You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: On the search for a new frontman:

jorge76 wrote:

The more I think about it, it kind of unbelievable to me that in this day and age they were working with someone and we didn't hear anything about it.

I don't mean that as I think it's bullshit or anything, I just mean, especially with the amount of publicity already around STP getting back together, that nothing got out to the public that the rest of the guys were working with someone else...  And I actually think the fact that it didn't get out is kinda cool.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well even though i dont want to beleive it....my head says that Baz will be the next singer...all the peices do seeem to fit...i'm definately intrigued as to who will be the guy who stepps in...i bet we wont have to wait long to find out

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I have to say I am struggling to get excited about a new VR singer.  A large part of me feels like they should just put VR to bed and leave it be.

Sure I love hearing Slash play and new music from them etc etc, but I just think it's over and time to move on.  To what I don't know - Slash his solo album probably.

All I can think is that this is a way for them to deliver a 3rd album (assuming that's what the original contract was).  If the new singer miraculously works out and more importantly they can write enough decent material then we may get another album after that.  But right now I feel like it's probably gonna be another lukewarm album then that will be it.  If that's the case I would rather they move on now.

Unless the existing VR guys are willing to work harder on writing good material and set a higher standard for themselves than last time, I don't see a major change to the end result.  Perhaps whichever vocalist they select can inject something into the songwriting department, although unless that vocalist is someone like Izzy Stradlin with his songwriting abilities I seriouslydoubt it.  Particularly if they go for a no name person then they will probably be unlikely to stand up and tell the rest of the band that the material is shit and needs more work.

Aussie

Aussie wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well even though i dont want to beleive it....my head says that Baz will be the next singer...all the peices do seeem to fit...i'm definately intrigued as to who will be the guy who stepps in...i bet we wont have to wait long to find out

Hey - just on that thought perhaps that is the phone call that Baz got last month just before he did that radio interview.

You may recall the one where he kept going "Fuck man"  "I just had a phone call that is gonna change my life" etc etc.

jorge76

jorge76 wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Unless the existing VR guys are willing to work harder on writing good material and set a higher standard for themselves than last time, I don't see a major change to the end result.  Perhaps whichever vocalist they select can inject something into the songwriting department, although unless that vocalist is someone like Izzy Stradlin with his songwriting abilities I seriouslydoubt it.  Particularly if they go for a no name person then they will probably be unlikely to stand up and tell the rest of the band that the material is shit and needs more work.

I actually enjoyed Libertad more than most people seemed to, but I completely agree with this. 

When a guy like Rick Rubin tells you that you need to put more into your songwriting you HAVE to listen to him, and not be afraid to do the work.  They will especially need to do that now.

Aussie

Aussie wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I actually enjoyed Libertad more than most people seemed to, but I completely agree with this. 

When a guy like Rick Rubin tells you that you need to put more into your songwriting you HAVE to listen to him, and not be afraid to do the work.  They will especially need to do that now.

True the music isn't horrible, I still play the CD and there a few songs I quite like on there.  It just leaves you with the feeling that's it's not quite there, there is something missing or it just needed a bit more work.

As you correctly say - they should have listened to Rick Rubin and perhaps he could have pushed it just that little bit more that it needed to be a really strong album.

Aussie

Aussie wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Hey - just on that thought perhaps that is the phone call that Baz got last month just before he did that radio interview.

You may recall the one where he kept going "Fuck man"  "I just had a phone call that is gonna change my life" etc etc.

I've just been thinking about this some more.  Bach got that phone call just before his SmartAss radio interview on the 5th March.  The first UK tour date I believe was the 15th March.

Then Slash in that recent Rolling Stone interview says the following:

"We actually worked with a guy, I won't mention his name, before we left to go to the UK and there just wasn't enough to break him in, so we're gonna work with him again some more, and maybe some other guys as well"

It's quite plausible that they tested Baz out on how he goes singing the existing catalogue of VR songs. That short timeframe between the phone call Baz got and VR being in the UK fits.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I can't see how anyone would suggest Baz is the man for the job considering they need a songwriter.  Songwriting is not the man's strong point.

For the record, I wasn't comparing Baz to Cherone... I was merely comparing the situation to Van Halen and what the band could turn into with him as the singer.  The songs would be weaker and irrelevant in today's music scene.  Take Baz's solo album for instance.  It had no impact at all in the music industry last year.  He's publicly viewed as a washed up 80s singer.  At least Scott was relevant to a more modern audience.  I brought Chris Robinson into the mix because they need someone with a more rock sound than Weiland, but less hair metal than Baz.  Someone else I'd like them to consider is Eric Dover.  Chris Cornell would be an interesting addition too.  Josh Todd (until that crappy song came out this year) would be relevant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Baz's work in Skid Row and respect him as a singer.  But to me he's way too irrelevant in today's music scene.  The guys in VR at least survived the 80s and aren't writing the same songs they did way back then.  Baz would just hold them back and turn them into a novelty act.

jorge76

jorge76 wrote:
Backslash wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I can't see how anyone would suggest Baz is the man for the job considering they need a songwriter.  Songwriting is not the man's strong point.

For the record, I wasn't comparing Baz to Cherone... I was merely comparing the situation to Van Halen and what the band could turn into with him as the singer.  The songs would be weaker and irrelevant in today's music scene.  Take Baz's solo album for instance.  It had no impact at all in the music industry last year.  He's publicly viewed as a washed up 80s singer.  At least Scott was relevant to a more modern audience.  I brought Chris Robinson into the mix because they need someone with a more rock sound than Weiland, but less hair metal than Baz.  Someone else I'd like them to consider is Eric Dover.  Chris Cornell would be an interesting addition too.  Josh Todd (until that crappy song came out this year) would be relevant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Baz's work in Skid Row and respect him as a singer.  But to me he's way too irrelevant in today's music scene.  The guys in VR at least survived the 80s and aren't writing the same songs they did way back then.  Baz would just hold them back and turn them into a novelty act.

I almost edited the post you quoted and added your first two sentences word for word. 

I probably wouldn't have been as nice about it though, since I'm not a fan of his, so I didn't. 

Completely unrelated, I actually liked the VH album with Cherone, it's biggest problen was it was Van Halen trying to do something they'd never done before, and no one wanted to hear that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm kinda the opposite to Nemo in that I'd like to see it happen, but I'm not sure its truely likely. I'll grant that phone thing with Baz fits the timeline nicley - but i'm not too sure I can see it happening. The last part of that interview where where he says "Scott should come up with something more imaginative" sounds a bit like a denial to me. Maybe its just cos its not cemented yet though.

As for the songwriting. I think scott leaving, regardless of who joins, could inject some fresh chemestry and ideas. While I like some of scots songs especially his hooks, his lyrics are not always the best and he does get repedative. My real problem with his sound though is that it always seemed to me like a dubious match with the rest of VR. Consider when he said slash and izy have him 2 full CDs of riffs or whatever and that they all sucked...hard to believe...

Board footer