You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Marc Canter interview (W/ CD mention)

Mikkamakka wrote:

The guy is as objective as Ross Halfin, Mick Wall or Del James. He said that 'Axl never lies', didn't he? 2

Sky Dog wrote:

Slash's version of the breakup.:bs:  However, I think Axl and Slash are BOTH full of shit. This guy is friends with both so he may know a little more than you Mikka.:thumbup:

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

This is no different than the reviews of the show.  I don't believe any of it as fact.  It's one man's opinion and as close as he seems to think he was to everything, he wasn't.  He has an outsider's opinion.  2 people really know the whole story and neither of them is named Marc.  Slash has his story and Axl is afraid to tell his.  It is what it is.  Who cares why - the best band in the world is no more and all that's left is 2 bands that blow compared to what we had when it was one band.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Hold the phone, I missed something. How come we're all so sure the guy posting on mygnr and htgth is Marc Canter?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

This is no different than the reviews of the show.  I don't believe any of it as fact.  It's one man's opinion and as close as he seems to think he was to everything, he wasn't.  He has an outsider's opinion.  2 people really know the whole story and neither of them is named Marc.  Slash has his story and Axl is afraid to tell his.  It is what it is.  Who cares why - the best band in the world is no more and all that's left is 2 bands that blow compared to what we had when it was one band.

Word.

Anyway, I think that 12 years after the break-up there could be more interesting things to talk about. Unfortunately there isn't any. It shows what the real deal was. Sad that those times will never come back.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Hold the phone, I missed something. How come we're all so sure the guy posting on mygnr and htgth is Marc Canter?

I believe it, and if it was bullshit, Madison would have probably pulled the plug on the posts.

If BBF can lurk here and chat once in a blue moon, why cant Canter post at HTGTH or mygnr?

The myth and soap opera is winding down, so its no shock that various people close to the GNR camp are talking publicly.

One thing I have always found odd is how every person that has heard the record is unable to remember any real details concerning what they heard.

Its always "Its great, but I don't remember". Yeah right. After hearing Kala for the first time, I posted a pretty in depth review of the record. These guys get to basically ride a unicorn with the tooth fairy tagging along to grab the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, yet cant remember any details.

Cant be all that impressive if you cant even single out any memorable things about the album. I've been saying it for ages, but I think we've heard the best this band has to offer(minus maybe a couple songs). If someone doesn't like the material so far, you're probably not going to like the record if/when its released.

Sky Dog wrote:

For the record, IF the leaks are the best we will get........I will be highly disappointed.:sick: Whether or not you like the record is a subjective thing anyway. I mean if I was to go back to May 1991 prior to the release of the Illusions and compare the unreleased Illusion songs I heard played live in Noblesville Indiana (Nov Rain, Estranged, Dust n Bones, Double Talkin Jive, 14 years, etc) plus the studio Civil War that was already on radio, those songs blow away (imo) the 10 potential tracks we have heard from the new band. I like the new band songs, but they simply aren't as good as Estranged or Civil War. Again though, subjective opinion.

I still think Axl has some hidden gems and that the songs we have heard will be alot better once properly released, but I do have lingering doubts after a decade of waiting. ....The new band contractually started on May 1st 1998 when Slash and Duff officially left the books of Geffen and were relieved of costs for producing a new gnr record...just an fyi.:peace:

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Gretchen Wieners wrote:

One thing I have always found odd is how every person that has heard the record is unable to remember any real details concerning what they heard.

Its always "Its great, but I don't remember". Yeah right. After hearing Kala for the first time, I posted a pretty in depth review of the record. These guys get to basically ride a unicorn with the tooth fairy tagging along to grab the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, yet cant remember any details.

Cant be all that impressive if you cant even single out any memorable things about the album. I've been saying it for ages, but I think we've heard the best this band has to offer(minus maybe a couple songs). If someone doesn't like the material so far, you're probably not going to like the record if/when its released.

It can be very hard to differentiate between songs when they all have a slow, grinding, doom metal riff tongue

I don't know that we've heard the best this band has to offer but likewise the remaining unheard songs aren't going to totally blow away anything we've heard so far either. I think when we get CD it'll be the tracks we've heard along with some 'more of the same'. When CR reviewed the leaks last year they mentioned they'd heard other tracks inc. Prostitute and Atlas Shrugged and they described them as similar in feel and quality to the other leaks. There was no special mention for Prostitute, long rumoured to be GNR's best new track, it was compared and likened to the other leaks, nothing more than that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Madagas and APE--

I do agree there are likely at least a couple tracks unheard that are on par or better than what we have heard so far. But since songs from 01-02 keep popping up no matter how many years pass, we have obviously heard half the record. There will be few surprises if its ever released. Main surprise will likely be the production quality and who is actually on the tracks.

Madagas, while you make a good point about those UYI tracks being incredible at the time, I try not to compare the old band's discography to what we are hearing from the CD lineup.

The only tracks so far that stand up to the old material are CD, CITR, the TWAT outro, The Blues circa 2002, and Madagascar 2001. Better is cool but a bit of a mess. The fact that three of the songs I just listed are Axl's fave tracks from the CD sessions tells us there are very few surprises left. I'm hoping Prostitute comes out of left field and blows people away. Key word there is hope. The fact its been worked on since 98 and is rarely mentioned anymore tells me its not the epic many expected.

A songs thats heavy but with cellos and violins sounds like a potential mess. Soundgarden/Metallica meets the Cure?? Could be interesting but not likely a classic.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i think cause of the quantity of songs that are confirmed to be done and the fact that "quality" is subjective and everyone has their own individual preferences in music, there will be plenty of songs for all of us to enjoy if they release more than one disc. 

if they release a 13 track cd only with all of the leaks, for me, i will be a little disspointed at first cause i have already worn out the leaks but i am certain they will be so much better to listen in there final form. if you notice, these songs had already changed significantly in there live '06 versions from the demo form. studio versions will be another notch perfected by the band and will kick ass if they are not overproduced, that is. which is my main concern right now. "overproduced" is a term many have thrown here on the forums and by some writers that have heard tracks and is on the minds of axl and the gnr camp as we know they read the forums. That is a part of why he gives us leaks and plays the cd at strip clubs, i believe; to gauge the reactions.

AXL will not release a crappy cd at this point. That's a part of what is taking so long. We know this much is true - just gotta remember some time.

Board footer