You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Are/Were you a Scott Weiland/STP Fan?

Gunslinger wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I think the last two albums were extremely underrated, No. 4 specifically. 
I still don't own the 1st two though.

Many people write off No. 4 as being a sellout to try and regain the success of the first couple of albums but I would call it a return to their prime, the first two albums are the best STP you can get...pick 'em up.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

Many people write off No. 4 as being a sellout to try and regain the success of the first couple of albums but I would call it a return to their prime, the first two albums are the best STP you can get...pick 'em up.

Yeah, I totally agree, and know that, and have for a long time.  I just haven't gotten them, I'm not sure why to be honest.  It's just one of those things that I guess I don't normally think about when I'm standing in a record store.

***Actually, this conversation just got me bidding on them on ebay.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

Yeah, I totally agree, and know that, and have for a long time.  I just haven't gotten them, I'm not sure why to be honest.  It's just one of those things that I guess I don't normally think about when I'm standing in a record store.

Lol, good luck man...hope you get them cheap!

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Lol, good luck man...hope you get them cheap!

Thanks.  I actually just got Purple for a little under 4 and Core for a little over 5.  So I'm pretty happy with myself right now.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I admit I didn't own any STP albums until Scott joined VR, but since then I went back and bought all the albums and I'd say I'm a big fan of Scott for his work in STP rather than VR. Their last album is my favourite. The band really found their groove and there's a great mix of trippy rockers and ballads.

But after the recent VR Aussie tour cancellation my patience for Scott Weiland is wearing thin.
It's hard to support a guy who doesn't seem to care too much about himself or his fans.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

But after the recent VR Aussie tour cancellation my patience for Scott Weiland is wearing thin.
It's hard to support a guy who doesn't seem to care too much about himself or his fans.

And yet you're posting this on a GnR message board?! 16 17

Just kidding bro, sucks about the cancelled shows.

As for me, it took me a loooooong time to warm up to STP. Bascially, I didn't like them at all in the 90's. I still think they're ok, certainly not the upper echelon of 90's rock (AIC, PJ, Soundgarden, RHCP Nirvana). I warmed up to them around 00-01, just got to thinking, you know, for their longevity, and number of decent songs they've put out, I gotta give them a little credit. I always liked Interstate Love Song, and Sex Type thing. I think DeLeo is an underrated lead guitarist, and helped make that band. STP is one of those things you kinda had to live thru to understand all the "copycat" comparisons (Staley, Vedder). And I gotta agree with Aussie on the megaphone he uses, he bit that off Perry Farrell of Jane's, IMHO at least.

Anyway, a decent band, just not a top tier band. 2nd level, somewhere in between Rage & Offspring of 90's rock. Also, funny how Brits don't understand why STP is big here & Americans don't understand why Oasis is big there. They must be about equal in counterparts.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, I do see the irony there, as we get treated pretty much the same way being GN'R fans.

It's just fucked that the guys in VR who seem completely against all that shit (Slash, Duff, Matt, Dave) have to subject their fans to it because of their singer again.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, honestly I think they should just try with a 3rd singer. If the album tanks, just barely tour, or not even. I know what you saying though. In a way, maybe the band is a little too laid back & should be more assertive. Oh well, it's over now.

Board footer