You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

Re: DR. PEPPER ISSUES CHALLENGE TO AXL ROSE!

elmir wrote:

it looks like Kaneda is going to have his way with Axl after all.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

It's pathetic that the official website still doesn't have a word about CD being completed, yet Axl had something to say about the Dr. Pepper thing on the very next day. If it wasn't enough, the unofficial official 'fan' site deletes the info and later posts Axl's statement before that appears on the official site. This is a joke, I feel ashamed again to be a GN'R fan. 17

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Wow, I suppose this is legit, either that or Axl doesn't have anything to do with it. But wow, I just really hope this is the beginning of something. I mean it is an original way to promote an album, free can to every US citizen I mean come on, and even it wasn't intentional well I would say they should just use this, I mean it's been appearing on loads of US news sites so a lot of people besides the hardcore fans must know about this. Like James said if nothing comes of this GN'R just pissed away the best marketting chance they have, hell this is better coverage than touring for months got them. This way anyone who watches the news knows about this!

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

A very smart move from Axl to respond.

The story was spreading like wildfire and now all interested media outlets can include Axl's comments to their blurbs. Now, GNR can also breath easier after saying they're not directly affiliated, and cannot be held accountable come what may. Axl also seized the opportunity to side with Bucket, which was the least he could do, all things considered. No free Dr Peppers for Slash, it seems.

Take it as it is.

Beta: Album done since December '07.
Axl: Buckethead on the album (as of March '08).

Outcome: Buckethead featured on the album - end of story.

gnfnraxl wrote:

I'll put on my positive hat which is very dusty by the way.

Suits you, ol' chum. Me, I'll settle for my 'indifferent' sombrero for the time being. I was already wondering when the next leaf of insanity would be turned in this megalomanious saga.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Good post from Kbear at mygnr:

I can't believe that everyone seems to think GN'R aren't in on this.

Of course Dr. Pepper says GN'R isn't involved and of course GN'R says they aren't involved. The whole promotion is based on the idea that this is a challenge to Axl to release the album and that there isn't anything in it for Mr. Rose other than seeing Dr. Pepper give everyone a free drink. If they admit Axl is involved then you know it's promotion and you know the album is coming. The challenge is over before it even began.

Let's pretend Axl isn't in on it. Think what happens if the album doesn't come out. Dr. Pepper will run with this campaign probably all year (or at least into the fall). It will make people interested in the band and get their hopes up. Then no album. Axl ends up looking bad, Dr. Pepper ends up looking bad, the whole thing just has no payoff. No...if Axl wasn't in on this he wouldn't have issued his release. He'd have issued Cadbury/Schwepps a legal document instead, because he'd be pissed at how this would end up making him look.

And if the album does come out then Dr. Pepper is on the hook for the cost of the free drinks. Yes they can estimate it and yes it won't be as high as 300 million x $0.80 but it will still be an unquantified liability. Why would they open themselves up to this potential hit if they didn't have some sort of payoff negotiated with GN'R? Answer: they wouldn't. They will do something with GN'R, like be the sole drink provider on the tour or something of that nature. Companies don't just open themselves up to uncertain liability, and for what? A cheap bit of media attention for a day or two before the likely event that Axl shoots them down through his lawyers?

I think this might be it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

except that a can of DrP prolly only costs them a dime to make

so 3,000,000 x $0.10 = $300,000 whoop-dee-doo for a huge company...remember tacobell gave out free tacos in the world series to everyone in america a couple years ago? same thing really

Axl can still throw this back on the record label anyway..."well i wanted it out but the label didnt agree with me...we are still in negotiations" other than a slight media buzz we are in the same situation as yesterday regarding CD imo

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

yikes

It's incredible how much info Axl's tiny little message contains!

1. It's in the record company's hands.
2. It will come out this year.
3. It will have BH on it.
4. Axl has no input, or very little input on the promotion part of things, he's just waiting for the album to be released, just like us. He seems to be happy with this initiative, which might force the record company to release it!

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Dr Pepper issues challenge to Guns N' Roses

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Many have tried, but so far nobody has been able to pry the decade-in-the-works Guns N' Roses album "Chinese Democracy" from the hands of lone remaining original member Axl Rose.

Now, Dr Pepper thinks it's up to the challenge. The soft drink company says it will give a free can of Dr Pepper to "everyone in America" (excluding ex-Guns members Slash and Buckethead) if "Chinese Democracy" arrives anytime during the calendar year 2008.

Rose responded on his band's web site (http://www.gunsnroses.com) that the band was "surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr Pepper." But the offer did not prompt him to rose to the challenge.

"Chinese Democracy" was most recently scheduled for release in March 2007, but promptly vanished from the schedule without a new date being set. Rose said at the time that all the recording had been completed, but there were some "scheduling difficulties."

It will be the first album of fresh Guns N' Roses material since the 1991 sets "Use Your Illusion I" and "Use Your Illusion II." Rose has reportedly burned through $13 million in recording expenses for "Chinese Democracy," and also burned his bridges with the bandmates who helped him turn Guns into one of the biggest rock groups in the world by the early 1990s.

Reuters/Billboard

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080327/en_nm/pepper_dc

thanks to Drew @ HTGTH

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Neemo wrote:

except that a can of DrP prolly only costs them a dime to make

so 3,000,000 x $0.10 = $300,000 whoop-dee-doo for a huge company...remember tacobell gave out free tacos in the world series to everyone in america a couple years ago? same thing really

Axl can still throw this back on the record label anyway..."well i wanted it out but the label didnt agree with me...we are still in negotiations" other than a slight media buzz we are in the same situation as yesterday regarding CD imo

It wouldn't be a big thing for Dr. Pepper, but it could end up being a big thing for Axl. His response pretty much confirms that he's in on it.

Of course, that doesn't mean it'll happen, but at least something's going on.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Of course, that doesn't mean it'll happen, but at least something's going on.

definately...as James said....this is free media attention i hope they cash in on it 9

Board footer