You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Are/Were you a Scott Weiland/STP Fan?

Neemo wrote:

Just curious is all 19

of course i'm a long time fan

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Not really. I like Purple, but I don't see anything "genius" about Scott or STP. In fact, his lyrics in VR are like mediocre 8th grade poetry.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

well i guess you either like his lyrics or you don't but he's always wrote the same way

ie Plush lyrics....

and i feel that times a wasted go
so where ya going 'til tomorrow
and i see that these are lies to come
would you even care

pretty disjointed...i mean here is where he talks abotu what the song is actually about

"This is another one of those songs that Robert and I just came up with, before we actually had a record deal, when we were working across the street from one another. And the lyrics to this song were actally inspired by a true story. A girl, whose name I won't mention, was kidnapped and then later found tragically murdered back in the early part of the 90's, it sorta gave me fuel to write the words to the song. However, the song is not about that really, it is sort of a metaphor for a lost obsessive relationship. And I don't think anyone here has ever heard this song before." (March 8, 2000: VH1 Storytellers)

another person who writes pretty disjointed lyrics is Gavin ROssdale of Bush fame...once he said that every song he writes is about 4 or 5 different topics all rolled into a train of thought type of composition

anyway in a long round about way, what i'm trying to say is that i think his obscure lyrics are pretty cool...what his songs mean to me might have an entirely differnet meaning to someone else...i think thats pretty neat, lyrics that make your mind work

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

While I don't like obvious lyrics too much, Scott's are too disjointed for me to believe they make sense even to him. I think he (and I'm no fan of Bush's lyrics either) just write and if it fits the melody, he lets it go.

Roll over, right
Keep it through the night, right, right
Keep it through the night
Right in my sight, keep it through the night
I'll smash right through your spotlight

I just find that cringe-worthy, and that's the chorus of the lead single, no less. Anyways I don't mind Purple's lyrics so much, probably because I can't usually make out what the fuck he's saying and that's fine with me.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Longtime fan of both. My favorite STP albums are "Tiny Music...Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop" and "Shangri-La Dee Da," not always the most popular choices. I love Weiland's elastic vocals and glam-tastic stace presence. Also, I think "12 Bar Blues" is criminally underrated. Weiland is one of the best post-80s, big time rock 'n' roll frontmen.

STP is a good band from their era with some great songs.   But Weiland pales in comparison to other guys from his era like Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, even Eddie Vedder.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'll be honest...i'd heard the name Stone Temple Pilots but didn't know the songs except for maybe Interstate love song that i'd heard on the radio and then I didnt know who it was by. So when scott joined VR I checked them out and got into Core and Purple a bit.

My fave song so far is Sex Type Thing (that's a gem!) but also like Crackerman, Dead and Bloated, Plush, Wicked Garden and Meatplow.

I've been told a lot that the other albums are really different...will there be anything for a rocker like me on them?

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

they always had rocker songs on their albums...but not as much as the first disk

the band was pissed off to be compared to grunge bands, esp. pearl jam and they became much more diverse

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I can't name or reminisce any STP songs. Must be an American thing.

Board footer