You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Bach Interviewed on SmartAss Radio

BLS-Pride wrote:

A show about finding a girlfriend has nothing to do with the legacy of his band. That does not make his band relevant in todays music age. It makes him a reality star that people will forget as soon as the Rock of Loves stop airing. GNR isn't there either but they could be on the same level as if Metallica releases an album. I wasn't basing anything on the greatest hits either just saying GNR's one album is far more successful then Poison's numerous tries at a GH collection.(GNR's was released in 04 in the middle of the downloading age) Journey is a bigger name than both GNR and Poison. I don't see the connection there. Journey is played all over but so is GNR. Sports, Video Games, Radio, TV, etc etc more GNR than Poison. The last GNR tours minus 02 were pretty successful. Poison might release new material but it does it with minimal reaction to the mainstream America so where is the relevancy? If no one is buying it except for their own fan base than that is not being relevant. If GNR ever do release something it will sell based on the name and the album itself better than Poison releasing new material IMO. Both bands are past their prime, my main point is Guns N Roses has the ability and talent to make a bigger dent in the 21st century than Poison does.

Good or bad press his name is always in the media. What does that tell you? People are still interested and intrigued by Axl Rose. Good or bad. If there was no Rock of Love then this would be an easier argument.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Scarlett wrote:

The longer it takes to get this CD out, the more chances of it being unsuccessful.

I agree to a certain extent, but i also think that part of the reason for it being less and less sucessful is that the downloading of music is so insane these days...then you get the fans that have become so jaded that they will not buy it out of general principle...they will get it, just not legally...I wouldnt doubt that the wait we are experiencing at the moment is because the industry is in such turmoil...they are going to have to do something create to sell this thing...just being Axl Rose isnt enough these days

IMO gnr missed the boat in the 2002-04 time period...it would have easily went platinum 4-5 years ago, now gold will be an acheivement to be proud of...and it has nothing to do with the quality of the material

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Pride&Glory wrote:

Well they would have had to been more successful if GNR was "silent". Im not knocking them cause they are one of two hair bands too actually survive and been able to live off their music. The other being Bon Jovi so respect is due but too call them more relevant I can't agree with. Even with no albums and a few tours GNR is still more relevant than Poison because of the the quality of music made by Guns.

Highlighted the key word.  The GnR we all knew and most of us loved no longer exists.  The "current" (if you can call it that) lineup hasn't accomplished a thing and no lineup has accomplished anything since 1994.

That's why I said "made". That music is still more relevant today's youth than Poison. And that is what being relevant is. Being able to stay fresh to the younger generations and GNR despite not releasing an album since 1994 and touring here and there are still a bigger name in the eyes of 21st century youth.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Pride&Glory wrote:

they could be on the same level as if Metallica releases an album.

metallica's album along with Eminem's and U2's will definately be albums to watch to see what kind of sales figures can still be generated

but foo fighters...one of the biggest, if not the biggest rock artist at the moment, their newest album was finally certified gold in December, 2 and a half months after being released ...that is crazy sad

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Pride&Glory wrote:

they could be on the same level as if Metallica releases an album.

metallica's album along with Eminem's and U2's will definately be albums to watch to see what kind of sales figures can still be generated

but foo fighters...one of the biggest, if not the biggest rock artist at the moment, their newest album was finally certified gold in December 2 and a half months after beinf released ...that is crazy sad

They may be one the it bands in Hard Rock but too be able to sell records you need an established name. Like a brand name.. Like Pepsi. GNR has that brand name. Even if you don't like the current line up you cant discount that. The Foo Fighters don't have that draw power.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

but the foo's are as relevant as it gets...gnr is a nostalgia act until it proves itself otherwise...and with the nostalgia label comes some pretty big shoes to fill...if they are tryign to gain that GH audience then the material better be comparable to the stuff on GH

I dunno just cuz a GH sells great doesnt mean that a new studio album will...you think Jo Blow who bought GH cuz its feelgood music form his childhood is gonna give a crap about new material? its like me buying a Def Leppard, Warrant or Poison GH even though i couldnt give 2 shits about new material...hell throw in Skid Row - 40 seasons as well...i own that, but i have no interest in Angel Down...even with Axl on there

nostalgia and new music are 2 totally different animals

EDIT: I wouldnt doubt that nearly half of the GNR GH sales are from people who no longer own any gnr albums and they decided that it would be cool to have the hits on CD again...for $10 you cant go wrong

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

All those GH albums don't have the sales that GNR's does. In a world where music is at a click away a GH album has stayed on the charts for 4 years and it keeps selling. That shows there is interest there still. I'm not saying CD will sell cause of the GH I'm just saying the interest is still there and some people believe it is not. The thing with GNR is it wont be about nostalgia because it's a different and newer band. It's a different animal and people can accept it or not but if Guns drop the album it will sell and it will reach the million mark within a month. You can write that down and if it doesn't I'll record myself singing Every Rose in a speedo and post it on the net.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

better get practicing and working out 16

Artist GUNS 'N ROSES
Title GREATEST HITS
Certification Date 04/11/2006
Label GEFFEN
Award Description 3.00x MULTI PLATINUM
Format ALBUM
Category GROUP
Type ST

Artist POISON
Title GREATEST HITS 1986-1996
Certification Date 11/03/2005
Label CAPITOL
Award Description 2.00x MULTI PLATINUM
Format ALBUM
Category GROUP
Type ST

Artist DEF LEPPARD
Title VAULT - GREATEST HITS
Certification Date 06/20/2005
Label MERCURY
Award Description 4.00x MULTI PLATINUM
Format ALBUM
Category GROUP
Type ST

Artist BON JOVI
Title CROSSROAD
Certification Date 10/15/1998
Label MERCURY
Award Description 4.00x MULTI PLATINUM
Format ALBUM
Category GROUP
Type ST

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

Throwin the curve ball with Bon Jovi. Not in your original post. Look at Poisons. That album was released in 1996 and is at 2 million. GNR in 2004 and in the download age with 4 million. Def was also released in the mid 90's and is at 4 million. GNR will be over 5 million if the pace continues and it was only released four years ago.

Edit: GNR is over 4 million at the latest report of sales.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

you mentione BJ in a previous post 16

GnR had more fans back in the day than any of these other bands...just saying that alot of those old fans are buying this GH as a feelgood cd to have in the car on the way to work...drop the kids off at daycare and thrown in GnR...blam all of a sudden they are 18 again for 20 minutes or so until the commute is over...i would wager that 10% or less of the sales figures of GH is from "current" fans who even know what is going on with CD...

dollars to donuts that the majority of people who are buying the GH will be the same ones who will be saying "WTF! Where the fuck is slash and what the fuck is a bumblefoot?"

Board footer