies as unconfirmed truth ,
So I found it interesting.

I have also always suspected
the David Geffen connect from the beginning

Other aspects of the theory or story here ,
were
mentioned by a not so close friend
while drinking in a bar many years ago.

I don't know what the truth is,
but I do know GNR led a "Charmed Life"
as a Recording Artist.
ex. Appetite For Destruction came out same month
as Faster Pussycat first album,
It may sound crazy now, but in the begining
the comparisons and talk of who was better were many 
In the summer of 1987

By 1988 GNR were Light Years ahead, 
and no coincidence considering Faster Pussycat didn't get even one single even promoted as much as It's So Easy , while that was just getting the feet wer for the money that would be spent promoting AFD into a Legendary Status

If not appropriate please delete it 

IMG-20231106-232815.jpg 
IMG-20231106-232843.jpg
IMG-20231106-232910.jpg
IMG-20231106-232936.jpg
IMG-20231106-233002.jpg
IMG-20231106-233025.jpg

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

I'm not sure I follow the Slash/David Geffen link? Anyone care to explain?

I remember Niven saying in an interview somewhere that they went to the UK because they knew the British tabloid newspapers would stir up controversy. They'd feed them stories (eg Axl killed his dog) which made them "the most dangerous band in the world" and used that free press in national papers to sell out tickets on the UK tour. They then went back to the USA as an international act that had sold out gigs overseas, making them more in demand back in the US. Something like that anyway, can't remember exactly.

I'd suspect Niven being the manager was the guy who knew that controversy sells and he used it to the bands advantage. And they've been using the same tactic ever since 16

Tortilla_Man
 Rep: 1 

Tortilla_Man wrote:
Will wrote:

I'm not sure I follow the Slash/David Geffen link? Anyone care to explain?

I remember Niven saying in an interview somewhere that they went to the UK because they knew the British tabloid newspapers would stir up controversy. They'd feed them stories (eg Axl killed his dog) which made them "the most dangerous band in the world" and used that free press in national papers to sell out tickets on the UK tour. They then went back to the USA as an international act that had sold out gigs overseas, making them more in demand back in the US. Something like that anyway, can't remember exactly.

I'd suspect Niven being the manager was the guy who knew that controversy sells and he used it to the bands advantage. And they've been using the same tactic ever since 16

Both of Slash's parents worked in Music Biz.
He was surrounded by Rock Stars at an early age.
His Mom dated David Bowie,
and David Geffen was a friend of the family that Slash knew since childhood.

It was always easy to consider the reasons that GNR were given such a favorable record deal and treated much different from their peers also on major record labels

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Slash's dad worked for David Geffen and he was known to the family.

(Confirmed by Slash here https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmaster … sh-hudson/)

So perhaps this did play a part in GNR getting the royal treatment at the label. Then again...there was a bit of competition to sign the band as I recall too, so maybe they just leveraged some good shit out of them.

Realistically you'd only have to hear 1980s Axl and Slash play together once to realise the incredible potential this group had, so while I'm sure much of the controversy was intentional marketing tactics, and while Slash comes from a showbusiness family, it's not like nepotism is really much of a factor in their success.

Click777
 Rep: 0 

Click777 wrote:

David Geffen left the Geffen Records label in 1995. This year there are serious differences between Axl and Slash. What a coincidence! Maybe the conflict between them is connected not only with creative differences, Tobias, but with the loss of Slash influence? Axl used Izzy as the foundation for the repertoire, used Slash and his connections, and then got rid of them. Or has someone turned Axl against everyone? In any case, today they work in different conditions and it is unclear on whose side the ball is in this pair

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

I think GN'R were much in demand in the early days, it was through them that Faster Pussycat got exposure to the record company's and they almost mucked up their musical presentation when record execs went too see them and sign them. I think Pussycat matured over time, the 1991 album was good, but by then grunge had taken over. It was expected that rock would evolve with bands like T ride and Saigon Kick, but it all disappeared quite quickly

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

It's an interesting proposition.

I remember hearing at one point there were rumours of discontent amongst the elite or established 'rock royalty' - concerning how GN'R ascended to the top table so quickly. They went from a scrappy club band to a stadium headliner pretty much overnight.

That said, the glaring difference between GN'R and the likes of Faster Pussycat and their ilk is simple. Sheer talent. They were simply the perfect blend of all of the genres of rock that had proceeded them and no-one put it together anywhere near as well. Couple that with a clutch of the most memorable rock songs ever written, iconic individual members and one of the most unique voices ever heard in mainstream music.

Board footer